How to mount stud mounted fogs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to mount stud mounted fogs?

Ive got some hella FF75s in the factory position..my idea isnt working well so far... this is how they mount:

ff03.jpg

I took the factory bracket, and bolted a piece of aluminum across the top to cover that hole in the middle. I then drilled through that and bolted up. Right now they hit the ground about 8feet in front of me...
I worked on this all day and got tired of it, I still need to try playing the bolts on the side and see if they will aim up enough.....

So how did you mount yours? Are the Explorer Express stud mount brackets worth the $$?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you bend the stock bracket?

I thought those bracket swivel, no? How about installing them upside down?

If the stock bracket is too high, so that when you bolt the lights to the bracket the lights dont fit in the openings then you have to lower the bracket.
I use a piece of flat metal about an inch wide (usually found at hdwe store called a mending iron, they are near the cornor brackets) drill a hole to mount the light to the flat metal and tow holes to mount the metal piece to the fog light bracket. I mount this with two 3" or longer bolts with three nuts per bolt. One nut to hold the iron to the bracket and the other two to hold & adjust the metal piece so the lights fit in the opening.
I,ll post a pic soon as I can find some batteries for the camera.

Hope this helps. I didnt put any washers on the demo but you should as they do help keep it all from shaking over bumps ect.

Attachments

• light bracket demo.jpg
    light bracket demo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 144

ok, your idea looks alot better than mine! Ive still got enough of that sheet of whatever it is I bought to make some of those. Im really not looking forward to goin back out there and tinkering with em though.

I dont know how thick your "sheet" is but if its too thin it'll be flimsy and the lights will shake.

it looks like the same stuff you have..I got it from the same part of home depot youre talkin about

ok, i went to home depot and couldnt find an actual bolt like that....are they screws? If so Im gonna kick my own ass here....

How long did it take you to get em aimed doing it that way? Right now Im so sick of screwing with it Im about to order those brackets from EE.

Ya , they could have a screw head or a blot head.
The first time I did it, it took awhile. The second was quicker and the third was long also.
But it gets the lights mounted & in use quicker than waiting for the mailman. Lot cheaper also...

well, maybe ill go to home depot again sometime this week, or maybe I wont. I took the brackets off and tied the wires outta the way for now.

Back