High idle in park 1,500rpm and 900rpm stopped in drive, help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High idle in park 1,500rpm and 900rpm stopped in drive, help!

Charlie's_93EB

Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Reaction score
City, State
Venice florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
OK, I really do not know what my truck is supposed to idle at in park, but 1,500 IS TOO HIGH for me, it did this one time before, so I shut off the truck and restarted, and went a way but not this time it did it all day! And when I would stop at a red light in drive the idle would not drop to 600rpm like norm, it would sit at about 1,000. I need help, anything, I deliver pizza in her, so no truck = no money, & no money = bad. I have the next few days off so I can take the bike to school and take time to fix her right!
PS 93' EB 76,000 miles

thanks in advance Charlie, (Tip your pizza guy!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is doing the same exact thing! As soon as I put it in park it jumps up to about 1400-1500. It IS NOT overheating at all when this occurs. So I would like to know as well. TTT

Sounds like your IAC vavle needs cleaned:D

I'd say either
1) vacuum leak
2) bad IAC,
3) bad or misadjusted TPS

I have a vac leak and it's causing a high idle, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. My mechanic said he knows I have a vac leak but he couldn't find it.

Are there any methods/strategies to finding vac leaks? I just adjusted my TPS and cleaned my IAC.

I had a problem with my throttle linkage not returning to the right position. If it was idling high I could pop the hood and actually push the linkage down it would idle normal. (on the intake manifold, it's the same linkage you use to rev the engine). Mine was just getting a bit worn out and also very dirty! A few good cleanings and some spray lubercant helped mine.

Just my .2 cents of the problem I had.

I had a very simialr problem with my 1993 XLT a few years ago, I think it actually occurred in 1998-99. The engine would rev up very high, but only after I let it idle and the engine got up to normal operating temp. At first it only occurred after idling for several minutes such as when you were at a restaurant drive thru or a bank. I took the vehicle to Rockwall Ford in Rockwall, TX and they replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor. The problem still existed and got worse. I made several trips to the service department with no success. No one in the service department could ever get the vehicle to experience the same problem. Once, when the engine was revving up and the service department was closed, I took one of the salemen for a test drive, not only did the engine rev up, it began bucking violently. We made it back to the dealership and turned it off. At last I had a witness from the dealership! The service department had the vehicle for several days and went over everything. They finally found a short. That is all they said, just a short. I usually ask to see exactly what was fixed but didn't this time. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! The revving and bucking problem was caused by a postive battery cable that had a worn spot on it. The cable was shorting out and causing the problem. How did I find this out? Approximately one year later, my Explorer would not start. I popped the hood and found that the smaller wire on the positive battery cable had broken. I held the wire to the battery while a nice passer-by started the engine for me. I drove home and began removing the battery cable to replace it. That is when I found the $350.00 repair Rockwall Ford made to my Explorer that indeed fixed the revving problem - about 12 inches of electrical tape!!

I went back to Rockwall Ford and demanded a new battery cable, they said no. I then wanted my money back for the original repair, they said no, they had fixed the problem. I went as far as contacting Ford Customer Service. They were an inch away from refunding me the entire $350.00 dollars until they asked how many miles I had on the vehicle. Since it was over 100,000, they didn't want to do anything, end of discussion. I thought it would have been reasonable for Rockwall Ford to give me a new battery cable, which they should have done instead of using electrical tape. I ended up buying a new cable from them to the tune of another $45.

I am happy to say I still own the Ford Explorer and it has over 163,000 miles on it. I keep my vehicles until they die.

I know this was long, but this is the first time I have ever related this story in a public forum.

My advise to you - check that battery cable before you do anything else. Mine was rubbed bare by the air intake housing that goes from the air filter over to the plenum. After replacing the cable, I slit a piece of 3/4 inch heater hose and put it around the battery cable to protect it in the future.

I have never experienced the problem again.

Hope this helps you.

BTW - I still like my Explorer

UPDATE:nothing:(
1:i looked at the vac. lines nothing:(
2:looked at the cables nothing:(
3:i did play with the throttle cable it has a zip tie on it :rolleyes: but it springs all the way back, so nothing:(
4: tomorrow I am going to go hunting for my IAC valve and the TPS i am sure I can find them in my haynes. I really could not do anything today, studying for a test for tomorrow 8 am and still have to go to class tonight wish me and FordExplorer18 luck!! And I will update as needed.

Thanks,
Charlie

Well?

Well, first i am sorry for the slow reply, i just got too busy with college, singing up for new class, and a ride-a-long, with Manatee County PD, (very cool), and work.sorry:(

But i did solve the problem, it was the throttle cable got loose and stuck there was some yellow glue on it, but at first i did not see an improvement that day. but the next day when i went to work, i drove for about 3 miles, and the idle dropped to the normal 600rpm in drive stopped, & in park the idle is 750- 800rpm ish. thanks to everyone i now have about five post-its in my haynes book of things that need to be done. And Raceit you win the prize for hitting it on the nose:D.

Thanks again

Back