Superlift 4" suspension lift for explorers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift 4" suspension lift for explorers

What exactly does that shaft look like? Can you get an overall measurement if you get a chance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how in the world did you get a $450 shaft for free? i am about to buy the two front boxes and i was gunna only run 2WD for awhile until I get the front shaft. What did you tell em to get it? Teach me your ways.. ;)

itbejared- You can run the stock shaft. Just disable the AWD and the shaft will last longer. I have been running mine since before winter with no problems.

There were a couple variations in the front shaft. A 98 probably has that generic ford POS CV joint. It may work just check for binds. Your front shaft length doesn't matter too much, it is splined for getting it in and out easy and because then it does not need to be perfect lentgh wise. It never moves. You can get a shaft made localy, just go to a drive shaft shop and have them lengthen and convert your stock shaft it will be a fraction of the superlift cost. The other deal is you may or may not need it, just check. I wouldn't run that stock one very hard off road with the superlift. But I also wouldn't buy the superlift one for $450! just do the lift then evaluate it.

Mascman said:
itbejared- You can run the stock shaft. Just disable the AWD and the shaft will last longer. I have been running mine since before winter with no problems.

its still gonna spin and you aren't going to lengthen its life that long, sure there won't be as much stress on it, but that is minimal anyways.

The shop I went to couldn't lengthen it because of the round joint...wouldn't bolt up to any of his fittings. When we measured the shaft, it seemed long enough anyways. There is no binding, so I don't really know why Superlift says you need a new shaft.

By the way, I know that disabling the AWD will still allow the shaft to spin, but it will relieve some stress on it and it is a good mod for other reasons as well.

ya it is nice having 2 wheel low range. but if you ever step up to 35s and a locker say goodby to that t-case! :banghead:

I don't know why everyone has such a hard time finding places that do quality shaft work. They have to put a new flange on that shaft and convert it over to a single u-joint or double whatever they prefer. But I hear so many people say they can't find good shops around. There are several out west and we have one of the best I have ever dealt with here in town. Guess I lucked out.

if there is no binding then I say go with it.

Good luck.

Mascman said:
What exactly does that shaft look like? Can you get an overall measurement if you get a chance?

I will measure it for you tonight, and take a pic.

Somewhere around here there are pics of the one had made and the flange they put on it. I'll see if I can find them

itbejared said:
how in the world did you get a $450 shaft for free? i am about to buy the two front boxes and i was gunna only run 2WD for awhile until I get the front shaft. What did you tell em to get it? Teach me your ways.. ;)

I just told them, "Ok, I am going to spend a lot of money... And I want to get hooked up" I got a price from them, then I said "I want you to do better" LOL I got over 600$ of the final price. Just talk to them cool.. Dont be too demanding, or they will shut you down.

Back