• Register Today It's free!

Rear door

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
On the rear door frame there is a stud on either side with a plastic sheath around the middle. This stud catches the latch on either side of the door to hold the door closed.

Yesterday, the sheath on either side cracked leaving a bare metal stud on either side. The rear door is now hard to close and when it does close you can move the door back and forth. There is now pronounced wind noise in the vehicle. Anyone know a way to fix it or a part number for the plastic sheath? Any home remedies?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt

I imagine you are talking about the rear liftgate right?

The striker (metal stud) on the rt side attached to the body on my Ex began to move several years ago . I tightened it back into place and it did make the door a little more difficult to latch properly, and I'm not sure that its totally fixed.

Anyway, a decent bodyshop or Ford dealer service tech should be able to diagnose your problem without charging for it.

If you have pix of exactly what you are talking about, post 'em, it helps.

I dont think a plastic piece, even when removed would affect a door latching properly or wind noise

Good Luck

Mine is cracking now. I don't think that the plastic can be replaced without buying the whole striker, but I may be wrong. I assume the extra play of the smaller striker with no plasic is where your wind noise is coming from. For a temp. fix you could wrap it in electrical tape. This works for a while. ;)

I assume the extra play of the smaller striker with no plasic is where your wind noise is coming from.

Yup, that is what is happening. I was thinking the right size piece of pcv pipe would fit.

ttt

The Striker. I haven't found aplace that sells just the plastic PVC and the sizes the hardware store sells as Conduit is the wrong size. $13 at an auto parts store will buy you a new one.

A large Torx socket and 5 minutes will get the job done.

draw a pencil mark around the old one before you take it off, they are designed to swim on the Door Frame for alignment purposes so you will want to be sure it ends up where the original one was.

I just did this Friday. I don't have the Part number of the HELP manufactured Striker if I remember I will get it tonight, the container is still sitting on my workbench.

Thanks Tony! That is what I was looking for. If you could get the part number I would greatly appreciate it. Both of mine have disentegrated so I can't mark where they were. ;(

We're going to trade my truck in the next month, so I am trying to fix all the little things.

I just called my son at home.

Most Auto parts stores have those HELP sections. All the little misc parts all packaged in Red shrink wrap.

The Bolt Striker for all four doors on the '91 is HELP #38445.

I went back and read your original Post. You didi meant the Doors and not the rear Hatch, correct?

The rear hatch may be different, I don't have the car here at work.

Yes, I am looking for the rear hatch. I'll take a look and see if they are the same. Thanks for the effort all the same!

I looked last night at the rear hatch. The Striker is a different size but the fix is the same.
I don't have a part number for the rear hatch Striker but you can unbolt one and walk into the Auto Store with it to match up. Dimensionally it looks exactly like the Striker that is used on the Mid 80's Chevy full size trucks.

Back