3.75" Backspacing vs. 4.0" bs??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.75" Backspacing vs. 4.0" bs???

Well im in search of a certain rim. I have found it but it doesnt have the particular backspacing I wanted, which is 3.75". It only comes with 4.0" bs. What I want to know is, whats the difference??? Where will it put the tire as oppossed to the 3.75". Right now Im rubbing the rear of my drivers side tire on the frame and a little bit of both the tires on the front swaybar. Is it really that big of a difference to not get the rims?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, they will put the wheel/tire a quarter inch closer to the frame. So that might make the rubbing worse.

Well, thats only if the bs of the stock rims is 3.75 which I have no idea. Im going from the stock 15x7 teardrop wheels to a 15x8 wheel. Does anyone know the bs on the stock rims?? I just want to know the difference from moving from a 15x7 stock rim to a 15x8 with 3.75 or moving from a 15x7 to a 15x8 with 4.0.

I think the stock BS is 4". Mine is 4 5/8"! :eek: I do rub a little bit in the rear with no sway bars. But its occasional and not bad when it happens. Plus, they don't look too horribly inset.

221992_17_full.jpg

I think stock is 3.25-inch on a 7-inch rim. 4-inch BS on an 8-inch rim tires will hit the sway bar at full lock.

Stock backspace on 1st gens was 4.5", and it probably didn't change for your year. A rim with 4" backspace will move your tire out i/2".

Ive got a stock 96 set laying in the garage... ill go measure the BS once i get more coffee in me. :) And yes, i believe all backspacing on the various stock 15's up to 01 were the same.

The backspacing on the factory 1996 teardrops is 4.5". Your new 15x8's will more than likely cure the rubbing issues.

So moving from the stock 15x7 with 4.5" to a 15x8 with 4.0" will move my rim out .5"?? And if I go to a 15x8 with 3.75"it will move my rim out .75"?? Either one would cure my minor rubbing issues? But might they cause me to rub on the running board which I already had to do a little minor trimming already.

Bump
Im looking to purchase these today if I can get some answers to my questions, thanks.

They May rub your running boards,but, since you've already trimmed them a bit, just trim some more, or take your running boards off... esp. if you wheel it.

--Ryan

The part Im worried about is the frame/swaybar rub. Ill just trim the running boards some more if they rub there. And they are staying on, even when I wheel:p. I just like the look of them and they hide the frame pretty good. So Im good with 3.75 or 4.0 bs?? I know about 3.75 I was just curious about the 4.0". I think Im gonna order them later today.
Thanks

Texplorer said:
So moving from the stock 15x7 with 4.5" to a 15x8 with 4.0" will move my rim out .5"??
On the inside, yes. On the outside your wheel will be out 1.5".

Texplorer said:
And if I go to a 15x8 with 3.75"it will move my rim out .75"??
On the inside, yes. On the outside your wheel will be out 1.75".

Texplorer said:
Either one would cure my minor rubbing issues?
They should make it much better. More than likely you will no longer have any rub on the inside of the framerail or the swaybar.

Texplorer said:
But might they cause me to rub on the running board which I already had to do a little minor trimming already.
Possibly. Every truck is different. You never did say what brand/size tires you are running and how much lift...

Well Thanks a lot James, thats exactly what I needed to know. Im running 33/12.50 on about 4 1/2" of lift. Im have minor rubbing so Im was sure that the 3.75"bs would cure that but I wasnt sure that the 4.0"bs would.

ok u all got me interested now. I think my car's tires look a little inset. so what ur telling me is that i need to get smaller backspacing and that makes the tires go out? How much does this cost (im not gona do it myself)?

The lower the number, the futher out the tires will be. It all depends on what the bs is on the rims you get. You cant just change bs, it is built into the rims, if you want different bs you need to get new rims.

so the only way to make the tires look more on the outside i would have to get new rims?? %$#@. ok guess ill just have to deal with it.

ALRIGHT ONE LAST QUESTION.

I can get the rims I want with 3.75"bs from 4wp shipped to my door for $200

I can get the same rims with 4.0"bs from Cragar shipped to my door for $156

Is the extra $46 worth getting the rims with 3.75"bs or should I just go with the 4.0"bs and save the extra money??? I WILL order the rims today based on this question.

I'm confused also. The stock rims are 15X7 with a 4.5" bolt pattern & a 4.5" Back Space? If this is so & I get 15X8 rims with a 4" back space with stock 235 tires will I rub? I'm looking at new rims. The tires I have are still new. I might go bigger at some point so will the rims also fit a 30, or 31" tire without any rubbing issues? I have no lift planed.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That means that your rim will stick out .5". With a stock tire I dont think you will have anything to worry about.

Back