• Register Today It's free!

2wd SAS

littleExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer
Is it possible to do a SAS on a 2wd without using the front diffy or is it required to go to 4x4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why woud you go SAS on a 2wd anyway??? If you were 2wd something like a long travel coilover kit would interest you more i think.

You can just have an axle up there with no driveshaft or T-case but that would be retarted and worthless.

But you could use the SAS to add a manual tcase and get 4wd.

isnt that conversion extremely hard to do?

Ummm.... A SAS is hard to do...

i see. well i just wanted to know if it was possible, and i guess it is so thanks for the replies.

If you manage to get the SAS done, adding 4x4 to it would be relative cake. Change the tranny output, rear driveshaft, add a tcase and front shaft and cut a hole in the floor :D

Well, with a 2WD SAS, you wouldn't have to worry with things like caster or pinion angles...........so it wouldn't be TOO hard.

do you know of anyone that has done SAS on 2wd drive and left it 2wd? or do you know where i could get some really good info?

I raise the question again:

WHY SAS WITH 2WD?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

What is that gonna gain you? Cause it won't be ability.

yea thats pretty obvious, but i just stick with the axle swap first, and then ill go to 4wd eventually after all the regearing and such

hrmmm...Do you know a hidden secret that makes 2wd better than 4wd? I don't get the point of this...

no. im not an off-roader since i have 2wd and im just a "poser" 4wd since i just want the lift and make it look nice. i could care less about performance. so that is the main reason i wanna do this.

You

You would have to have the diff but, there is nothing that says that you have to put a transfer case in it right away. Though you will shortly there after because if you go throug ALL THAT TROUBLE to put a SAS in it and keep it a 2WD with the SAS just for looks. There is something seriously wrong with you.

Well, why dont you just get a suspension lift on your 2wd then, you can do spindles and a BL and fenders and probably fit 36s.

looks like i missed something while writing my message.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I disagree, I just read the whole Letter thread... At least that one had an ending :p

Back