the box is complete!!!!!!

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Well Almost.... but it will be in a few hours. after this post I'm going to work on it.

I worked on it yesterday from 9am to 4am this morning. From about 4pm till 4am I usually had one or two people helping me. Everything is pretty much done, just have to finish the wiring to power and the HU. Should be bumping very soon (hopefully no fires will erupt). It is very ghetto fab right now... I realize that. Parking lots are not necessarily the best place to do stuff like this.

Some guys from the car club here really wanted me to have this done by the car show tomorrow, so from mid-afternoon till 4am I had people helping me pretty much.
Here are pics.

Started early...
10058100_3443_Medium_.jpg

This is usually what my workspace looks like... However this time it was nice and sunny.
10058100_3446_Medium_.jpg

Crap waiting to get installed...
10058100_3448_Medium_.jpg

This is what happens when you try and cut a hole in MDF with a dremel. Not only does it not go all the way through, but it takes 5hrs to cut anywhere. So, I use a drill to get most of it. Ghetto fab at work.
10058100_3449_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3450_Medium_.jpg

My friend Mike stopped by and wanted to help out. While I was patching up some glass and laying another layer in some areas he cleaned my rims... I think he spent about 10 minutes per rim. Never seen them so clean before since I took them outta my box.
10058100_3451_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3452_Medium_.jpg

It's about 8pm now... allll most there
10058100_3466_Medium_.jpg

So my friend broke BOTH my 1/16 drill bits I was using to predrill the subs in. Had to pack everything up and goto my friend's storage unit (used as a workshop) and borrow a bit. It's close to 10pm by now and getting very cold.

Here I am soldering the wires to the back of the subs (I dont want them to come off...)
10058100_3468_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3471_Medium_.jpg

here is the terminal everything connects to...
10058100_3474_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3475_Medium_.jpg

Making sure everything is angled properly...
10058100_3476_Medium_.jpg

Allllmost there....
10058100_3484_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3487_Medium_.jpg

It's about 1am or so when work on the amp starts... we were able to go inside and use a table in the garage to solder on the RCA connectors which were broken on the other amp I bought... You can see the new mounting location for the RCAs
10058100_3500_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3496_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3495_Medium_.jpg

They were installing a S/C on an integra while we were there... they had started at 9am as well and were still working when I left around 4am.
10058100_3497_Medium_.jpg

Oh yea.. the sub box was done =)
10058100_3494_Medium_.jpg

10058100_3487_Medium_1.jpg

My friends were pissed that it took so long...
10058100_3490_Medium_.jpg

I then woke up at 7:30 am to go start buffing my car before an event I had to goto today... only to then drive over dirt roads for 3 miles to get there. So now I have to start over.

Alright - more pics later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coming along nicely. Looks good with all the subs installed.

very nice. i like the ghetto fab work. cant wait to start the system on my x!

sean

Did you use any chambers? Or is it a common chamber? I really REALLY hope you don't get cancellation, that would make this whole install not worth your while. Good Luck!

i think he has liek 3 chambers.............

Its look friggin awesome dude, now i cant wait til lthis summer to see it complete

PEACE

Great job.Looks like a big project :D

that looks good hydroxy..and dont worry about it looking ghetto fab..it acctually doesnt look that ghetto fab if at all..its really pimp dude seriously if anyone gives u **** say..yah i messed that up then point..when the asshat bends over to look smash his face into it =)

nice work dude

soooooo it's all hooked up, I pop in my Bass cd....

The amp i've had for two years almost now - and was working perfectly when I stopped using it seems to like to blow fuses even if not turned on. Something most be shorted inside, I took it out to bring back to my dorm and open it up. On YET another bad note, the 4 sides subs running off one amp = very weak. It could just be a gain problem, we're not sure yet.

more bad news.. the top 3 subs (working fine when bridged to an amp) seem to have a rattle to them now. I'm not sure what causes this? It seems to actually be coming from the subs themselves.

interesting news... There is a cop who usually comes around in the parking lot where I work and checks out what I'm upto... I talked to him when I started having amp problems. He suggested general fixes (try ground wire etc etc etc)... all of which I dont think are a problem. He then offered to let me borrow his JBL 1200.1 (that correct #?) amp to see if that would power my stuff... wow - nice ass cop. He didn't have it on him, but said he would bring it to the car show tomorrow and let me try it out then.

HOWEVER he then said - "if you do me a favor" me: "ok?" him: "stop running your radar detector - we get to borrow vg2 from the state from time and time again and I noticed you using it."

Needless to say I didn't know WHAT to say to that. He told me the only reason he didn't write me up was because he has never seen me speed (which I dont.... atleast on campus...). I have a Valentine1 - I thought they were invisible to that?

Pictures are on their way....

dude that sucks man..sorry to hear..when i had a rattle in my sub (it was just one however) it was because of a losse connection just make sure the wire going to the cone are not hitting the sub sometimes they can get pushed out of the way or something or the little pad on the cone can come off

and dude i wish we had cops like that around here lol

looks awesome man, but what is a vg2?

VG2 is a radar detector detector. Radar detectors are illegal in VA.

Pat, why are you driving around with your radar detector on in Blacksburg? Thats just asking to get caught. I only fire mine up on the interstate when in packs. and yeah, I thought the Valentine was invisible too, dad's never been caught using it and you know how much he drives. Maybe the cop saw the detector in the truck one time? Or did he say that he actually used the VG2 around town. That just seems like a waste of time for them b/c most people don't run detector's in town.

I think you should just sell your V1 to me and be done with it :thumbsup:

Oh, and btw... sooooooooo ghetto.... I wish i had better pics of you on that trail on Brush Mtn. to post after your clean rims shot

Cool that you got it done finally, sorta... Did any of that box get sanded smooth on the outside?

None of the box is really that smooth. I dont really care right now though... maybe during the summer.

About the radar detector... I found out, it's the same cop that talks on the Car Club forums here at va Tech, on which I had posted stuff about my V1. I'm assuming that is how he found out. I'm going to put a nice big FOR SALE post up this week to make him think that I sold it.

The cop stopped by the show w/ his JBL 1200.1 (or whatever)... hooked it up to the side 4 subs.... that thing hit really really hard. However when I then hooked up the top 3 subs to the Pioneer amp, it was MUCH weaker sound. I think I might try and buy the amp off him depending on how much he asks for it.

-Could it be cancellation? or just b/c there were two different kinds of subs?

I have a couple air leaks in the box... those are going to have to get fixed. And the amp that was blowing fuses... well we hooked it back up today and it started smoking. I'm SO PISSED about these amps I'm not even going to try and fix it... I plan on setting it on fire sometime soon.

pictures will be up soon, just very very very tired at the moment.

if the top 3 subs are too close together in a common chamber theres a chance it would be cancellation.

As for the amp smoking.. that sucks man (is it the one you added RCA's too?)

also, No radar detector is invisible from their detector detectors, as much as the companies want you to believe. I've had plenty of friends with the "invisible" radars get nailed going through VA. A few of them actually didnt get a ticket, instead the cop put the radar detector under the front tire and told them to drive forward and have a nice day.

that really looks cool and screw what people say its a work in progress. Your going to have fun making that smooth let me tell ya. As far as the amps go if it were me since you put so much effort into build this box, just save up for some new nice amps forget used just go all out. Hey I know funds are tight when your in college I am with ya on that and at the same point, but dont ghetto the equipment now.

Hydro- Looks fricken sweet. I think that i would leave the outside rough and spray paint it the color of your choice.

BTW, "nasty ice" or whatever is IMO a great cheapo beer. Especially working for over 15 hours or so. If you think about it, since the beer tastes like water, he probly stayed pretty hydrated w/out having to drink any water. For a project that long i couldn't drink alot of more expensive/ "stronger" cervezas...just wouldn't fit...

brandonloserkid said:
if the top 3 subs are too close together in a common chamber theres a chance it would be cancellation.

also, No radar detector is invisible from their detector detectors, as much as the companies want you to believe. I've had plenty of friends with the "invisible" radars get nailed going through VA. A few of them actually didnt get a ticket, instead the cop put the radar detector under the front tire and told them to drive forward and have a nice day.

How much would the ticket be??? Because if i'm correct V1's are like 3-400 bones. I'd say just give me the ticket...

brandonloserkid said:

They can only take it for evidence. Then they have to return it after the court date. If the cop told them to do that, he was breaking the law.

As for the smoking amp... it was the amp that worked for two years straight and just recently decided not to work anymore.

Pics are on their way

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a short vid of when all the subs were bumping... the 2 on the sides off the JBL 1200.1. Sounded very nice considering there were still a few leaks in the box. The camera's mic couldn't handle the sound though...

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/hydroxy/100_3615.MOV

getting pics soon...

Back