how are stock running boards mounted?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how are stock running boards mounted??

bigred93explrer

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
how are the stock runnin boards mounted? are they mounted to just the body? Trying to figure if i can keep them when i do my body lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, just to the body... Wouldnt it be easy enough to lay under the truck and just look? But you can lift it with no problems.

LUTFT! ;)
I asked the same thing last night... they are mounted to the body :eek:

I just took mine off my 03 last week, pending the arival of a set of nerf bars.
3 heavy angle brackets hold up each running board and are attached with 2 nuts, and 1 or 2 bolts mounted waaaaay up under the body. A jack would have made it easier to get them off, but a long extension on the rachet worked as well.

Kevin

Originally posted by captainkev
I just took mine off my 03 last week, pending the arival of a set of nerf bars.
3 heavy angle brackets hold up each running board and are attached with 2 nuts, and 1 or 2 bolts mounted waaaaay up under the body. A jack would have made it easier to get them off, but a long extension on the rachet worked as well.

Kevin
I think the 3rd Gen is going be different than a 1st Gen, but maybe not?

sorry guys i was at school and didnt have access to my truck for a while. curiosity was killing me so i had to ask. So i can do the body lift and keep the running boards without having to make any custom brackets or anything?/

Yup, and they will look nice and dandy.

On the first gen Ex, the running boards are snapped into the body. I removed mine last year because the rocker where rotten, I replaced the rocker but never put back the running, did not want to drill into the new rockers.

As for your question, Yes you can lift the body without removing the running boards.:D

:D bwahhahahah I think that's the RTFM equivalent on 4x4 boards. Too funny.

Running Boards

I asked this same question a while back. I have a 96 Sport and bought OEM Running Boards from a salvage yard in Florida. They came with the brackets, but I cannot see where they "just" attach to the rocker panels. I looked underneath and did not think that a mounting to the rocker panel would be sturdy enough. The Ford Body Shop tells me there are additional brackets that come with the factory installed boards that attach to the inside fasciae of the rockers. I believe he said they were welded in there, which means that if I wanted to install these OEM tubular boards, I would need something to mount them to because they do not align to anything whatsover. Who has taken off or installed OEM boards and can shed some light on this topic? I hate to think that I purchased boards that will become backyard torphies. Thanks in advance.:redexp: :redexp:

Look again. There are 3 brackets, each bracket has 3 bolts. There are threaded holes in the rockers. This is plenty strong for step boards, but don't plan on using them as rock sliders

Running Boards

Originally posted by Hokie
Look again. There are 3 brackets, each bracket has 3 bolts. There are threaded holes in the rockers. This is plenty strong for step boards, but don't plan on using them as rock sliders

Hokie:

There are 3 brackets on the running board and each bracket has 3 levels of holes but where are these threaded holes in the rockers. My brackets from the running boards do not align to any frame part on the body of the vehicle. Do you have a picture? I am not slow, I have been up under the vehicle so many times looking for an attachment point. What about the driver's side and the gas lines; any hints here?

:redexp: :redexp:

No pictures, sorry... Assuming your '96 is like our old '98 Sport and my '99 Sport...

Lay on your back under the truck, with your body sticking out perpendicular to the truck and with your head right under the frame rail and look up and out (back towards your feet)

The body has the section of the rocker that extends past the floor board and comes straight down to wrap around the frame. On the vertical section OF THE BODY, NOT THE FRAME there will be 3 sets of holes that align with the brackets for the running boards. The fuel/brake lines run on the frame, and the the running boards attach to the BODY. There may be dirt and crap covering them. It may help to lay the running board on the ground under the truck and then look directly above the mounting brackets to locate the holes.

No one said you were slow, closer inspection and you'll see what i'm talking about but you will have to lay under the truck to see them..haha... LUTFT! ;)

Oh yeah, welcome to the site BTW! Here you will find plenty of ***** like me to help you out and tell you to LUTFT ;) No seriously, this is a great site and will be very helpful to you and the guys here are alot of fun too! One word of warning, once the mod bug hits you, you're truck will be sitting higher, with bigger tires, and plenty of trail pinstriping and various other body dings ;)

Running Boards

No pictures, sorry... Assuming your '96 is like our old '98 Sport and my '99 Sport...

Lay on your back under the truck, with your body sticking out perpendicular to the truck and with your head right under the frame rail and look up and out (back towards your feet)

The body has the section of the rocker that extends past the floor board and comes straight down to wrap around the frame. On the vertical section OF THE BODY, NOT THE FRAME there will be 3 sets of holes that align with the brackets for the running boards. The fuel/brake lines run on the frame, and the the running boards attach to the BODY. There may be dirt and crap covering them. It may help to lay the running board on the ground under the truck and then look directly above the mounting brackets to locate the holes.

No one said you were slow, closer inspection and you'll see what i'm talking about but you will have to lay under the truck to see them..haha... LUTFT! ;)

Re: Running Boards

Originally posted by Grey Ghost
Hokie:

Look at the this photo, I have since spent some time looking at both the running boards and the truck and my truck does not have any pre-drilled threaded holes. I need to find the hardware, fasteners, that will allow me to drill, tap in the treaded insert, so that I can bolt in the brackets. The brackets can be adjusted to about any position on the running board; insofar as you drill new holes and put in the treaded inserts. Does anyone know where I can find the treaded inserts. I checked hardware stores this weekend and I could find nothing. The insert, when tapped in, must seat somehow so that when you screw in the bolt it does not turn in the hole.

Attachments

• runniing board.jpg
    runniing board.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 860

I've used mine as sliders a few times. They're still there! :D Ask Fred, he was with me...if they break off, they break off. Either way it saves me some work. :cool:

Back