Help me decide on some Brake Pads! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me decide on some Brake Pads!

xwhaler

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi,
I'm going to be picking up some front pads tomorrow for my 00 X. It's so nice and warm up here that I figured It was a good week to work on the X.

I looked at AutoZone's website and they have this listed for my truck:

1) ALBANY MKD652 LLT $18.99
2) PFC-CARBON-METALIC 6524 LLT $35.99
3) VALUCRAFT MKD652V 1 YR $9.99
4) PFC-Z-RATED 652Z LLT $50.99

*I have ruled out the ValuCraft as the last set i got for my old 92 X de-laminated on me while I was on the highway!
I then switched to Albany and they seemd to work out ok. I am considering going with the PFC Carbons but was wondering what people thought.

This is the link to what Advance/Parts America has. (Which I could order) They seem to have slightly better prices and a bigger selection.
http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectP...=PartTypes&SearchFor=Brake+Pad+/+Shoes,+Front

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone & Advance both carry Raybestos Brakes pads.. Autozone's prices are $39.99 & $67.99 for ceramic.. I usually buy the top of the line ones they carry except for Raybestos.. I'm a lil biased towards Raybestos cause of a brake pad cracking but I suspect it was because of them getting too hot or something else..

Autozone got a deal with those Albany brake pads. You pay one time and you get free replacement year after year. I have them on my truck for 3 years now. Good deal!

Yeah, I am with X-factor, just tell them you want lifetime guarantee brakes, i bought a set for my 95 last week for $18.99

As a side note, is anybody else as impressed as I am with how easy to change Ford made the brake pads on the second gen Explorers, my mom is a rural mail carrier and the rest of my family is really hard on brakes so I have changed more than my fair share of brake pads (at least one set a month) and I have never seen another vehicle as mechanic friendly for changing brakes on

ok,
yeah like i said, ive used the albany's before on my old 92 XLT w/o any problems. I was just wondering if any of the others I listed (specifically the PFC Carbon Metallics) from AutoZone were significantly better.

where as they both have the LifeTime Guarantee, I really don't mind swapping the Albany's out again in another 1-2 years.

But, on the other hand, If you guys feel that it is worth it for Braking Performance, Less Dust, etc... then by all means I will "splurge" for the $36 pads.

ok,
i went to autozone tonight and got the $19 Albany Pads after looking at them as well as the $37 PFC Carbons side by side, I really didnt notice any significant difference.

will be installing them tomorrow

Back