Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
To the point:

My brother is trading his 93 EB 4x2 X for a....

2004 V6 Passat :D

Black on black with the manual tranny, 2wd. And no, he has never seen mine in person and yes, this decision was made after he test drove about a dozen other vehicles including a new X.

Hmmm, guess they're good cars after all :D

BTW, he got a 93 new when he turned 16, then his fiance got the 93 EB, then I got my 96, then my then g/f got a 98, and his bro-in-law got a 98.

Now I got my VW last summer and he's getting this. What's next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Alec
Now I got my VW last summer and he's getting this. What's next?

Maybe you'll crash it and buy another X?
evil.gif

VW does make good vehicles... Their German.

I guess bad desicions run in the family..

:p :D

Isn't that called keeping up with the Jones' or something of that sort? :D

Re: Re: Y'all are gonna hate me...

Originally posted by Premier

Hopefully no nazi crap in this thread like when I first got mine :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm Jewish, and yes I bought a German car made by a car company that Hitler commissioned. Get over it ;)

I brought it up so that no one else feels the need.

my bro had a 69' Beetle, it was a sweet little car, fuly restored by him, But im sure yours is a Lot nicer, lol

I dotn really liek the new volkswagens all that much, but they seem to be nice little cars, wish your brother and you the best of luck...

you said wahts next.... i say soem oen else i your family gets one

HAHA:p

PEACE

Alec I spotted a GTI VR6 -4 yesterday. Definatley brand new GTI, had the newer exhaust and apron and temp tags.
I was not aware VW was making an AWD GTI???
at least not in the US!

Was it really a AWD or was it fake badges?
I want I want....

since we got the GTI I am "allowed" few modifications, like brake pads, stereo, detail hahaha I have convinced her that she wants nice 18" rims and some supension tuning :) But I am considering getting a Gen II GTI to build into a VR6 for my "other" daly driver/wallet killer.

I was never to fond of the Passatt, seemed too little engine for to big of car....but the newer ones are a good as an A4 in the curves :)

Unless it was an R32 or a GTI Quattro from Europe it was fake (or they could have done a drivetrain swap).

Re: Re: Y'all are gonna hate me...

Originally posted by Premier
Maybe you'll crash it and buy another X?
evil.gif

Hmm, tell that to my 2000 Golf TDI. Just found out yesterday it has a cracked block at 75,000 miles:fire:

That's after it was in 7 times to get the airbag ciruit repaired.

The passenger window dropped into the door twice.

The intercooler hose blew off causing damage to the intake pipe and hose.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things that doesn't seem like a long enough list.:rolleyes:

It's needed 2 new MAFs since I now have 77,000 and VW just came out with a special program to refund your money if you bought a MAF before 70,000. Well... I don't qualify since mine didn't die until after 70k.

Sorry Alec, I loved the VW until the warranty ran out. After that it turned into the biggest POS I've ever had.
Unfortunately it's not an isolated incident for VW. They have one of the worst customer satisfaction ratings around.

Well I still have 6.5 years left on my warranty. I guess I'll deal with it then :D

I knew about yours and others' problems before I bought it, and am still happy with my decision.

I owned a vw gti and loved it! It's only shortcomings were its cost of repair and weak frame. OK I know that they are not supposed to be taken into the high country, but I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. Fun little sh*# though;)

Re: Re: Re: Y'all are gonna hate me...

Originally posted by Rick
Hmm, tell that to my 2000 Golf TDI. Just found out yesterday it has a cracked block at 75,000 miles:fire:

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things that doesn't seem like a long enough list.:rolleyes:

It's needed 2 new MAFs since I now have 77,000 and VW just came out with a special program to refund your money if you bought a MAF before 70,000. Well... I don't qualify since mine didn't die until after 70k.

Sorry Alec, I loved the VW until the warranty ran out. After that it turned into the biggest POS I've ever had.
Unfortunately it's not an isolated incident for VW. They have one of the worst customer satisfaction ratings around.

Same story with my wife's beetle Rick, except it only had 30k on it.

Explorer4x4 members don't let other members drive VW(s). Maybe you'll get sick of the VW and get another X or better yet, maybe it'll snow in Texas and you'll need a 4x4. (wishful thinking)

get the vw toureg those things are way cool... v8 wagon with adjustable airride :)

Re: Re: Re: Y'all are gonna hate me...

Originally posted by Rick

Time for a street truck DD second gen. Explorer Rick:D

Sorry to hear that Rick :(

Maybe get a better German car like a Porsche/BMW/Benz? :p

Alex no longer has an Explorer, but he's still one of the most prolific posters on this site. We all know deep down he wants another X, but can't bear to admit it to himself. ;) The VW thing is just a phase he is going through...

Originally posted by jimabena74
get the vw toureg those things are way cool... v8 wagon with adjustable airride :)
Their having a lot of problems with the Toureg, and whats weird considering how similar they are, is the Cayenne has only had a few glitches with nothing to really worry about. A guy and girl I know on campus both have Touregs and are both having engine problems (hers doesn't rev/accelerate smoothly and his makes weird noises), electric problems, 4wd system screwing up etc. Interior is beautiful and I really like the truck, but you should have seen how many Touregs were in for smiliar problems when I picked him up after dropping his truck off again as he was talking to a few owners thinking maybe he got a lemon (now the Navigation isn't working). Whereas a family friend with a Cayenne TT has already had the truck offroad, at the drag strip, already has a chip and Euro Pipe exhaust (600 hp) and has no problems with 16K miles already. The main Porsche dealer here, Champion, is having people bring in their Touregs to look over thinking the VW dealerships didn't know what they were doing, but even they are suprised at the amount of things going wrong with the Toureg while the Cayenne has been very solid and reliable. Seems to be mainly electrical and ecu related so hopefully the glicthes can be worked out, it is a really nice truck when it's running and comfortable as hell on the highway. And now my sisters boyfriend told me his bestfriend just got a new Toureg (had an Explorer Sport w/ no probs) about 3 weeks ago and the truck has been at the dealer for the past few days but I'm not sure for what.

Awile back I almost bought a 6 speed VR6 Passat with a PES (sp?) supercharger and 18" BBS wheels and a few other things including a very quiet but deep exhaust and nothing like the fart cans running around just to have a fun comfortable manual car to play with, but so far every single one of my friends that has owned a VW from GTI's to Jettas has had very bad luck with them and it scared me away from buying the Passat. Two girls way back in high school tried to file Lemon Law on their Jetta's but it never worked out and they were stuck with pos's.

Shame, cause I really liked that Passat, test drove it and it was quick as hell, but very smooth and quiet and had every option, looked really smooth in black with the 18" BBS wheels.

But if you read reviews or search around, you won't believe the # of people having problems with VW's which is strange when they use pretty high quality materials and everything in their vehicles. Heck, the Jetta's even have a better interior in both fit/finish then a lot cars that are in a higher class. It usually always seems to be electrical or engine related though. Then again maybe my friends have just had bad luck as others do with other makes b/c people I know with Audi's have had great success with them.

Originally posted by DEROCHA
Alex no longer has an Explorer, but he's still one of the most prolific posters on this site. We all know deep down he wants another X, but can't bear to admit it to himself. ;) The VW thing is just a phase he is going through...

I wonder if could maybe stretch a frame from a VW and slap a Explorer body on one. Let's try using Alec's VW as a test subject.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Blee1099
I wonder if could maybe stretch a frame from a VW and slap a Explorer body on one. Let's try using Alec's VW as a test subject.

Or throw the GTI body on an Explorer frame :D :eek:

Back