• Register Today It's free!

supercharging a 5.0

bart

Reaction score
City, State
l'burg, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 B2
ight i searched but i didnt really ever find a good answer, maybe i just typed in the wrong search item, or just overlooked the right thread.

i have a 5.0 from a 96 X. its in a bronco 2. i want to supercharge it. but i need help and info. im really partial to the roots style s/c's but ill go centrifugal if i have to. main thing is that, the motor IS built. and it no longer has DIS on it. i need it to be able to work with the explorer accy....all the explorer s/c's i see though are 6psi max. will this be a waste of time and money to have a s/c that is actually under the requirements for my setup? or is it actually gonna be ok? how long will the hyperpathetics be able to take the boost, i know they cant take much more than 8psi, but will 3-6 be ok?? what about the fuel? i saw where one kit said you could leave the stock inejectors and FP!?!?!? this cant be true....?

my mods to this motor are:
mac cai, 77mm pro-m, 65mm tb, the stock gt-40 lower has been matched to some 1250s, as the gt-40 heads have been too. had a 5 way angle cut on the valves, .020 milled off, small bowl cleanup and a little ehaust port cleanup. E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers and hooker LT's. im using a stang eec-iv on this motor with an A9P as the comp. i have an AOD behind it.

would a small supercharger be a bottle neck on this application, or would it actually be ok?? does anybody have any good links to follow too. thanx for any help, its greatly appreciated.

**EDIT** i also wanted to add, that i want it to squal too. i love the way the KB twin screws sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

www.explorerexpress.com is a good place to start. i believe John v is offerering a 9 lb pully for that supercharger.

you can also search for a powerdyne unit. i know lowdpypes had it on his, but recently sold it to someone on the forum. you can also run a 9 lb pully on that unit as well.

I'm patiently waiting to get the x-charger too. I'd be interested in the 9 lb pulley, also. I've read that there is a boost loss or drop off in efficiency so to get a true or net 6lb I'd want the higher boost pulley. I'v got a similar engine set up as Bart. Can't believe there aren't more options for the X. Everyone under the sun has a 'stang applicatiuon. You'd think they would tweak a s/c to go with the most popular selling SUV.
So if anyone is dumping an x-charger please PM me. Also, seeking 4 in. Superlift....a stealthbox......a set of those fenders from Iceland or wherever....pre-runner light bar...hmmmm guess that's all for now.

PS like the price on proficient store for the charger vs EE's other sites

Come on Bart, build a Kenne Bell set up :)

As for te Explorer Express Eaton, I would be suprised if they have a 9psi pulley option. The roots put out too much heat at that pressure and with the 9.25:1 Explorer CR, you will most certainly detonate, unless you water inject.

hey todd, i didnt know you were on here. lol

ive been lookin at the prices and i think i might gow with the twin screw. plus i like how they make that nois at high rpms. well at least everyone ive heard does.

I've got the Explorer Express Eaton. I put the smaller pulley on which brings it up to about 7 to 7.5 lbs of boost. Does well. I don't know how it would do on the 19lb injectors and fuel pump though. I am running 24's with a Lightning pump and adj fpr. The next smaller pulley John has does not work well with stock compression though. Plus the heat is high at 7 lbs - I would hate to have it at 8 or 9 lbs...

The Eaton works well though. The centrifugals would build more power higher up in the rpms for you - which might be better since you are not running DIS or a stock ECM. Guess it just depends on where you want the power. I wanted mine more at lower rpms, and since the Explorer ECM does not pull more than 6000rpms, the centrifugals just didn't seem logical for me or for what I am using it for.

If I were in your shoes, I would either build a custom KB like Todd did - or ditch the Explorer accys for Mustang ones and use a kit for them...

I dont think it would be worth it trying to get an eaton to work on your setup. Part of EE's kit relocates the coilpacks. Not possible to relocate a distributor. Someone correct me if im wrong...

52008.jpg

What modification are required for the KB twin screw? I asked them if I can get one of their s/c for my X (IE TS 1000) They said the didn't have anything that would work.
Cobra, have you dyno'd your set up yet? I'm shooting for a simliar end product, although I've done e303 and rollers already.

I took a mustang Kenne bell kit and Holley Systemax (series I) lower manifold, thne made custom front support bracket, coil bracket, and had the drive shortened. Really pretty simple, but the front support did take some serious time to get right.

Take a look at some of the pictures (each link has several pages):

http://groups.msn.com/MarlaTodd/ranger.msnw?Page=5

http://groups.msn.com/RangerKB/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Kenne Bell was no help to me on this, aside from selling me the front drive extension and bracket, which I then modified to fit.

As for the manifold, you need to get the "standard mustang" style and retro fit your lower manifold to the mustang or Systemax. The GT40 manifold will not work, as I show in the first link. The GT40 manifold set moves the blower to far to the drivers side and kinks off the throttle cable. Oh yeah, I also have a 1" phenolic spacer in there to raise the blower up to give more room for the powersteering line.

WorkTeke said:
Cobra, have you dyno'd your set up yet? I'm shooting for a simliar end product, although I've done e303 and rollers already.

The dyno will be done in a week or so. I've got the X torn down in the garage right now doing the E303 and 1.6's. I started tearing it down last night. Quit when I broke a bolt getting the lower manifold off... :banghead:

James has a good point about the distributor. I didn't think about that, and depending on which distributor you have would make a huge difference not only in the height (adding a spacer), but also in the front because of the snout support bracket. Using the Explorer accys brackets shortens it quite a bit compared to Mustang accys brackets and water pump.

Back