Help...power windows

Goober

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT4x4
A friend of mine has a problem with his power windows(Yes, an Explorer). The drivers windows started doing this erratic kind of pausing when rolling up and down. I thought it was the motor but then the passenger window started doing it, then one of the back windows. I then thought it to be the switch, but it still does it using the switches on the other doors(other than the drivers master switch). Could it really be all three window units are going bad at the same time or is there something someone has see and done to correct this similiar problem? Thanks.

Also, The rubber gaskets( the ones on the hub itself..~3.5-4" in diameter) on my Warn manuals have finally bitten the dust after my last service. Anyone know where I can get another set? Thanks...again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pausing you describe, is it like the window is jumping down erraticlly, or does it stop fully, then go again? If it is the fully stop, start again deal, my trucks right front did this, and it turned out to be the nylon gears inside the motor had crapped out, and were catching, then not..etc. There is a supplier of these gears based out of Florida. I cant remember there name, but maybe someone else will have the info. I got a replacement motor from O'Reilly. It was like 70 bucks I think, but worth it to have a working window again.

I can hear the motor. It keeps turning, but the window does not move(well, kinda jumpy). It still shocks me that three windows started doing about the same time.

Someone has got to of had some type of similiar trouble before?? Your help will be greatly appreciated.:D

Anyone about the Warn hub gasket? If new motors are needed, Anyone gutting their power windows or parting out an Exploder and gonna trash them?

El Bumperatisimo....... (bump)

Any help?? Anyone?

Mine too

My windows kinda fall down and then won't go back up the rear windows went first then my driverside went!!!!!!!! Is it the motor or what how the hell do you get the motor off???????????? Can't get up in that!

power windows

3 of my windows went out within a couple of months. it was the nylon rollers in the motor assmbly.
ther is a thread on the site Re: this - it even has pics!
I bought the spacers at a hardware store for approx $3.00
i had a hard time filing them down to the correct diameter - i finally used a drill with the spacer on a bolt and nut and used a wood rasp and file to reduce it to te correct dia. (wear safety glasses)
the pic with the thread shows where to drill the "dimple" in the front door to access the hidden bolt holding the motor in.
Good luck with the project mine works beautifly now and the $3.00 bill was a pleasant surprise :p

Back