bfg m/ts or x-terrains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bfg m/ts or x-terrains

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

x terrains look cooler... but the bfgs look cool as well... i would get the bfgs for more street minded.... they will prob be quieter due to not having a huge chevron pattern and they are both prob around the same tire compound....

Actually, it's the other way around.

The MTs get better traction offroad, while the XTs are generally better onroad and have less noise. Treadwear is similar.

If you get the XTs, get an MT or AT spare due to the directional tread pattern of the XT.

Think of the XT as between an AT and MT in terms of traction and road manners.

Originally posted by Alec
If you get the XTs, get an MT or AT spare due to the directional tread pattern of the XT.

I was JUST gonna tell him that! I made the mistake of buying 5 of the XT's. Dumb,dumb,dumb......

Jim

even with a directional tire though for a spare, if its only a short distance it will be fine.....

alec, i thought the xt was more agressive than a mud? what exactly is it classified as?

The XT has both the benefits of an AT and MT. A true mud tire will do better in mud though. The XT is as good if not better in other terrains.

They recommend not going above 50 mph for less than 50 miles running the XT the wrong way as a spare. I'd still get an non-directional spare, I ran a used BFG MT as a spare and luckily never had to use it.

i have another set of tires and rims, to run for spares and in the summer. how many miles can the x-terrians get ?

They have a 50k warranty, mine were going to get about that; they were about 75% at 15k.

so do you get new tires if they dont last 50k

i would get mt/rs but i thought they were a lot more than the x-terrains

BFG MT .VS. GY mt/r

The goodyear mt/rs are $153.99. They are 31X10.50R15LT.
The procomp x terrains are 168.99 a tire. They are 31x12.5015.
PeAcE

Yep, the Pro-Comps are a little more and do not have the sidewall that the MTR's have. I have a friend that works for 4WP and he bought the MTR's.

Rick, RangerX, Paul Bredehoft, Tom Davis, myself, etc.. all run the MTR's. When we were on the Rubicon, the majority of the tires were MTR's of all the rigs I saw out there. The only two flats I saw were a BFG and a Super Swamper, all due to sidewall tears.

GET THE GOODYEAR'S

I have had both and have been happier with the Xterrains. Little noisier. But I have beet the crap out of the sidewals and pinched then on rocks and rubbed them on rocks and no problems. They also dig much better than the M/Ts. Both clean out about the same.

Back