A4LD'S Suck!

JamminG4Jim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Near St. Paul, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Worse possible time for my transmission to take a dump. I had a local shop replace the Vacumn Diaphram on it. I asked them to install the adjustable diaphram, they put in the fixed setting one (Found this out by talking to the mechanic who did the work)...I hate people who do not listen. Even so, the tranny still won't shift right. It hunts for 2nd gear until you lift off the gas pedal then floats around until the kickdown dealy works and it goes back into 1st gear again. Reverse works good.1st works good also.

$1500-2000 to rebuild. ha! Not from me, pally...I'll do the 700R4 conversion next spring hopefully.

For now the X'll sit outside and collect snow...screw it.
For what it's worth, there was absolutely no warning indications that the tranny was going bad until the shifting problem appeared. Then I thoughtthe silly vacumn hose blew off. No such luck.

ah, I feel better now.

Jimbo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you snapped the intermediate band

And a tranny shop couldn't figure that out? Try it in manual 2. With an adjustable modulator, you would have snapped it anyway.

Re: Sounds like you snapped the intermediate band

Originally posted by Opera House
And a tranny shop couldn't figure that out? Try it in manual 2. With an adjustable modulator, you would have snapped it anyway.

Thanks for the reply!!!!

What should I look for when I try it in "manual 2nd"???Movement? :)

If it works in manual 2nd with the new vac diaph./MODULATOR????? does that confirm that the intermdeiate band is bad?

How hard would it be to replace on my own?

Thanks again,

Jimbo

Intermediate band is second

If you don't have solid movement in manual 2 the band probably snapped. The transmission will go from 1st to third with a little foot work. If the band snaps it will also take a chunk of rubber out of the servo piston when it bottoms out. This piston can be accessed from the side of the transmision. Sometimes the intermediate metal strut can be found in the pan. Rebuilding this yourself is easier than a conversion.

People generally get an adjustable modulator to raise the shift speed. They like that snap going into second with power. Sometimes that snap is the band!

Re: Intermediate band is second

If you don't have solid movement in manual 2 the band probably snapped. The transmission will go from 1st to third with a little foot work. If the band snaps it will also take a chunk of rubber out of the servo piston when it bottoms out. This piston can be accessed from the side of the transmision. Sometimes the intermediate metal strut can be found in the pan. Rebuilding this yourself is easier than a conversion.

I'll try it when I go to pick it up on Monday.I've got to get me one of those ASTG? tranny manuals off of E-bay.
I'm not surprized that the tranny shop failed to mention this to me. It's Xmas time and they need suckers to pay for their gifts. I am SO pissed at them. They've done me right in the past but they recently moved into a brand new shop so I think they're getting greedy.

Thanks for all the info!

Jimbo

Re: Intermediate band is second

People generally get an adjustable modulator to raise the shift speed. They like that snap going into second with power. Sometimes that snap is the band!

Yep! Learned that one the hard way! Superchip + Adjustable VMV = Snapped intermediate band and $2000 rebuild.

JamminG4Jim,
What you are describing is exactly what happened when my intermediate band snapped. It also happened within 300 miles of replacing my VMV.

If you have tools and a place to work replacing the intermediate band wont take very long- maybe an hour- getting the trans out of the vehicle will be the work- if thats the only thing that needs done. It would probably be a good idea to replace the thrust washers/bushings while you have it apart, along with the low and OD bands, and seals. The clutch packs would be another issue and require a bit more work, but not out of reach. Not something you can do in an apartment parking lot though.

The only special tools you will need are some male metric hex keys and some torx bits, you wont need any transmission specialty tools to replace the band - tools WILL be needed if you remove the pump from the bell, or take the clutch packs apart.

Back