• Register Today It's free!

2000xl vibration

bbmoose

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
To me I have a month old xls 4.0l sohc with awd.
I hope this is the right forum for this.
Here's my problem.
I have a strong vibration in the steering wheel when i go above 63mph(never happens at all below that speed).
I have had the tires rebalanced twice now.It feels that about 63mph that the front drivers wheel is starting to vibrate fast.As soon as i drop the speed back down to under 63mph it instantly stops.
This happens whether i am on the gas or not.
And it doesnt make any noise at all before,during,afterwards either.
The only 2 things i can think of is that there is a problem with the wheel bearing on that area(and only get funky at a faster rpm),or that maybe the driveshaft(does mine have one?) might have thrown a weight.
I already had it to the dealership and they said the tires needed to be rebalanced,so they did it free.For the last 3weeks i only have used it in town under 45mph.
Any idea's or things i should mention to the dealer?
I have an extended warrany with a small deducable so i dont care what the heck it is i just want it fixed right this time :burnout:

Are you sure you have AWD because I'm pretty shure it was only available on the V8 and everything else was a 4x4.

i do have awd.
My dash has a switch that shows AWD/4x4 high/4x4 low.
And for certain its a 6cylinder 4.0 sohc (i even have this huge engine cover that says the same thing.And i only had to replace 6 plugs when i did a tuneup last month right after i got it.
BUT i would love to have a 8cyl instead :)
But this 4.0l has alot more pickup and is alot fast than my wifes 99 Jeep grand cherokee with their version of the 4.0l. haha
Thanks and come on guys and gals keep the thoughts coming please.

I had a set of bad tires balanced several times and never got rid of the vibration. I bought new better tires and problem solved. I think I did the balance thing 3-4 times and it never was right. I still have a light vibration from time to time but nothing like it used to be. The tires really smothed it out nice, until I drove a 2004 at the dealership. Now my truck feels like its old but I will get used to it again. HA

Back