who makes a 31" tire for a 17" wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who makes a 31" tire for a 17" wheel?

i've looked (though, admittedly, not too hard) and i cant seem to find anyone that makes a 31" tire for my 17" wheels. i'm looking for a 31x10.5. ideally, i would love to get some bfg a/t ko's, but they dont make what i want. the closest thing i can find is a 265 70r17 which is NOT what i'm looking for. 31's are already gonna be a tight fit on my truck, and the 265 70 r17's are a little bigger than 31's and i dont wanna deal with trimming too much.

those birdgestone a/t revos are pretty nice too, but ill check out any suggestions at this point. (i'm not planning on buying anything until the spring, but i wanna be prepared for when i get my tax return :D )

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMG! He lives!!! ;)

mickey thompson baja belted 31x11.5x17

how bad will the 11.50 rub in the front? is there a reasonably close metric size to the 31.50? I'd like to get an offroad tire but on the 17inch diameter size, what do ya'll recommend? and the tire will see a lot more street than mud (if that helps)

why are you putting a 31" tall tire on a 17" rim? why dont you just get street tires in a normal 17" size?

Originally posted by hpierce301
how bad will the 11.50 rub in the front? is there a reasonably close metric size to the 31.50? I'd like to get an offroad tire but on the 17inch diameter size, what do ya'll recommend? and the tire will see a lot more street than mud (if that helps)

mickey thompson makes a tire similar to the one previously mentioned in 10.5" width.

though, i dont really like the looks of those tires. any other suggestions?

Originally posted by jimabena74
why are you putting a 31" tall tire on a 17" rim? why dont you just get street tires in a normal 17" size?

i want "off road" tires, not street tires anymore. im at the point where i might consider selling my rims and going back to stock 16" X rims just so i can throw some 31" bfg's on there. not sure yet though - im gonna have to wait until i have some extra cash to blow, im just doing the research now.

i'm thinking that 265 65 r17's would work too, though, theyll be tougher to find, i know ive seen them.

BF Goodrich is supposed to come out with the Long Trail in a 245/70R17 in the second quarter of this year. It is 30.6" tall, with a cross section of 9.8" when mounted on a 7" wheel. This compares to 30.7" tall and 10.7" cross section (on a 8.5" wheel) for a 31x10.50R15.

Originally posted by Okrazie1
BF Goodrich is supposed to come out with the Long Trail in a 245/70R17 in the second quarter of this year. It is 30.6" tall, with a cross section of 9.8" when mounted on a 7" wheel. This compares to 30.7" tall and 10.7" cross section (on a 8.5" wheel) for a 31x10.50R15.

i've got 8" wide rims.

thats quality info right there :) thanks a lot okrazie.

i say do a tt and shackles/aal .... body lift and then just get 35x12.5x17:)

Originally posted by jimabena74
i say do a tt and shackles/aal .... body lift and then just get 35x12.5x17:)

if my ex was only a secondary vehicle for me, and i had the time and money, i'd do that :)

actually, i found a really old thread that told me that i can fit a 265 70 r17 with little to no rubbing with no TT lift.

thanks for the info guys. looks like i'm getting some 275 70 r17's bfg a/t ta ko's when the weather breaks :)

tbomb... I'll let ya know friday what fitment is like

I have at revo 265 70 17 sitting here ready to go on 17x 8 4.5" backspaced wheels mid to end of the week.

The at revo measure about 31.2" unmounted based on my measurements it should fit.

I will be doing a TT and war 153 with an AAL so it should clear

course everything could change once mounted

Originally posted by nole99
tbomb... I'll let ya know friday what fitment is like

I have at revo 265 70 17 sitting here ready to go on 17x 8 4.5" backspaced wheels mid to end of the week.

The at revo measure about 31.2" unmounted based on my measurements it should fit.

I will be doing a TT and war 153 with an AAL so it should clear

course everything could change once mounted

that would be great! please let me know how they fit. i dont plan on doing the TT though.

Originally posted by tbomb
that would be great! please let me know how they fit. i dont plan on doing the TT though.

Tbomb

..... the tires fit rather nice I only had to trim the lower backside of my running board that sticks out in a wierd fashion. No prob thouhg as it was the backside and I just cut along the contour of the board to match the curve of the fender.

This most likley won't be a prob as you have a sport. My TT gave me about 1.5 inches.

Mounted on the 17 X 8 the tire measures 31.1 x 10.3

My wheels have around 4.7 inches of backspace so the tire sticks out about an inch and a half over stock.

I rub on the sway bar slightly at full lock.

I will have some pics this weekend so hopefully I figure out how to get them up

..... the tires fit rather nice I only had to trim the lower backside of my running board that sticks out in a wierd fashion. No prob thouhg as it was the backside and I just cut along the contour of the board to match the curve of the fender

Is this without the TT lift?

HP ...

It was with about 1.5 " of TT war 153's and an aal in the back. I hated the way my rear had saggy butt so it needed a bit more boost.

I took some pics I just need to find how to link to them and get them loaded

OK, what size is closest to the 31x10/50?

(in metric pls)

and I can run w/o a lift. I have a black explorer and I want some black bullitts but with an
all terrain type tread.

I don't plan to go off roading or anything major, My truck will see the hwy mostly and some fishing and snow is about all the 4x4 will ever see. I just want that look of the AT and black bullitts

OK, I found my answer elsewhere, but thought I should share

265/70/17 = 32x10.4 or therebouts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by hpierce301
OK, I found my answer elsewhere, but thought I should share

265/70/17 = 32x10.4 or therebouts

I posted the measurement on my 265 70 17 mounted on 17x8 wheels a few posts back in this thread .....

The tires are bridgestone A/T revo's

Back