32" Spare fits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

32" Spare fits

I was under the impression that a 32" spare wouldn't fit in the stock location. Well I decided to try it out, and guess what: It fit! Sweet. It's not bald at all either. It has about 85% tread left. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who wanted to put their full size spare under there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That should be good news to alot of people. I thought that only a 31" would fit.

A 32" won't fit with a round-tube hidden hitch (even when let down to 10 PSI) nor with a Borla exhaust. No matter how much air I let out of a 31, it would not go up. As it is, I had to beat the metal shield between the spare and differential and position my 30x9.5 just right to get it all the way up and keep it 1" away from my exhaust. When Desert Rat put my last 30x9.5 spare up, they weren't as careful. My exhaust burned a hole through the tread down to the steel belts.

These pictures are of my stock 27" spare which as you can see was already a tight fit.

Attachments

• 011001 - 004.JPG
    011001 - 004.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 011001 - 001.JPG
    011001 - 001.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 011001 - 005.JPG
    011001 - 005.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 305

Yup, what Robert said. I had to lower my spare when I installed my round tube hidden hitch and raise it back up while pushing it backwards to make it go up.

Wow, my 31 BFG wont fit.

5858IM000037.jpg
Heres the only one I have of my 32. Sorry I don't have a close-up. Wonder if I could get a 35 to fit with a little trimming?

Mine fits with my Ford hitch and Gibson 2.5" exhaust. I guess the hidden style hitch take up more room in there. Oh well, just wanted to let people know to try it and see if it will work for them.

well I fit a 31 under mine with a hidden hitch, and a 3 inch mac exhaust system, its tight, but fit..the reason maybe your 27 is tight is cause its a sport..right>?

WannaXP8 said:
well I fit a 31 under mine with a hidden hitch, and a 3 inch mac exhaust system, its tight, but fit..the reason maybe your 27 is tight is cause its a sport..right>?

Except the measured distance from the rear differential to the rear bumper is the same as my neighbor's '96 4-door.

Back