• Register Today It's free!

Duel Flowmaster exhaust

Edubb44

Reaction score
City, State
Hazelwood, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT 5.0
I am looking to add suels to my 97 XLT 5.o and was wondering where I could pick up the equipment and some helpful hints for picking the equipment. Thanks.

Edubb44

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought two 40 series single in/single out Flowmaster mufflers from Summit for $60ea, then had a local muffler shop weld them in and install some 2 1/2" pipes with 3 1/2" chrome tips. The pipes and welding cost $100 and the tips were $30, so total was $250. Its the best way to go really. Pick a muffler you like, buy it and take it to a muffler shop. The passenger pipe comes straight out. The driver side pipe comes straight back untill it gets close to the spare tire. It then makes a 90* turn and runs towards the driver side. It then makes another 90* turn after it clears the spare tire and it comes straight out the back. Its run the same way that all the fullsize trucks are. The pipes are not close to any fuel or brake lines and they go around the spare tire just fine.

did you get that done at a local shop or a big chain. I cant get this dual exhaust to come to anything under 500!! They want 275 for single with a dynomax

It was a local shop. Ask around and see. The bigger chains are higher. You will probably come out cheaper just to get a them to run the pipes and you bring your own muffler.

I still have a few other places to try. I really want this exhaust system but I am not going to pay $500+ for it. Those pics help thanks.
Gary

RTStork
Sweet looking Exhaust.....
How does it sound.
Im thinking about doing my 97 XLT 4.0 SOHC like that.

It sounds great. My wife's Mustang has the same setup and I wanted the Explorer to sound just as good. The only difference is that the Mustang is a little louder because the converters have been removed.

Hey man go with the full 2.5 inch exhaust. If i were you i would either but the cats or get superhigh flow cats. Whichever you prefer. Then go with the series 40's. Whether you want to go with delta or non is just preference. If you want i could supply you with a few pictures of my setup. I posted some pictures of it on here somewhere else too. But i forget where exactly. Probably in the need for speed section. Either way. My full exhaust system cost me $520 for everything. The guy is a really cool and knowledgeable person. He also is hooking me up with the mandrel bends to make my powerpipe too. Hey RTstork when ya going to be down this way? I know we talked about cruisin a while back. I may be going to the races tonight if i feel so inclined. Well i gots to be going. I will c yall later. By the way i say dump the cats and get mil eliminators for the o2 sensors. Hehe. Make that 5.0 sound real mean.

Wait and see if the muffler shop carries Flowmaster. That way if you purchase them from the shop, they'll be under warranty from the shop.

RTStork, Do you have any pics of your system forward of the rear axle? I plan on going duals but I don't think I could get away with dong it like rocket 5979 because I live on California.

Z~

Oh i was just reccommending to do it that way. I still have two cats on. And my check engine light doesnt come on so it should meet standards, i think. I am holding off on dumping the cats because i didnt quite want to do it yet till i got headers.

RTstork do you have a problem with heat against the spare? And do you have more pics or could you take more that show more of the exhaust system?

Originally posted by jonjones80
RTstork do you have a problem with heat against the spare? And do you have more pics or could you take more that show more of the exhaust system?

I don't have any more pics of my exhaust but if you look at the pics in the link in my sig you can see that the pipes do not touch the spare tire. I have noticed no burn marks, etc..

Back