Gas Mileage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

On My 5.0 AWD I have 17.4 mpg right now according to my message center; that's with a K&N filter, mostly highway, and a light foot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ogt a 5.0 AWD '96 and I get 17 mpg city with a heavy lead foot and 20+ highway... and yes it is a 5.0 I ain't no newb...

oh yeah... that's with 132,000 + miles mostly highway and really good upkeep... and pure stock

My truck is a stock 99 EB V6 4x4. I get about 19 around town and about 23 on the highway. Around town a tank will get me about 350 miles and on the highway I get around 425. I have no idea how big my tank is but the message center normally says 19 to 20 average. Also, I have 75K and all original parts except tires and fluids. I have ran synthetic fluids in engine, trans, and diffs since it was bought. I tried higher octane gas for a while but my millage and performance went down so I stick to 87 octane.

I got a 94 w/ the v-6 at 140k. I get 8 around town 12 on the road. Gotta love no power, 33's 4.10s and lockers...

If you stay outta the gas on the 5.0 milage isn't horrible considering what it is.

Originally posted by Electrohacker
I ogt a 5.0 AWD '96 and I get 17 mpg city with a heavy lead foot and 20+ highway... and yes it is a 5.0 I ain't no newb...

I find this hard to believe. How are you calculating your mileage? I don't go by the gauge but do it this way:

- Fill up
- Drive
- Fill up again
- Divide my miles driven by gallons put in on 2nd fill up

On my last one it was:

222 miles / 17 gallons = 13.05 MPG

Is this the way you are doing it or are you going by a message center or something? I think 20+ on the highway on a 5.0 V8 AWD is impossible :rolleyes: How many miles do you get on the tank???

I was very happy to get that as I usually only get about 10 - 11. The 13 MPG was because I did a lot of highway driving. I've tried just about everything (no WOTS, no RPMs over 2.5K, took to the dealer) but nothing is helping. I don't want to do my plugs and wires because it's only got 30K on the ODO and it seems like a lot of money to spend for a parts that shouldn't need replacing. I'm gonna try my fuel filter, tranny flush, radiator flush and thermostat, and perhaps some seafoam. My hopes aren't high though :(

yeah I manually calculate the milage... I get about 360+ per tank (but that usually includes some city) the 20+ was the result of a complex equation I did once to rip the city miles out of my pure hiway milage.... (I wrote down the miles for highway and city and used 17.5 for city and extracted the resulting data)

yeah, on my 91 sport 5 spd i got 16 mpg on the last fill up. That whole tank was ALL IN TOWN DRIVING! I don't understand it, and i was also lead foot a lot of time and plenty of WOT starts. Here's my specs...

-165k miles
-Just put in Autolite Double Plat. plugs and BW 8mm wires
-Ifab intake
-cleaned MAF
-Aluminum performance radiator
-Usually shift around 3k rpm, unless racing:D
-Pennzoil Dino oil 10w30
-Stock everything else

Yeah, i dont get it. And then before ive driven like a grandma and gotten like 14 mpg. Hopefully my new cold air induction will help out with this too.

i've got a '95 LTD w/ 3.73's and 235/75/15's.

she gets 20-22mpg on the freeway at 65-69mph the best at 65.

if you break 70 than it dives to 17 and worse from there the faster you go.

can't remember the rpm's, but that is the key.

My stock 95 xlt v6 got around 14 untill i changed the oil. now i get in the high 19's while drving on the hwy at about 80 mph. doesnt make much sence but im not complaining. I got 340 mi. on my last tank

I useually get around 16.3 doing my daily 62.5 mile commute of which about 18 is city. Is it just me or do these fuel economy numbers not make sense? Not MINE, but everyones.

OK, here's my gas mileage skinny........

Been inspired by Aldive......

1998 Sport 4.0L, 5 speed 3.78 LSD. 109K miles.....

6 year average, mix driving, normal foot: 20 MPG. Some less, some more but 20 average.

Updates in the last 60 days..........
- Bosch +2 plugs
- New Autolite wires
- remove roof rack cross bars
- cleaned MAF
- swiss cheese air box
- normal 10w40 oil
- windows up, A/C on
- careful driving, grandma style, slow starts, 60-65 mph in hwy

Net: 23.5 MPG over about 10 tanks.

Left to try ($$$ items).......
- synthetic oil (doubtful it's worth it: extra cost versus gas savings)
- synthetic diffy fluid
- K&N or KKM
- chip

My fuel costs at 23.5 mpg and $2.00 per gallon are 8.51 cents/mile
If I improve 1 MPG then I save 0.35 cents per mile or $3.50 every 1000 miles.

So, I've gotten the cheap and easy improvements. Have to decide whether to spend the money on the more expensive ones........

Randy

BigR said:
Left to try ($$$ items).......
- synthetic oil (doubtful it's worth it: extra cost versus gas savings)
- synthetic diffy fluid
- K&N or KKM
- chip

Synthetic fluids are definately worth' be sure to do motor oil, tranny, and rear end.

The KKM I use is definately worth having.

If you have Apten custom burn an economy chip for you, it is definately worth it.

Looks like you are well on the way to 30.

Goos luck.....

93 XL
No Front Valence
No Plastic "Side Boards"
K & N
3.27's
30" BFG AT/KO's

10 MPG around Harrisonburg
15 MPG around Virginia Beach
18-19 MPG highway at 70 MPH and 2100-2300 RPM

I only plan on keeping the Ex for less than 20 months, so I might give it new plugs and wires, but that would be my only change...

On my Ranger with a '99 Explorer 302 bored to 306, custom cam and GT-40X heads I get 18 in the city and 22 on long trips. I'm very consistant and the last two fills ups were 330 miles on 18 gallons this week and 300 on 16.5 gallons last week.

Even with my increased power I have alot less weight than you guys and that's where I get it.

I have a 2001 Sport 2wheel Drive. It gets 22 MPG no matter what speed I drive.

Wow Jonger that is great!!

I'm getting around 18 per gallon with about 75% highway miles at 65-70 MPH with the A/C running - its hot as hell here :) I'm happy with that, considering 19 is the rated mileage.

I know it's not a V-8, but since i installed a K&N FIPK on my 4.0 OHV 4x4 I have increased my milage by approx. 2.5 mpg, city and highway. This holds true even at Interstate speeds, and I have a HEAVY foot...lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been getting about 16-17 wiht my 4.0 OHV, I get around 300 before I fill up and theres usually about 1-2 gals in there cuz it only takes about 18 to 19 gal to fill it up.

Back