Low Oil Pressure at Start-Up

xwhaler

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi,
This winter has been very cold up here in New Hampshire and consequently, it takes a long time for the oil pressure to come up on my 00 SOHC. I was just wondering if you thinkin something may be wrong or is this just a function of the cold temps. (Near 0 most nights)

p.s. I'm running Castrol GTX w/ a Motorcraft FL-1A Filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may just be that the oil sending unit doesn't read the pressure until the engine warms up. Do you hear any tapping or knocking that confirms that you are truly not getting oil pressure up into the engine, or is it simply that your oil gauge doesn't move for a couple of miles/minutes?

My oil gauge waits a couple of miles/minutes before registering and it scared the heck out of me at first until I realized that I wasn't hearing any signs of low pressure (tapping/knocking). It's now done it for the last 40-50,000 miles with no ill effects to my engine. If I were truly not getting pressure, I believe my engine would have locked up long ago.

I do suggest that you test for pressure to make sure, or just replace the sensor and see what happens, this is not something you want to take a chance at guessing about.

nice, thank you

how much do oil pressure sensors typically go for? $$

I also have the sale problem with my '00 EB. I called a dealer yesterday and for the V8 it was $12 plus tax.

I tried a bunch of local parts places (autozone, murrays, Etc.) and noone carried it.

I'm not sure if your oil pressure gauge is like mine, but they are really just idiot gauges....really don't tell you anything. Most likely sending unit like you've already been told. But now might be a decent time for you put a real gauge in. I saw some at wally world for around 10 bucks...no they wouldn't be great but if they actually tell you the pressure they are better than the stocker. Anyway good luck!

cp

how long has it been doing this?

could be just a simple thing of a clogged oil filter

Having same problem w/ 2000 XLT

My XLT started doing this late last summer. Once the truck warms up, gage pops into normal area. I noticed in this thread that it is mainly the 2000 MY. Coincidence or what?

It's an idiot guage. Has been so since '94 or maybe earlier. If there is 5 or more PSI of pressure, the guage sits in the middle (Notice it instantly springs to the middle and stops?). When that guage reads 0, and you know it's working, DO NOT keep running that motor.

Back