My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Also have a 92 E.B. Sport, 4x4, limited slip, auto, and in my north of Atlanta commute I get 17 -18, and 20 -21 highway, without any mods, and without trying hard. My 99 V8 Mountaineer gives me 15, and I really baby it. I would not expect 30mpg, but I would like to get it up to 18 on my commute. I notice that idling and acceleration really sucks gas on the V8. Maybe I need to try the chip route. But I would be concerned about having to move up to premium gas. I've noticed that most red lights here in my area are in a valley, you always accelerate up hill from the light, which really eats gas on the V8. I've not been able to see a measureable difference in mileage between synthetic oil, and a good quality oil. Maybe coupled with other things (transmission, differential) it would help.
Harold

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't gave to run premium gas with a chip. Just get it programmed for 87 octane, fuel economy program.

The cumulative effect of all my mods has been .5 to 1 mpg better. There's just no comparison between the 4.0 OHV and the 4.0 SOHC in terms of mileage.

top ten

explorer only suv in top 10

this is cool, ford explorer top ten most sold vehicles 2003, sorry it's kinda off topic i couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Latest move to further increase mileage....

I am flushing the tranny with Amsoil ATF. Has never ha d anything vur Mobil 1 ATF in it.

Changing the rear end to Amsoil Series 2000 75w90 to replace the Mobil 1.

I have a couple thousand mile trip comming real soon.

We shall see.....

Re: top ten

Originally posted by wilson_nick
explorer only suv in top 10

this is cool, ford explorer top ten most sold vehicles 2003, sorry it's kinda off topic i couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

The Explorer has been in the top ten most sold vehicles and the most sold SUV every year since the year they were introduced. ;)

Mass inertia

Aldive, I am wondering how much effect all that weight you put in your rig (scuba takns and people) has on your mostly flat trip?

I figure your are kinda like a freighter hear in Puget Sound, put it in neutral and I bet you will coast 2 miles before stopping.

How about a test, same direction route and distance, once loaded to the hilt then again flying solo.

I have done such a comparason. The mileage is slightly reduced with full load.

I know you are lowered but do you run an under-carriage cowl, kind like a skid plate, between the front bumper and suspension?

I have a Gen1 so I don't know G2 or G3 came with them.

My 99 Mountaineer AWD V8 came with synthetic in the rear end from the factory. Factory recommends never changing it. Wonder if the Amsoil would be of any benefit in it. The front differential as far as I can determine is not synthetic. It for sure is a candidate to be upgraded to synthetic.

Harold

Originally posted by Albino 94LTD
I know you are lowered but do you run an under-carriage cowl, kind like a skid plate, between the front bumper and suspension?

I have a Gen1 so I don't know G2 or G3 came with them.

No I do not.

I took a trip from MN to CA it was 2100 miles each way on one part of the trip I got 24 mpg that was the best. I averaged 20mpg with a low of 17mpg. The mods I have are Intake, exhaust and Mobil 1 synthetic,

aldive i dont think your mods have MUCH to do with the gas mileage your getting. I have a 97 4x4 XLT and i have been averaging 24-25mpg driving mostly on the highways but around town occasionally. I just dont rev it up to much and let the gears do the accelerating and i get good mileage.

The terrain he's driving on is a BIG factor;
The driving style is also a BIG factor;
But you can't discount the mods...
Even with my truck, with unaerodynamic visor, push bar, etc. I have improved gas mileage by .5 to 1 mpg with my mods--but that's about 10% better mileage than I was getting.

Notably I think the airdam helps aldive; and his truck might be lowered, I can't remember. That helps.
Tire pressure helps.

To further the quest....

Today I did a complete tranny flush ( used 15 quarts ) with Amsoil ATF and a new K & N external filter. The old ATF ( Mobil 1 ) looked as clean as new ( 25k miles ). I decided to change over to Amsoil after talking to quite a few folks who have great luck with this ATF ( mileage wise ),

Tomorrow I am changing the rear end oil and adding Amsoil Series 2000 SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube.

The motor oil will also be changed and refilled with Amsoil SERIES 2000 - SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil and a K & N filter.

A couple of thousand mile trip is scheduled for mid
next week. We shall see what, if any, improvements in gas mileage the above causes.

After all this time and all that great gas mileage, al forgot to tell us that he can manualy disengage two of his fuel injectors in overdrive. lol :D
At the end of this post Al will wake up, shake his head, open his eyes to tell us it was all a dream. (dont mind me im kinda dumb)
Good job Al

Al,

Have you noticed any difference based on which chip program you select? IE, performance, economy, 93 actane or 87. Does your economy selection noticeable affect driveablility over the stock setting?

Thanks,

Harold

99 Mountaineer V8 AWD
92 Sport E.B. 4x4

Originally posted by hsinc
Al,

Have you noticed any difference based on which chip program you select? IE, performance, economy, 93 actane or 87. Does your economy selection noticeable affect driveablility over the stock setting?

I have one of the single program chips. It requires 93 gas but Brian did some mileage enhancements on it.

Originally posted by aldive
Changing the rear end to Amsoil Series 2000 75w90 to replace the Mobil 1.

After draining the rear end oil ( Mobil 1 ) after 50k miles, the oil looked like new, no discoloration whatsoever.

The inside of the rear wnd and the cover looked like new' no metal particles or sludge at all.

Synthetic oil is truly amazing.

The only reason I changed is to go from 140 to 90 in my quest for mileage.

I've got a 1998 Sport with 4.0 SOHC and never got any better than 25 mpg. And that's when most of the time I'm hidden behind a semi...
:D

that's mixed city/highway driving. Never really took a trip that long as to be able to check fuel consumption as you did but 32 mpg??!!

anyway:
tires blown up to 40 will give you better gas milage... windows up too, motor oil? not much I assume...

are you sure you haven't replaced your engine with a diesel unit?

that 32 mpg sure sounds like a diesel fuel consumption to me...

like a GEO Metro...
I'll be damned.. got to try this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's see...... I have a '94 sport, no engine mods, no intake mods, stock replaced everything that has broken to be exact. i run stock tire size heavy duty 10 ply tires, first tranny grenaded at 114k miles, replacement is begining to die already at 150k.....so i have to go first to third while shifting....

...and i get 18/21 driving it like it's rented. (because we all know driving it like you stole it would mean 5 under the speed limit and using your blinkers :D )

when i do baby it, i still have to skip second on acceleration...so first has to rev to 3k RPM.....i get about 19/22. my truck will soon begin getting some mods: lower, air dam, etc.....i will post any noticable changes in my miles if i get any.

-Matt

Back