my old and CURRENT projects, 350+hp Contour SVT, CJ8 rockcrawler, POS scout, 22 PICS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my old and CURRENT projects, 350+hp Contour SVT, CJ8 rockcrawler, POS scout, 22 PICS

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
For those of you who don't know me, I used to have a 95 EB with TT, add-a-leaf, shackle and body lift, running 33" cooper STTs, Safari AWRs or occasionally 33" TSLs. It was an awesome ride, but I was ready for a change and a new build.

The day I sold it

150IMG_0043.jpg

150x_compare_front.jpg

150IMG_0046-med.jpg

I also had a 1974 CJ5 built for mud and rocks, but the wheelbase was too small for my wheeling style. Specs were AMC 360, Ford T18 trans, D20 case, 35" SXs

150posing_on_road2-med.jpg

I got bored and sold them both.

Now onto what I currently Own

Next I bought a 1998 Contour SVT, stock is 200 hp, 160 lb torque, 2.5L V6, 24 valve high compression. This was no where near enough for me. So I swapped in a 3L V6, 24 valve from a 01 sable with 14K miles... Stock motor specs are 200 hp, 200 lb of torque. As of rigt now, the specs are....

-3l swap
-Vortech Supercharger (w/ both 3.33" & 3.125" pulleys)
-SAAB intercooler mounted above drivers wheelwell
-Quafe Limited Slip
-Cosworth race trans. I had the parts shipped from Europe. These are some of the same tranny parts used in the Focus RS rallye car
-17" Enkei RS5 rims with z rated Kuhmo ECSTA 712 tires for summer
-16" Stock rims with blizzacks for winter
-Labtronics Water Injection.
-Brembo brake rotors (plated & cross drilled)
-KVR Carbon pads
-Eibach Springs
-B&M Shifter
-Taylor wires
-NGK TR55 & TR6 plugs
-Taylor Battery relocation kit
-OMP Cast Aluminum pedals
-Autometer Phantom Gauges
-Vibrant Type-V canister muffles (w/ silencers)
-All Cats & resonators have been removed
-Energy Suspension Motor mount insert

Stuff I have, but not installed:
Aussie sway bar
65mm Throttle body
39lb injectors & connectors (new style)
Mondeo side markers
And some other odd & ends.

Best Dyno pull to date has been 323.4fwhp with 218ft-lbs of torque at the wheels, but this was without the 3L and intercooler. The added displacement should allow the SC to perform much better. I'm hoping for 375 hp and 235 lb torque at the wheels.

150snow_E0_rims.jpg

150right_rear_at_home.jpg

150SVT_interior.jpg

150front_left-med.jpg

150right_side_parking_2-med.jpg

150left_rear_elevated-med.jpg

150left_front_elevated-med.jpg

Yes, it is the ultimate sleeper.... My roomate with a 02 Camaro SS and exhaust mods won't go to the track with me anymore.

Next toy is a 1988 Toyota pickup. I bought it because it was cheap and fun for offroading. Plus I can beat the piss out of it and drive it home. It is my DD in the winter.
No lift, no flex, 176K miles, V6, 5 speed, hacked fenders and 33"s

150IMG_0014-med.jpg

The next big project is a Jeep Cj8 that I picked up about 2 months ago. It will be a trailer rig for rocks... I only have about 40-50 hours into the frameoff build, but it's going smooth. Specs are;
-carbed SBC 350
-TH400 trans and np203 case
-AA dual cases with twinstick D300
-fullwidth 14 bolt rear, welded, 10 bolt front, open, with 4.11 gears
-beadlocked 38" TSL SXs

The day I brought it home. My workspace is 3 hours away from where I go to school, so its a weekend only project, which really sucks....

150weekend_1_015-med.jpg

150weekend_1_005-med.jpg

The floorboards were shot since the owner put carpet in the cab and let it sit outside for 6 years without doors... so I had to rebuild the tub body mounts and the floorpan. I decided to bevel the rockers 4" up and 6" toward the cab for more rocker clearance.

150IMG_0061-med.jpg

150IMG_0117-med.jpg

150IMG_0109-med.jpg

150IMG_0107-med.jpg

And thats where the project sits until I get up there over thanksgiving break to start making a tube frame.

Then last week and family friend gave me a good deal on a early 60s scout 80 project. It is the perfect start for a buggy project since the tub and frame are both in good condition, or at least easily repairable. I am going to try to pass the eal on to anyone, buy it all for $200 or I'l wait until next summer to build it with a lightweight yota drivetrain.

150IMG_0138-med.jpg

150IMG_0135-med.jpg

150IMG_0137-med.jpg

The best part is I'm only 21 :D All projects are funded without mommy and daddy's help, thanks to Kettering University's co-op program. [insert plug here] Kettering allows you to get a great automotive engineering degree and paid work experience at the same time! [/end plug]

So, what do you think??:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have some nice wheeling rigs there. The Toyota has alot of potential if you ever want to mod it more.

The CJ-8 project sounds sweet. I have a 42 flatfender that I am doing a frame up build on as well that has very similar specs as yours. You going to disc brake the 14 bolt? It is really easy to do. I made my own brackets and I dont have much $ into the whole brake swap. It really lightens the axle up without the massive drums. I have a dana 300 twin sticked as well. Are you planning on making your own twin sticks? They are also easy to do and for about $100 less than aftermarket twin sticks.

There is a very good write-up of a cj8 project w/ pics HERE

Keep us updated on your progress w/ pics of the cj8. It should look really good when it is done.

Nice countour man im surprised its putting out that much hp, but i think it looks awesome!

Your living large!:D thats sweet! nice rides!

few more updates

bobbed the bed
150IMG_0218-med.jpg

150IMG_0222-med.jpg

built the frame

150IMG_0235-med.jpg

Its too freeking cold up here.....

I always liked the SVT Contours. Damn dude, how can you work on so many projects? I'd go bonkers. I get stressed out if I'm due for an oil change and wash-n-wax at the same time.

Shweeet. :cool:

Back