DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
My left (drivers side) rear brake line has rusted through several inches before it connects with the flexible hose. Needless to say it is leaking fluid badly . This line runs along the frame rail. What is the prefered way to fix this? Do I get a whole new line form the auto store or do I cut off the bad line and patch in a new section? I've only swapped in new hoses before and have never had to replace hard lines before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I would run a whole new line and probably replace all the other lines as well. If one has gone then the chances are the others aren't far behind.

more good news:

Ford uses standard brake lines and fittings in your truck, so you can take your old length off and take it with you to the auto parts store to buy the new piece, you might want to get two in case you screw up one while bending it to shape.
At least do a visual on the other sections to ensure this is the only problem spot.

Run new lines. They are relatively inexpensive, and the last place to "save a buck" is on your braking system. Replacing hard lines is pretty easy, just unbolt the old one, bolt a new one in, and bleed the system. Make sure you have a set of flare wrenches to do it so you don't round the nuts off.

Thanks for the answers... I wasn't sure if the auto store stocked pre-bent, Lines or not. I haven't put the x on stands yet, so I am not exactly sure how long the run is going to be. I am assuming it will be one continuous run from the ABS manifold back. I guess I'll need to pick up a pipe bender ...

De-rocha, thats what I was talking about, it is not a continuous run, Ford uses the same lines you can buy at the auto parts store in the same lengths...
So it will leave the ABS manifold, and go 36" then have a coupling, etc...
So you should only have to replace the broken section.
Bending it is a snap with your hands, just be careful not to pinch it :)
For a one time deal like this no need to buy a tube bender, though I wish I had one too!!

Tube benders for brake lines are pretty cheap. You can get one from McMaster Carr supply for $14.64. Part # from them is 2478A12.

This pic shows me removing the rear hard line from the hose fitting.
18205brake_line1.jpg

The brake fluid eat right through the red Rustoleum paint. I had used Por-15 as a primer (black) and it was uneffected by the brake fluid.
18205Brake_fluid_on_paint.jpg

This pic shows the condition of the brake line (and fuel line) in the frame rail next to the gas tank.
18205101_0182-med.jpg

Ths pic shows the brake line in the rail with the gas tank removed. I couldn't remove the line from the little white line clips without removing the gas tank. I released the clips by pushing them through the frame, but I still couldn't remove the old line. I decided to drop the tank and do the job correctly.
18205101_0181-med.jpg

I am going to clean-up the mess and will need to get new fuel hard line as well. The new Brake line is a standard 3/16" and is one continuous run (10'+) from the abs controller to the rear hose connection. The autostores only carry 5' and under lengths so I will end up connecting 3 new lengths together (I needed 3 so I wouldn't place a coupling in the frame rail next to the tank.

My brake line just broke inn the exact same spot and i had to pull out all of the rear brake lines because of the condition they were in. Does anyone know what that braket in the first pic is called? And what is the thing that bolts to the diff. where the lines go to eac side called? Thanks

the thing on the diffy is the ABS sensor. when you take it out, make sure to clean off all the metal particles that will collect on it. youre gonna want to get a new line - theyre cheap enough. dont try to patch it - that line has to hold high pressures, so a patch could burst and cause your brakes to fail.

I replaced all of the lines, it was simple but time consuming. It cost about $28 for a 25ft. coil of brake line, fittings and a bender and the splitter on the diff. cost $45 at the dealership. I dont think the splitter was an abs sensor because there were no wires it just conects the hardline on the frame and connect to the lines to each wheel.

how did you drop the tank? i replaced my line but the old one got snagged so i just cut it out. and ran a new one. but its not clipped into clips.

Back