Kappa's better than all other Infinity? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kappa's better than all other Infinity?

nozerider

Reaction score
City, State
Lahaina, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I wanted to know cuz I am going to get 2 new pairs of speakers, and Infinity's I heard are the best. I also heard the Kappas are awesome, but I've found them to be a little on the expensive side. Are the other models good? I obviously need 6X8/5X7 here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run Infinity all around, but I will be honest and say they're not the best. The quality is superb, and nothing really is branded the "best", but I love mine, and you sure will too.

Yes, Kappa is Infinity's premier line of products, as their Reference line is the lower end.

draft said:
Yes, Kappa is Infinity's premier line of products, as their Reference line is the lower end.

Actually Kappa is not there best line. There best is the Kappa Perfect shich will really cost you a bit. But the sound quality is better than the plain Kappa. I've had both in my Toyota and I prefer the perfect, but like I said "the money".

Within Kappa, I infered their sub-category of the Kappa Perfects. I run 2 Kappa Perfect 12.1D DVC 12" subs in my rear, didn't cost too much if you buy wholesale, and are amazing in my eyes.

The "moneyeaters" will be mostly found over at JL, could find compared quality for half of the price.

draft said:
The "moneyeaters" will be mostly found over at JL, could find compared quality for half of the price.

That is true as far as the subs. They are great and pretty cheap now. When they first come out they were about double the current price.(I used to own 2 12" perfects in my old mustang.)

But as far as the component or door speakers. Kappa Perfect will run you up there. The 6 1/2 component set runs about $300 at the cheapest internet sites. But, in my opinion they are well worth that and maybe more. But if your gonna go withquality highs like that, expect to buy an amp because it will make a world of a differnce, regardless of how much your hu puts out.

premium mbquarts will eat them alive (referring the the components) and for the same $ and better warranty.

expo5.0 said:
premium mbquarts will eat them alive (referring the the components) and for the same $ and better warranty.

I've never had any luck with MB quarts. I tried 2 different sets and blew the tweaters on both. Not sure why though. Only sent about 100 watts tops, but the ones I've heard in different vehicles were really good sounding. Not sure why I had such a problem, but the Perfects work fine in the 'yota off the same amp and sound really good.

I was a Quart guy for about 7 years and I have blown ~4 sets in that time. They have always seemed a little lackluster in the actual midbass range. Both my Focal PolyKevlars and Adire Kodas TROUNCE Quarts in that respect, and sound very warm as well. For tweeters, the Focal was a bit harsh fo rme so I went with a VIFA 25mm Silk Dome and life is good now.
:)

I've run MB Quartz Reference separates (with the competition xovers) for years and never had any problems. Originally I pushed them with a bridged Alpine MRVF400 and I've pushed the hell out of them. I currently have an xtant X604 behind them and they absolutely sing.

If I had a complaint it would be that the highs are a bit crisp (probably placement more than the drivers). However, all the others I auditioned at the time seemed to have a "dead" spot in the highs. In all honesty I would like to see what's available now and compare again but I'd probably talk myself into buying something new that I don't need, like the Infinity Perfect 12.1D I just bought to replace a perfectly good 12" SoloBaric. :rolleyes: Guess I'm an audio junky...

and Infinity's I heard are the best

Even though I have infinitys, they are far far far far far far from the "best". As far as the Infinity line goes, the Reference are good for the money, while the Kappas are better. The Kappa Perfects are not worth the extra money you pay for them unless you can find them cheap.

Yall have fun with your "Infinitys" and "JL's" Im going to custom mount Focal Speakers:) Try that for sound quality.

Well I found Infinity's to be a bit better (in my opinion) than MB Quarts, and I think they do have some sort of tweeter problem because my cousin lost his highs on his MB's after a while, could be because he pushed a little too hard, while my other cousin has no problem with his MB's other than one blew its tweeter for some odd reason, but the others were fine. My brother is running Infiniy Reference all around in his Expedition and they sound really clean and never had any problems with them in the 4 years hes had them.

Yall have fun with your "Infinitys" and "JL's" Im going to custom mount Focal Speakers Try that for sound quality.

Focal sucks, Dynaudio murders those speakers.

Back