• Register Today It's free!

Which Coolant to Buy?

xwhaler

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I apologize if this question is not worth asking but I always like to check around before I buy anything for my X.

Which Coolant are you guys using? I'd get it at either Wal-Mart or one of the local Parts stores around here. (AutoZone, PepBoys, NAPA)

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always use Prestone.

Whatever is on sale but no generic brands.

usually Durex

Originally posted by Ford_Racing_Guy
usually Durex

I sure hope you mean Zerex, because Durex makes something else...;)

Anyway, I use Prestone Extended Life 5/150.

(Had to add the smiley!)

Originally posted by TheJMan
I sure hope you mean Zerex, because Durex makes something else...

lol

if your leaking coolant its ok to use some cheap coolant...otherwise i'd say buy a preimum brand

Question???

And now that you are talking about coolant and you said something about leaking how much is a leak? Because I add some water every month or so. Is this normal? or is it normal?

I usually buy the cheapest.. Then again, I always do a flush every year.. Also most people using regular tap water however distilled water is recommended. Also if you have a GM product like I do, and the Dexcool antifreeze that came with my truck has been shown to cause damage to the engine. I noticed it one time when I rubbed the inside of the radiator with my finger and noticed a black greasy substance inside the radiator. Needless to say after I found that out, I changed it out to regular ethylene glycol based antifreeze.

ok thanks all

my dad reccomends that I use De-Ionized water (Not Distilled)

Use what the manual recommends, a name brand with distilled/deionized water. Change every 18 months. I would not use the orange - too many stories about gunking up.

Back