• Register Today It's free!

92 XL battery/power weirdness

samandiriel

Reaction score
City, State
Avondale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL
Recently after shopping at Target I came out and found my battery had died; I got a boost and went merrily on my way, thinking it rather odd since the battery is only 6 months old. I stopped and bought a charger, then drove home (about an hour drive).

On getting home and stopping the engine, the beast refused to start again - odd, considering I'd just driven an hour on the highway, which should have recharged it somewhat. I hooked up the charger and left it at overnight.

The next day all seemed well, and I drove it about with no problems.

Today it acted as if the battery were dead. I hooked up the charger again, and left it for about 8hrs. When I went to take off the charger, things got VERY strange. I unplugged the charger, and then went to unhook the negative lead from the battery (the positive lead was still attached). This caused the underhood light to go out. Putting the negative lead back on caused it to come back on. Very strange. I left it attached and went to try starting the car. Getting in, the light came on, the seatbelt chime went off, etc. Turning the key in the engine caused a loud click followed by everything going off - no more light, chime, etc.

I've only been a car owner for six months, and am quite freaked out by this. Is it a problem with my electrical system? Some kind of short? Please add any advice you might have for me! I've also just moved to a new city, and have no one to turn to for help...

Tyler

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your wires might be corroded internally.. The 1st generations have a tendency to go bad from within..

welcome to the site..... i dont know whats wrong with your truck, hopefully this will bump it back for someone else to answer it.....

blee:
thanks for the info...but I'm not sure what that entails. Does the entire electrical system maybe need to be replaced? Or just the wires to and from the battery? Or what? I haven't a clue, here... my car ignorance is nearly total. I really don't want to haul it into the garage if I don't have to, as I can do basic stuff myself from the manual I bought (so far an oil change, battery change, headlight change and various fluid fillings), but if it's something complicated I will get professional help.

jimabena:
the whole point of listing an email address that way is to avoid spambots recording it and using it to send me spam. which you have just neatly circumvented by posting my email address to the forum...

tyler

is that better?

Tyler,

Sounds like bad connections on the battery cables, or a defective battery. Once in my 94, I filled up at a gas station and tried to start - nothing! It was like the battery was disconnected. It turned iut to be a bad 1.5 year old battery.

further weirdness update

Alright...I just went out to fiddle with it and see if I could see any corrosion on the terminal posts or anything. As soon as I wriggled the negative lead, the underhood light came on, and when I tried the truck it started. Is it possible that the negative cable is broken or nearly broken inside and so is seperating every so often at random intervals?

OT - thanks jimabena

thanks for removing my email address so that the spambots won't pick it up, jim! much obliged.

dan: nah, the battery seems to be good; the charger says it is at max.

but I think you guys are right in saying that it's the cables, be it corrosion or whatever. I think I will try replacing those. does anyone know where I buy new ones? at any old auto parts shop, like buying headlights? my manual has procedures for their replacement and it seems simple, so I think I can do it myself.

i had the same problem in my car...i still have not figured out what happened it did the same thing u said but after a while even wiggling the cable wouldnt work then the battery finnaly gave up

new battery in and it doesnt do it any more..my problem was also more intermitent then urs mine would only die once every few weeks or so

make sure ur terminals have a really really good seat make sure the whole cable end is touching the terminal

if that doesnt stop it then ull need new wires

just incasue u dont know a wet cell battery can only be discharged/recharged so many times so if ur truck continues to die the batt will die like mine did

from what you just described it does sound like bad cables...... they have a tendency to go bad after awhile... i would say as they are probably pretty old and original, just to replace them....

Tyler,

You can get good battery cables at Kragen, Pep Boys, Napa, etc.

Dan

i hate walmart..but they have good prices on the battery cables in the packages....i HATE wallmart though...shivers

Yah, have you used a battery terminal cleaner too? They're like a buck, then you just kinda clean them up, but new battery cables are cheap too, I bought mine at GIJoes.

Same battery wierdness....

My 91 XL had the same prob. Popped off the terminals on the bat and cleaned 'em up with some 320 grit sandpaper inside where they meet the battery, then cleaned the battery posts the same way, worked good for a bit then started doing it again... The culprit was the positive terminal which was worn out and after buying a universal terminal for $1.75, 5 minute drop in time, and cleaning the posts, I haven't had a problem since.... The universal terminal is a Grote part, part #84-9133, and can probably be gotten at any local auto parts store...

I highly doubt your whole cable is bad unless the wire covering has been stripped exposing it. I had some very weird problems with my terminals myself. How weird, well heres my story, I bought my explorer with knowing the 4x4 wouldn't work, after research found the computer that controls this in the back unplugged, plugged it in, tried to start it up...nothing all power gone everywhere. Had it towed to my garage so I could work on it, went through everything. Long process short it was the battery terminal, cracking through the terminal, it was pretty much just a big problem. Cut it off, installed new terminal end, cost $1 and wow, starts like a charm and guess what....the 4x4 works great now. Apparently the extra draw from the 4x4 motor needed a good connection. Expensive repair cost me $1 just by a little trial and error.

i have since fixed my problem with my battery..seeing as the post starters problem was the same ill put what i did

it was simply my battery on its last leg..they dont last all that long few years most the time and when they start to go they do very weird things..mine ended up deing then jumped and drivin home on the alt..i just replaced the batt and all is well now..even with my stereo abusing it =)

Back