back from Beasly Knob in Georgia, WOW! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

back from Beasly Knob in Georgia, WOW!

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
well.. just got back from a trip up to beasly knob. it was my first time as well as everyone in the group. group consited of:

me- 99 sport, 33s, locked rear
josh adams- 01 ranger, 34s, LS
paul- 00 4runner, 33s, LS, winch dubbed Ford Recovery Vehicle now as well as Most Valuable Wheeler
max- 97? land cruiser, 35s, LS, winch
randy- YJ (forget year), 35s, locked front/rear randy met us after we had been through the hard stuff as he had to work that morning.

well, i'd hear someone say beasly was rated as one of the hardest trails on the east coast. i'd also heard that it was about like moderate trails at tellico. and i'd heard one person say it was flat (he had never been). well... the first one was correct! this place was so much more difficult than the tellico trails i have been on. it had rained the night before so the trails were a little wet, as in hard to walk on without falling down. hill climbs, ruts deeper than 33s, and lots of clay is what the trail was like.

we started out letting paul lead since he had a winch and is a pretty dang good driver too. so we are going along and less than half a mile, we go up this STEEP hill with deep ruts and two big rocks at the top that seemed to be placed perfectly so a front tire and a back tire them at the same time. well after many attempts, he has to winch over those rocks. max's ascent ends up the same way. josh hauls it up the hill and gets stuck on the rocks too. so paul turns around up top, ties the back to a tree and winches josh up. same thing for me. so we are all pumped now and wondering how the rest of the trip is going to be. so after a while we get to another little section. paul hits it over and over and over trying to get up. we stack rocks.. nothing. we try different approaches, nothing. just as he is ready to winch himself up, he gives it one more try and somehow gets his tire up on the side and it got him over the rock that was catching him. it took about 15 tries and a lot of bouncing and throttle but he did it. max does it in the first try :eek: thanks to a heavy foot and some big 35s. we all stare in amazement. josh gives it about as many tries as paul did as well as giving us a smoke show. at this point the area is dug out horribly. he takes a winch from paul who has turned around again. same thing for me. i feel like i could have gotten over if i would just lay on the gas but i am always worried i'm gonna break something like that. my truck began overheating during my tries as well. either way.. i took the winch. so at this point the two yotas just schooled us and paul's truck was dubbed the Ford Recovery Vehicle.
we stopped here to eat lunch and let my truck cool down. at this point, the Southern Jeeps club comes up behind us in some really nicely built rigs. the first guy goes over that spot without slowing down. (38s, locked, etc...) the next bunch all have trouble and take multiple tries but do get up the obstacle. all were in 35s or up and locked front and rear, except one that was just locked rear. we decided we didn't feel so bad after that.
next obstacle... a LONG rutted climb. paul goes up at full throttle. max does the same. i think the 35s made helped max a lot because that's about how deep the ruts were! josh goes up and his ATs stop him a little way up. he backs down a bit and goes again and makes it. i start and immediately drive into a hole planting my bumper firmly into the ground. i don't know where that thing came from! oops! back up.. go again, around the hole and up the hill. it was like a roller coaster!
we get to what is called "rattlesnake hill" and its listed as "most difficult." the jeeps were there going up the bypass which was NOT easy. we watched some of the jeeps go up. most did it without a lot of problems that we saw. paul goes up.. gets stopped pretty quick and after a few tries winches up. at this point, it was VERY evident that front locker would have done wonders on this trail. max gives it a go and almost goes off the side of the mountain! whew.. he winched up after that. that. josh gives it a go and gets stopped where paul did. paul once again, has to turn around and winch josh up. i give it a go and the rear locker helps me push past the area that was hanging everyone else up, but not enought to get me to the top. i try a time or two again, and then take the winch. finally a ford makes it the furthest though! randy was at the top of this and is where he hooked up with us. he had come in the other way. randy was a member of southern jeeps but decided to ride on with us instead since they were all going to try toward the tougher stuff.
next hill is the most rutted of all. we all get up without taking a winch but it does take a lot of throttle and is another roller coaster ride. i almost rolled when my tire caught and went up the bank a little.. scary. after that, it was out the trails to lot.

at this point, we all parted our ways and headed home. all i can saw about this trip is WOW! it was very touch and i don't know how none of us broke anything with the amount of wheel spin and throttle and bouncing that took place.
THANKS TO PAUL for winching us out of everything. he just put on some of that new nylon rope stuff and wanted to see how it worked.. well it worked! and we used it a lot! i really enjoyed this group of folks. no attitudes. everyone got along and had a great time.

and pics...
http://wecool.net/trips/BeaslyKnob/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a great time. Nice pics. I can't wait to get another DD. (I have the gf all but talked into not trading in the Ex. I need a "winter" car) Then comes the 33's, herc, sawzall, and damage.

Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip, wish I could have been there, you would have had plenty of weight on the right side to make those tires bite haha.

Nice pictures Jason.

Yep, like Jason said, it was a very interesting day. Here's my view of it, I won't be back anytime soon I think. Not until I get a trail rig built w/front and rear lockers and winch, and about 37s. This place is undoubtedly the hardest place I've been to so far. I can't wait to try some of the harder trails at Tellico now!! The Knob is, for the most part, straight up a mountain or 7 mountains. It felt like we were at a 35 degree angle most of the day and at times more, I guess thats were an inclometer comes in handy.

Anyway, I had a blast and was kinda scared to death the whole time. Especially after seeing the 2 Toyotas almost go over the side of the mountain at the Rattlesnake bypass.

On an advisory note for those who may want to go there. Don't take anything TOO tall. The lower you are to ground with as big a tire you can fit, no less than 33's and thats pushing it, alot. Don't go there without someone with a winch, and definately don't go alone even if you have a winch.

I am uploading my digital pics now, and will get them up in a little bit.

My hat goes off to Paul and his winch. Thanks a bunch.

those are actually pauls pictures. i only got like 3 good ones. i never felt like running back down a hill to the truck and back up just to take a pic.

yes i agree with that josh said.... 33s were not really big enough for the trail that day at least.

Here is a pic looking down a hill at Jason.
2799tellico_041.jpg

Paul's 4Runner
2799tellico_040.jpg

Another of Paul's
2799tellico_039.jpg

Thats all the good pics I have from the digital. My others have to be developed.

Whoa! Great trip reports. Sorry I couldn't make it; it would have been interesting to have a direct Explorer comparison to see how much difference 35's and front locker would have made.

Looks awesome guys!

I sure wish i could find some guys that wanted to go wheelin like you all do. No one seems to want to go or has the truck for it.

one thing i did notice after this trip was the difference in basic clearance of different vehicles. i was the sucker there with the nice low hanging spring hangers and perches. our trucks seem to have much less frame, diff, front arm clearance than the yotas. oh well!
and you would have been the most built vehicle there gerald.. by far. my rear locker only really helped in one spot. a front one on the other hand.. would have made a HUGE difference i think. i'll go back up there with one day if you want, but its gotta be DRY!
when hauling ass up the rutted climbs, i could just hear my spring perches hitting stuff and could see the lines they left in the dirt. i felt like i was pulling a plow.

larger tires and a front locker would have made this place normal, but for mildly built rigs like mine and the other guys in our group, it was crazy.

2 things on my to do list:
pull off an SOA with only a small amount of lift
get a winch

Originally posted by jasonb
pull off an SOA with only a small amount of lift

good luck! :p

yeah i think i'll need it. doesn't look like its gonna be an easy task

Originally posted by jasonb
yeah i think i'll need it. doesn't look like its gonna be an easy task
Put your mono leafs back on :D

and without doing that... :)

ditch the leafs and go with a 4 link and coilovers :D

Where do you want these pictures of these leafs???

Great write-up and pics! Seams you had a great time. Looking forward to hitting the trails with you guys, but it will be some time before I'll get the time.

Back