• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac Questions?

guitar814

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I am looking to get a new car. Now I have a 1998 4-door Explorer AWD V8. I want to get something with fewer miles. I have basically narrowed it down to either a Sport Trac or a new IRS Explorer. I don’t really off-road that much but I do ride around on National Forest roads and I ride 4 wheelers a lot. I have a Honda Rubicon and Rincon. Does anyone know how those fit in a Sport Trac? Not having to carry a trailer would be nice. If I get a Sport Trac am I going to miss my V8? Is there that much difference in performance? What about gas mileage? If I get a new Explorer I will definitely get the V8, I wish it were offered in the Sport Trac. The Sport Trac is essentially the same vehicle that I have right? The ride is no better with a new Sport Trac than my 1998 Explorer right?

Thanks a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the difference in performance V8 in my current X vs the V6 in the Sport trac?

if the v6 in the st is an sohc then the v8 really only beats it by a small margin powerwise.....

the new IRS explorers basically suck, unless you are planning no modifications and just a comfortable street vehicle

You will miss the V8 and the ride will probably be worse.

Worse than my 1998 Explorer? How?

Your 1998 V8 has 215hp & 238tq

2004 Sport Trac V6 is 205hp & 242 tq
2004 Explorer V8 has 239hp & 282tq

Hope this helps;)

The ST may ride a little worse due to almost know weight in the rear and a little longer then your truck now. The bed is made of a plastic or something:rolleyes: I would think with a bed extender a 4 track should fit.

The ride of the Sport Trac depends on the model year. The consensus is as the model progressed (01-04) the ride improved.

Important selling points in the 03 and 04 models as opposed to a used 01 and 02:

- Starting with 03, the rear has disc brakes, not drums.
- 04s have a redesigned instrument cluster with new fog light location (a little different than a normal 2nd gen Explorer)

Minor points:

- 03 and 04 introduced the Adrenalin with a pretty nice audio system
- 04 introduced monochromatic paint (no more plastic) on XLT Premiums and Adrenalins

And what about power?

Well, I occasionally tow a 3/4 ton single axel dump trailer and it has no problems. The power of the V6 is sufficient, although it is not going to win you any quarter mile contests.

Offroading it is decent BUT remember, ground clearance is lower than a 4 door Explorer. The rear solid axle is nice, especially if you opt for the 4.10 limited slip, but again, this thing is a hair lower than a Subaru Baja turbo. It's not going to go boulder crawling in its stock form.

I hope this helps. If you have any specifics, private message me and I can tell you from first-hand experience.

Originally posted by Stic-o
Your 1998 V8 has 215hp & 238tq

There is no way the 5.0L V8 makes 238 ft/lbs of torque. It makes at least 288 if not higher.

There is no way the 5.0L V8 makes 238 ft/lbs of torque. It makes at least 288 if not higher.

Just quoteing info off the net.:rolleyes:

http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Utility/96-Explorer/Explorer.html

Returning to the engine, Ford's cast-iron 5.0L V-8 is ideally suited to the Explorer. It features EFI with Ford's EEC-V engine-control system. Bore and stroke are an even 4x3 inches. A camshaft is still in the block and features roller tappet/push-rod valve operation. With a compression ratio of 8.8:1, horsepower is rated at 210 at 4600 rpm, and torque is 275 lb-ft at 3200 revs. Our test truck was equipped with the 4R70W electronic four-speed automatic O/D transmission.

Back