• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case gone?????

RGK

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
1997 XLT, 123,000 miles. This just started yesterday, went to back up out of a parking spot, heard a clunk that just buzzing, no reverse. Put it into neutral and then back into reverse, no problem. Today, when coasting to a stop, the buzz was back, no drive. Pull over, into neutral, back into gear, ran fine till next stop light, then same thing. Its getting very consistent now. Seems to be caused when coasting to a stop, something is slipping out of gear. Any idea's, pleeeeeease. Thanks :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds more like the transmission is gone. What does the fluid look and smell like? Possibly looks dark brown and smells burnt?

Fluid looks good, red and clear, no burnt odor. Changed about 2K miles ago.

You guessed correctly, your T-case is shot. The auto case used in the 95 up X has no physical link between the input and output shafts. They are only connected by a clutch pack, similar to what you'd find in an auto tranny. Something in the t-case causes this clutch pack to wear and the result is the noise/probem you are having. The only repair that will fix the problem 100% is to replace the entire t-case.

When was the last trans fluid change before 121,000 miles? Wouldn't be the first time a high mile trans went out immediately after a trans service.

Originally posted by Jefe
Thats not true. The rear output is a solid link. . only the front output is a clutchpack

The cluch pack is located between the input and the output shafts on an auto t-case. The front output is driven by a chain. The clutch pack is used to split power from the rear and apply it to the front.

Last tran fluid/filter change was at 78000. It seems that stoping and moving from neutral to drive somehow resets whatever it is that is failing. It seems to be in neutral, except for the buzzing. Normal shifting is just fine, no slippage at all. I will probably be taking it into the shop tomorrow.

I will post what I found out in this thread, hopefully toward the end of the day. Found out yesterday that if I left foot brake while keeping a little accelerator on, it does not cause the problem, I'm thinking it keeps tension on whatever is causing the probem. Thanks to all for their replies.

Originally posted by RGK
I will post what I found out in this thread, hopefully toward the end of the day. Found out yesterday that if I left foot brake while keeping a little accelerator on, it does not cause the problem, I'm thinking it keeps tension on whatever is causing the probem. Thanks to all for their replies.

In that case I would check all the bolts around the TC to the tranny.they might not be loose enough to leak but it might just be loose enough to slip.

As suspected, it is the transfer case. Won't know which parts are bad until they open it up, but this is apparently a known problem. The spring that keeps tension weakens and cannot provide enough resistance, so the parts come together and get chewed up. The tech (non Ford) said he has seen quite a few and thought Ford should have issued a recall a long time ago. So all I get for Xmas is a transfer case.

A new transfer case beats walkin! :D

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. Kudos go out to mrboyle for the quick and accurate diagnosis of the problem put forth among us. Congratulations on a job well done.

Originally posted by A Wise Guy
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. Kudos go out to mrboyle for the quick and accurate diagnosis of the problem put forth among us. Congratulations on a job well done.

I second that!

What was the outcome and necessary repair and cost? My 95' X is doing the same thing when coming to a stop or going downhill I also have to apply positive pressure to make the noise and freewheeling stop. Just started doing this yesterday.

Thank you,

Thomas,
The outcome was a rebuild of the xfer case. Your model may be different, but for my '97, there is a spring that maintains pressure, this spring weakens over time allowing the part that engages to slip and over time wear itself down. Rebuild cost me $650 including parts, truck has over 123K miles and a new xfer case was out of the question at around a grand. Good luck.

Dear RGK,
Thank you for the insight. I have 170,000 on mine and after doing some further investigation and with help of your post it appears that this is a common problem. Thank you again for sharing your experience and giving me some knowledge of the problem.

Thomas

Back