would high trans temp cause O/D light to flash? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

would high trans temp cause O/D light to flash?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there, so i halfway to the trail yeserday, and i start to hear a clicking or clunking sound which seems to be coming form the rear diff.. then, while getting everyone unstuck, my O/d light started flashing. This is when i was easily a foot dep ini wet snow, and i seem to think the tranny fluid was overheating, well getting hot.

Further, i think my front diff, though full, needs a fluid change, as the fliuid is dark and very...thin...maybe some water got in? I'll change it soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not wheeling in OD are you?

Expect the diff fluid to be very dark if it's never been changed. Mine gets dark after a few thousand miles.

Get that code read on the flashing light. Only way to know for sure. These 5r55e's can be tempermental. Did you check the fluid after you thought it got hot?

Not right after, but i had it flushed today. the front diff fluid is garbage, it's runny and dark, the rear, was low, actully it took almost a litre...but the tranny it self is fine, in fact better than it was before (due to the flush no doubt).

It was throwing a code before, something about incorrect gear ratio? I still am not sure what that is, the tech suggested it was a 'plugged valve body? Still have no idea what it is, or what he meant. Unfortunately my knowledge of auto tranny's is somewhat limited.

maby not a plugged valve body but the bolts can come loose

ok i got a 95 xlt and the other day pulling out of my drive way my o/d light stsrted blinking what shold i check or change.thanks

wait a sec
am i supposed to turn OD off to play in the dirt?

Yes sir.

Originally posted by bobdreadknot
wait a sec
am i supposed to turn OD off to play in the dirt?

It doesn't matter. Generally when your off-road (unless your into the high-speed stuff) your not going fast enough for the the computer to shift into O/D anyway.

Turning OD off also gives you engine braking in 3rd, 4th, and reverse (if you have the 5r55e).

It can be helpful if you are going downhill on a loose surface.

Originally posted by Jason_25
It doesn't matter. Generally when your off-road (unless your into the high-speed stuff) your not going fast enough for the the computer to shift into O/D anyway.

Then switch off the OD.OD is hard on the tranny if it is shifting in and out, if it's not going to engage, no harm in turning it off.Better safe than sorry.My tranny guy told me NEVER off-road in OD.

Originally posted by cantspell
Further, i think my front diff, though full, needs a fluid change, as the fliuid is dark and very...thin...maybe some water got in? I'll change it soon.
Differential fluid will be milky white if it gets contaminated with water. I know, I've done it a couple of times. :D

O/D light flashing is never good from what I've read. I'm dreading the day I see it. :(
I'm surprised I haven't seen it on the Sport Trac yet. I've put it through a little bit of hell. I should have installed a tranny temp gauge years ago. I installed on recently on my Limited so I know when I'm abusing it and can do something about it.

Back