Tranny Slips so bad I can't get the Ex out of the driveway!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Slips so bad I can't get the Ex out of the driveway!!

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I just finished changing the pan gasket and filter on the transmission, refilled with a bit less than 3.5 quarts of ATF, and now the tranny slips so bad I can't even get it out of the driveway. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the filter seated correctly? Did you use the o-rings that came with the filter? If any of these are wrong, air will be sucked past the filter causing the trans to slip.

Wow, you are correct. I just looked in the box for the trans filter and found 2 o-rings, I guess I'll have to take it all apart again. Thanks for your help.

Common problem. Have fun.

!

Jason, I can't thank you enough. I took it all apart again, put the 2 o-rings on, and now it works great, no slipping whatsoever. Dude, you rule!

:D :D :D

had the same problem some time back and the filter didn't have o-ring(defect part) put it back together and slipped like crazy. Thought i was a moron until i asked here to and figured out that the new filter i bought was defective. Bought new filter with o-rings...worked perfectly since then.

Question for Jman: was the trans slipping at all (like when it's cold) before the filter/fluid change? My '92 is slipping and I'm thinking of doing a filter/fluid change, but I'm not sure it's going to help. It has 156k on it and I've only had it for 3 yrs and don't know the maint history. I've heard horror stories about changing the filter on a trans that hasn't been maintained. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

If your transmission isn't properly going into gear and you aren't quite sure of the last change, it is highly recommended that you change the filter and fluid. Chances are it will solve your problem (and prevent costly damage).

Originally posted by marragtop
Question for Jman: was the trans slipping at all (like when it's cold) before the filter/fluid change? My '92 is slipping and I'm thinking of doing a filter/fluid change, but I'm not sure it's going to help. It has 156k on it and I've only had it for 3 yrs and don't know the maint history. I've heard horror stories about changing the filter on a trans that hasn't been maintained. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

It ran perfectly fine before the change, it's just that the fluid was heading to the brown side. The transmission was completely rebuilt at 52,000 miles and now has 84,440 on the clock and just as preventive maintenance, I wanted to add some fresh fluid. I would definitely do a fluid/filter change if you have had your Ex for 3 years and never changed the filter or fluid. There was only a bit more than 30,000 miles from new to old looking fluid in mine, and I have definitely noticed smoother shifting since adding new fluid.

I bought a Fram trans filter and gasket from Checker for $21.99 plus tax. I used the real cheap transmission fluid from Target for 79 cents per quart and 10% off that because I work there. No reason on spending a lot for synthetic or a blend, since I'll probably flush the entire system in a few weeks.

Back