a/f ratio 5.0?

DarkFox1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Augusta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
was wondering waht the stock a/f ratio was on the 5.0? I have a smell that occures most of the time above 3500 rpm, makes my eyes water, ford says all cars do this but I've never smelt this before, its not cats I had em checked

heres my a/f ratio on my dyno read last year

dyno3.jpg

thank in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure I am understanding your Q. The computer will, in closed loop. look for and adjust for 14.7 (stoichiometric) A/F ratio. Someone told me at high throttle settings the closed loop opened, but I have not demonstrated that on any FORD vehicle yet. It will bounce around, but always close to the 14.7/1 ratio. HTH.

Happy Exploring

Chris

what I was asking was for taht 14.7 # you mentioned, is that richer.. or leaner than what my chart says?

my truck has been known to be very slow, suck gas and smell bad under heavy throttle, I was tryin to see if maybe its running rich (thats why its called the lemoneer)

the dyno chart there SAYS 17.5, but it doesn't show more than about 13.5

Your best bet is to go to www.corral.net and pose the same question. They all watch the a/f number closely @ dyno testing.

Or, actually - email Brian w/ Apten. He will tell you right away if it is off.

From looking at your dyno chart you are running a little rich but nothing that should be making your eyes burn. If your max a/f was 17.5:1 your truck would have blown up from lack of fuel. You want your fuel right around 13:1
Your chart looks like its right around 13 (13:1) unless you are using a power adder. If you go above 13 you are running lean and below 13 you are running rich. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I have a smell that occures most of the time above 3500 rpm, makes my eyes water, ford says all cars do this
Ford says all cars do this??? make a bad smell that makes your eyes water??? guys my X is broken then, cause it dont stink at WOT or any other time...

your A/F looks good. you're running around 13 or so, which is fine. face reality.... you have a bum tranny. ford also told you its supposed to jerk when it shifts. well, its not supposed to. stop listening to your Ford dealer. :nono:

na that was a long time ago, same time as when it went in 4 consecutive times for tranny problems.

oddly enough, I think I've found a solution to my power and shifting problems, but it sont what I want to do.

if I turn the a/c off... its a 100% different vehicle.. it brakes easier, it accelerates harder (still same 0-60 time tho) the exhaus tsounbds better.. it shifts at different times and at a consistant lower intensity... does the pcm change all this just cos of an a/c compressor?? I've tested on/off before summer/winter but its only been the past month that I've noticed this difference.

The smell is something I'm backtracking on, it still does it, its very annoying, but i've managed to be an old-manish driver and keep the rpms under 3500

Back