15x8 15x10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15x8 15x10

Alright! I am wanting to put new rims on my explorer once i get it lifted and people on here told me 15x8s. Then, someone else told me that 15x10s are what I want. I don't understand the difference, besides width - I just get confused when people try to explain it. The guy today just kept saying something about the 15x10s will stick out or something because of the spreadin of the tire or something. Please help me out. As you can tell, I'm in need. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much 15x8s are much easier to fit, and when offroad are less likely to lose the tire bead.

But do they stick out more or less or what?

Alec: How do you like the GTI? Is the VR6 in your opinion better than the turbo? George

Well, there is a topic hijack!! How about a PM?

DMB00.........how far a tire sticks out is going to depend on the backspacing of the specific wheel. It is possible to have 15x8s stick out farther than 15x10s, and vice versa. For most mild-lift, Explorer applications, 15x8s with about 3.75" backspacing will be the easiest to fit, with the minimal of rubbing.

Alright! Thank you! Finally got a good answer. The rims I want do have a back spacing of that measurement. Thank you. (Eagle Alloys 1179)

Tire width is also a deciding factor. Tires over 12.5" wide seem to weather better with the 10" rims...I've got a set of both 8" and 10" rims and found that 12.5" tires on 10" rims equaled bead loss at low tire pressures. IMO, any tire over 35" would work better on the 10" rims.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.

JG4J

Back