Which tires are best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which tires are best?

My X will need new tires soon. The stock tires on the X are the suck-ass Firestone wilderness HP tires, featuring incredibly suck-ass qualities.:shoot:

The dimensions of the current tires are 225/70 R15. I will be upgrading to 235/75 R15.

Right now, as it stands I think I am going with the Goodyear Fortera HL edition. They are a bit much price wise, but if I am going to get tires, I am going to get the best ones.

What do you guys think I should get? Does anybody have these Goodyear Forteras? And if any of you do, what's the verdict on them?

The only other tire(s) that I beleive are in the same league as these Forteras are the Michelin cross Terrain SUV tires. However the SUV tires apparently don't have a tread life warrenty. I have read testamonials from tirerack.com and there have been a few cases of these tires losing they're tread in the early and mid stages of a regular tires (60 000 mile tire)life. Thoughts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since there are no replies yet I'lll hit you with some suggestions. Right now the best tire you can buy is the Bridgestone Dueller A/T REVO , H/T. I don't own them personally but do some searches on the internet for independant reviews and comparisons. They will back up this claim. I personally am running Yokhama Geolandar A/T's. I love these tires. I say it again I love these tires. I wish more people would try them, seriously. I have also had Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, these sucked in every sense of the word. Of course how could I forget the Firestone deal.... Need I say more.

Not too many people have heard of Goodyear Forteras including myself. So we can't really comment on it much. But we have heard great things about the Michelins. Look wise- you should get a little wider/bigger tires than the stock 235/75-15 since you are ready to spend good money on them anyways.

Originally posted by ipozestu
I have also had Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, these sucked in every sense of the word.

I loved my Pirelli's ... they were outstanding in the snow and treadwear was great!... why do u say that suck?

i've got bfg a/t k/o's and love em, i had the goodyear wreangler rts's before and i find hese are way better, also you could go up to 31x10.5x15

Got to www.thetirerack.com. The Forteras are definitly up there. These tires got some of the highest ratings for the truck/SUV catagory. They are street tires mind you. If you mainly do onroad driving, these are ideal. My explorer is a 4X2.

I am going to check out the other tires suggested by all of you too.

Anything else I should know or look in to? Thanx.

Originally posted by ChuckyD
I loved my Pirelli's ... they were outstanding in the snow and treadwear was great!... why do u say that suck?
IMO the tread life on these tires was terrible. I had to replace them at 23,000 miles. Two of them blew out in the hot Las Vegas sun. Not a very nice feeling. The tread pattern although appearing aggressive was less than impressive in the snow of lake tahoe. It is down right frightening to be in snow and ice with almost no traction. I blame this on the minimal siping. The tread pattern also produces a very undesireable drone. Most of the problem with the Pirelli's became evident once I switched to the Yokohama's. This may be the case for you qsa well once you switch to a new tire as well.

Originally posted by Slick Rick
Got to www.thetirerack.com. The Forteras are definitly up there. These tires got some of the highest ratings for the truck/SUV catagory. They are street tires mind you. If you mainly do onroad driving, these are ideal. My explorer is a 4X2.

I am going to check out the other tires suggested by all of you too.

Anything else I should know or look in to? Thanx.
I also have a 4x2. Honestly your not driving a Cadi. Street tires are for cars. Most A/T tires preform very well on and off road. They are not overly aggressive where they sacrifice comfort and noise. yet will provide the extra traction when you need it. The heavier lugs on A/T tires also do very well in water because of the addition clearance between the road and the body of the tire therefore reducing hyroplane by channeling more H2O away.

I agree, they sucked. I hated mine - noisy and tread wear sucked as well

The best tread for your money is with out a doubt BFG's! I've been wheeling over 10 years, and travel between Ca. and Tx. 3-4 times a year. Traveling that much, most tires tread is gone in a year..two years tops. I know, I use to order all those fancy mudders out of magazines! I'm now on my second set of 32"BFG's the first set ran 3 years and still had 1/4" of tread left. This set has hauled a trailer to Ca. and back at least 3 times, seen many offroad days, and still running strong with 1/2" of tread on them. I'll never use anything but BFG ever again! I'd go with the AT or MT both are good tires and work well on and off the trail!

What are the quietest tires? I commute 25-30k a year, stopped off roading quite a few years ago, just need the 4x4 for snow.

Originally posted by poconosms1
What are the quietest tires? I commute 25-30k a year, stopped off roading quite a few years ago, just need the 4x4 for snow.

I have the Michelin Cross Terrains and they are very quiet. I also have an '03 XLT so I don't know if they are as quiet on the older Xs.

The AT REVOS hands down. I cant believe how great these tires perform and how quiet they are on the highway. No louder than my old Goodyear Wrangler RT/S that I used to have, but much more aggressive.

I just replaced my Goodyear Wrangler RTS that had 50,000 miles on them, with some BFG LongTrail R/T and I can honestly say these tires ride better than the Goodyears do, but the Wranglers were quieter when pushed a bit harder than normal, the BFGS scream bloody murder at any hint of handling excitement.

The RTS also sucked in the clay that we have in North Texas as I got it stuck in my friends backyard pushing a dead car. (4x2 as well)

Originally posted by Slick Rick

Right now, as it stands I think I am going with the Goodyear Fortera HL edition. They are a bit much price wise, but if I am going to get tires, I am going to get the best ones.
Go for the Fortera tires. My father has these on his Grand Cherokee and loves them. They have a good tread for mild dirt roads and street driving, and I'm sure they'll hold up for 60,000 mi.
-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back