• Register Today It's free!

Whining

diveron

Reaction score
City, State
miramar, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
On the Florida Turnpike going North to Pompano Beach in overdrive a wining started in overdrive. No other advanced notice was detected before that time. I completed the trip in 4th gear, found later there is wining in 1st though 3rd gear as well. As soon as possible I went to the oil quick change who saw the fluid leaked out, maybe through a cracked seal. They topped it off, it was pretty empty. A wining is still there though with the replaced fluid. My question is if someone would please answer it. Did I minimized the damage with the quick action? Nothing is slipping, still going right into gear, it is just wining.

It is a 94 Explorer sport 4x4 with 5 speed manuel transmission.

Does a screen need to be cleaned?
Is the only solution still a rebuild?

The part numbers for the metal plugs are: Dana #219-3052 or Dorman #555-108, you will need 3 plugs to do the job. I found out today these are a must buy part at the very least.

Thanks you for the above parts information and in advance for any other useful information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem. One of the cluster gears had chip in it. I had to do a full rebuild.

Thank you john gaglio for the answer.

Thank you john gaglio for the answer. I will see what tomorrow brings. I found this near-by location with free 24 hour towing with a repair. They are also open seven days a week, until 6:30pm on weekdays. Diagnosis was $495.00, charges are waved with the repair, so that is the minimum charge so far. The guarantee will be for six months. They had the truck for 4 hours first to check out if they needed to open the transmission case.

This facility so far seems to have a friendly staff, be service oriented, and genuinely care about their customers. Sorry, I do not think a forum rule allows me to post the transmission's shop website. Henry with the other customer representative has a convent E-mail address. I must remember to allow what will be in their repair price for the good service, swift responses, and that they are open 7 days a week. They took the information on the Dana & Dorman plugs from me. Not that I will forget to always top off the transmission fluid from now on, especially when the oil is changed.

I will try to make it a point to post the final price for the completed repair. What parts are damaged and have to be replaced. In case anyone is interested in how everything turned out.

final verdict

Here is the final verdict on the transmission damage. The replacement Transmission is about $1500.00, labor is about $650.00, with tax the total is just under $2300.00 for the complete job. The transmission work is promised to be completed by Thursday morning.

I have to remember they are open seven days, how friendly they are, the six month warranty, the speed in which they are doing the job, the four phone calls from them about the job progress, and acknowledgement of the upgrade plugs over the rubber ones. Overall, the service was very good.

I guess with some self-work, someone could get this price down. Do their own work because they have the resources. What would one give up? Speed of repair, quality of repair, or aggravation in a higher likelihood of additional transmission failure. I checked the price from Discount Auto for the transmission it was the same price.

hey while they where at it did you have them change the clutch also. you are already paying for labor.

If it gets quiet in 4th gear you may have roasted the input shaft to mainshaft bearing . 5 speeds take a big hit on the bearing because most people cruise in 5th . Older cars without OD people ran 4th so if the tranny got low on fluid damage was normally light . If it damaged the mainshaft/input shaft bearing you'll need a new mainshaft and inputshaft plus Id put new bearings and syncro's throughout . You might have to replace the countershaft with the input shaft , I dunno if they make those as a matched set . Normally if the bearing goes bad and is driven any length the input shaft starts "walking" around because it has lost support of the bearing that is failing and pre-mature wears the countershaft anyway .
Good luck .

On a side note , the rubber plugs suck :)
I had a buddy with a Ranger that has pretty much the same tranny . His plugs started leaking and he didnt notice it . The tranny started to whine and he asked me about it . I told him pretty much what I typed . He would ad tranny fluid to it every weekend , to lazy and cheap to pull the tranny to replace the plugs :)
He drove it with the whine for about 25,000 miles and then traded it in on a 99 Explorer .
He also towed a 17 foot flats fishing boat all over the place with the tranny making noise . Of course , your milage may vary :D

Cutch & Modification Plugs

Hello again john gaglio. The clutch is being changed also, for that price, it has 100,000 miles on it, and worn down.

Lemondrop, not good for the next owner, your friend to trade in the truck like that. Now the next owner will only have a month to realize he is on the last of the transmission. I cannot blame your friend for anything Lemondrop, it is just not good for the next owner.

I understand from other reading that the modification plugs are changeable through the stick shift boot with a carpet modification. You repair the carpet with carpet tape. It is not nessassary to pull the transmission. I never tried this, but would have.

Well to be honest the next owner was likely a buy-here-pay-here or a junk yard . The body was good but he had around 200,000 on the entire truck :) Gotta love Fords ... unlike Chevy stuff that is dead and gone too early /.

Completed Repair

This should be my last post for this thread. The truck is back slightly faster than expected. I drove it last night to a SCUBA Club meeting. The faster behind me this is the better. There is a significant wonderful difference after the repair. I was missing a lot with the old transmission. The clutch starts engaging with the clutch pedal very close to the floor now. Shifting between gears is smooth & silent, compared to the slight noises the transmission made the last two years of 20,000 miles. The slight sqeek in the clutch pedal is now gone, it pushes to the floor much easier.

The shop told me to come back in two weeks for a check up. To notice if there is a difference in the clutch pedal, not that it would but something to look out for. The payment was made with VISA. I set the payment to be made over the Internet with my electronic bill pay account. The total time from Saturday 11am total transmission failure, to Wednesday 6pm pickup total complete repair was about 60 hours.

Back