Wierd Clutch Problem...help me!!!

LOGJOCKY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leduc, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
Ok so I am gonna buy my uncles 85 ranger 4x4 but the clutch is mega fubared. You can start the vehicle but after that the clutch does not work at all. you can shift through 1 or 2 gears and then no more. it wont go into gear because the clutch does not engage when u press the pedal. I have no idea why this is and i need some info to figurs it out. the truck runs awesome and has a manual t-case so i really want it, but i gotta fix this first because i cant drive it. please help me. btw, my dads idiot brother changed the flywheel which did not have to be changed anyway, so could he have wrecked something or messed it up? Also when u start the truck it has a mega loud noise coming from the starter, almost like it is skipping teeth. it does start though. he said he put on a new starter with the flywheel. why is it making that noise, it is only when u start it so i know its the starter which is supposed to be new. could he have the wrong flywheel mabye? I am not sure what tranny is in it but it is a 2.9L engine. please let me know as soon as u can guys. thnks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump...

I'm not sure if that tranny has a hydraulic clutch or not, but it sounds like a bad master or slave clutch cylinder. Or low on fluid.

The starter sounds like you say, maybe he didn't toirqe down the flywheel or the starter came loose and chewed up the teeth.

You just have start inspecting.

Try bleeding the slave cylinder if it has one. Not sure about that year though.

Look on the firewall for something that looks like the brake resevoir only smaller.

it is a hydraulic clutch and i do think it may be leaking from the resevoir. i am gonna try to bleed it again. how exactly do i do that? as for the starter, i will check everything is tight and if i t is then i guess i drop the tranny again and toy with the flywheel. thanks for the input.

It is just like bleeding brakes. Do a search or get a manual for the specifics, but basically, it's a 2 man job. Pump the pedal, then hold it in, break opent the fitting to release the air, and repeat untill only fluid is coming out.

In the summertime, my truck will loose some pedal feel. When it does, I just re-bleed and it's better.

Now if the seals are leaking in the slave cylinder, this isn't going to help...it will ned replaced. It can't hurt to try though.

i wasn't sure what you meant by the clutch not engaging/disengaging,

if you press the clutch down does it come back up off the floor when depressing?
sometimes the clutch pedal will stick down if the slave cylinder has a leak and isn't holding pressure,

the starter problem sounds like it needs to be shimmed

and another thing, when your bleeding the cylinder make sure you leave cap off

the clutch pedal does come back up after u push it. just it does not engage so u can change gears. so i hope this means it aint the slave cyl, cause thats expensive. i will bleed it and add fluid and see what happens. also do i buy starter shyms or make em or what?

yes they sell starter shims, but a simplier cheaper way is to just use washers, i'm not sure if this will cause any problems, but i just used washers on my truck and i haven't had a problem with it yet

Back