Response to Nissan's Supercharged Pathfinder vs. Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Response to Nissan's Supercharged Pathfinder vs. Explorer?

briantf

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight/opinions on whether Ford will (or should) respond to the new 240 HP Nissan's?? They're putting the 4L V-6 SOHC to shame if they actually produce the rated power, and I really like the SOHC. Heck, that beats the SOHC 4.6L V-8!!

You would think that given Ford's 11 years of production experience with smog legal supercharged engines, we'd see a quick response to this differential.

I can't see more power than what the SOHC has is needed for the current Explorer, but it sounds like the new one is going to be a bit of a lead butt. More torque is a big help for that problem!

Best,
Brian in CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not unless their production numbers go down drastically. Otherwise it will be the same ole same ole. :)

I agree... Ford will wait until their sales drop and Nissan's sales go up drasticly... then they'll say "hey, more power might be a good idea" and start designing... 10 years later they'll come out with a buggy new engine, 2 years after that an engine that works and gives more power, 2 years later they'll discontinue it because it won't sell as many units as they think it should. It's the american way :)

I read somewhere a review of the new Pathfinder with this engine. I think it was Car and Driver. Anyway, they weren't very happy with the engine, even with the 240 hp. I think they actually mentioned that SUV's with less power were still faster, including our Explorers. Many SUV's are getting bigger engines, but they're also getting heavier and more cumbersome. I think my Sport (especially with my mods) can beat most SUV's any day. It'll be even better when I get my TB and headers ;) An SVT Explorer would be nice, though.

Alec;
Way to go, the SOHC would be a perfect base to start Ford's SVT project for the Explorer. I read the same thing about the Nissan, it's slow for the HP. If Ford just did what eveybody around here is doing, they would probably exceed 240hp toot sweet. The Nissan, I believe was/is a full second and a half slower that the 16.1 sec 1/4 and 8.1 0-60 mph posted by Car and Driver about the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport in their 2000 Sale/Lease Special Issue. They called the acceleration "Downright Brisk". If you start with the lighter two wheel drive, get 15" wheels and do a few I/O mods, I'll bet this thing will do the low 7's, maybe high sixes. It's already the fastest SUV on the market and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than most.

Actually, I think that the 4.6 L would be a really great base for the Explorer "Lightning", if they can fit the heads into the engine bay. I mean, look at what they can get out of it with a little coaxing. Plus, it's got a bit more torque than the 4.0L. A DOHC 4.6 like the cobra has!! MMMMMmmmmm.....

Nissan Frontier SC

The 8/1/2000 issue of Auto World Weekly puts the supercharged 4x4 Crew Cab Nissan Frontier SC @ 210 HP. With only a 3.3 liter SOHC engine and a curb weight of 4,000lbs, it might give the Sport Trac a run for it's money but not the Sport which comes in between 3,880-3,975 lbs and has 210 HP stock without mods. I'm still looking for the other Nissan tests.

I also think the Sport has ample power. It's faster than my Mustang (V6). It won't beat a M-class, but it's a lot more versatile...

LewDog;
Are you talking about the Mercedes SUV? BTW, I emailed Ford about an SVT program for the SUV, they said they had already passed it on to the SVT operations center.

[Edited by bluescat on 07-20-2000 at 06:42 PM]

Yep, I'm talking about the Mercedes SUV. They claim it's the fastest SUV out there. I could really care less. Fast cars are the reason my insurance rates suck...

That would be neat.. an SVT Explorer... Would have to be 4wd though. An off road vehicle that can really haul on the street as well.. hmmm

Nick

M Class Mercedes

Consumer reports pronounced the M Class SUV the worst of all the marques when it comes to reliability. Car and Driver's long term roadtest was a nightmare. If you really want a good laugh follow this link to the test. Dead Link Removed
The other thing is the claim of the Mercedes being the "fastest SUV". Here are Car and Driver figures:
Performance:..........new/40,000
Zero to 60 mph..........8.4 sec/8.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph..........23.4 sec/23.3 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph..........8.5 sec/8.7 sec
Standing 1/4-mile..........16.6 sec/16.3 sec
This is a 240HP V8 priced at over $48,000! The 2001 Explorer Sport with the 210hp V6 turns a 16.1 1/4 mile and an 8.1 sec 0-60mph. These figures are for a brand new Sport (not broken in) that costs $20,000 less. Another Mercedes myth debunked.

I think Lewdog is talking about the ML55 AMG (Mercedes' in-house tuning shop...similar to Ford's SVT). Still, at $64,000+, it's still a wee bit on the expensive side (for $64K, I can get a BMW M5, which will smoke pretty much anything and everything, plus I can seat 5 people and carry their luggage).

Car and Driver Test Results
December 1999
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG

ACCELERATION..........Seconds
0 to 30 mph...........2.6
40 mph................3.7
50 mph................5.2
60 mph................6.8
70 mph................8.9
80 mph................11.5
90 mph................14.5
100 mph...............18.0
110 mph...............23.7
120 mph...............31.1
5-60 mph..............7.0 (Street Start)

Top-gear acceleration
30-50 mph.............3.4
50-70 mph.............4.4
Standing 1/4-mile.....15.3 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed..........141 mph (Drag Limited)

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup..........181 ft
Fade............NONE light moderate heavy

HANDLING
Roadholding
300-ft-dia skidpad..0.74 g
Understeer..........minimal MODERATE excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving.............14 mpg
EPA highway driving..........18 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy....14 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle.........................43 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration...74 dBA
70-mph cruising..............69 dBA
70-mph coasting..............69 dBA

Well, I've learned never to trust magazine 0-60 numbers. They're always different and off. I always look at manufacturer's and private (JD Power, Consumer Reports) reports.

Bluescat, the 2001 SOHC comes rated at 205hp stock. 2001 Sport lost 5 hp and gained 10 ft/lbs in torque.

As for the imports, screw em.

If you guys are interested, Saleen has an Explorer program. Check out their site at http://www.saleen.com

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 07-30-2000 at 04:28 PM]

Back