Best way to stop the rear door squeaks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to stop the rear door squeaks?

Jake's Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, AWD 5.0 302
...there's just gotta be a way isn't there??? I have owned two Explorer's and both rear hatches hung a little funky and started to make noise.

What have some of you done to make it stop??

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WD40 is your friend in these cases.

yes thats how i fixed mine. it works perfectly

I spray WD on the hinges and what not but it still jiggles. It's just happens......

:(

White Lithium Greese or LupriPlate.

Yup - Did that too!

Thanks for the comments~

JD

wd40 is a thin, watery, horrible lubricant and more of a solvent. My 96 did the same thing. Apply spray-on lithium to the hinges and latches (don't be skimpy) - the Ford manuals recommend lithium grease. Wipe the weatherstrip with a vinyl protectant like Lexol Vinylex, not armorall.

What about adding some stick on foam pieces here or there to get it to shut tighter and move less over bumps and such??

What I have been doing is spraying on WD40, letting it soak, and then dousing it with spray on lithium grease.

I think the door is just sort of coming loose from just general use.

I'll try just about anything!

JD

Another thing - What's the difference between Lexol Vinylex and ArmorAll??

JD

Vinylex costs more, but it hangs on much longer than armorall. Instead of adding foam pieces, I would replace the rubber weatherstripping with Ford parts. May not be the cheapest way to go, but should work well.

Back