• Register Today It's free!

wich subs should i get

98EB5.0

Reaction score
City, State
spring hill, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eb
hey guys i and looking for new subs. right now what im looking at are the rockford stage 2's wich are 400 peak and 200 rms. i am running a rockford 301m puch amp wich is 900 watts max 336 rms. im looking to keep it under 275 what other subs could i get. will the stage 2's bumb pretty good. let me know what you guys would do

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I would do is throw away anything I have that says "Rockford" and or "Fosgate" on it

airkevin23 said:
The only thing I would do is throw away anything I have that says "Rockford" and or "Fosgate" on it
I disagree with that. I have been using them for years with no problems. Im actually pushing my rockford 12" punches to double there limit with a rockford 501bd amp amp and the subs are still holding up fine.

you run audiobahn and are taking shots at rockford?

i run both, rockford is far more reliable for subs than audiobahn. no competition there. call up audiobahn for a warranty claim- they'll have hundreds of every model ready to go immediately from the refurb pile. call up rockford and you get a new sub...

airkevin23 said:

Pretty ignorant comment. I suggest you have some valid facts before knocking RF. Their amps are of top notch quality in my eyes. My friends Lightning has a set of 10s, nothing big, but very reliable and sound is great. I don't agree at all.

Pretty ignorant comment. I suggest you have some valid facts before knocking RF. Their amps are of top notch quality in my eyes. My friends Lightning has a set of 10s, nothing big, but very reliable and sound is great. I don't agree at all.

"Their amps are of top notch quality in my eyes" this was the part that got me here. Saying this shows a lot here. Top quality amps are products like Sinfoni, American Bass, Xtant and Phoenix Gold. Rockford is nowhere near in the same league as these products. Rockford is over priced for what they are, their subs sound terrible and their amps draw power like crazy, and are freakin heat boxes, in fact the stereo store I go to uses one as a barbeque. I do realize I have Audiobahns, not known for their SQ, but I compete in SPL with these things, that's their purpose. And as far as their warranty claims, the only time I blew a sub in the 2 years that I've had them, I go a brand new one within a week.

airkevin23 said:
"Their amps are of top notch quality in my eyes" this was the part that got me here. Saying this shows a lot here. Top quality amps are products like Sinfoni, American Bass, Xtant and Phoenix Gold. Rockford is nowhere near in the same league as these products. Rockford is over priced for what they are, their subs sound terrible and their amps draw power like crazy, and are freakin heat boxes, in fact the stereo store I go to uses one as a barbeque. I do realize I have Audiobahns, not known for their SQ, but I compete in SPL with these things, that's their purpose. And as far as their warranty claims, the only time I blew a sub in the 2 years that I've had them, I go a brand new one within a week.

not to get in the middle of someone elses fight, but i gotta give it to airkevin. ROCKFORD FOSGATE DOES NOT MAKE QUALITY COMPONENTS! the components they make are decent for the money, better than wal-mart and radio shack, but they are not to be compared to "top notch quality" stereos, which consist of much better components(and to all not electronicly advanced, i'm not talking about your stupid wattage ratings and rms ratings, i'm talking about capacitors and transistors and resisters).... the actual inside of the amplifier.

I'm not even going to bother with this. RF is, and was, quality in certain fields, has increased in some and decreased in others, and that's it. Show me some facts other than your petty little word and I might just give this a thought, but other than that, good day sir. Here, let me say this, Audiobahns are complete crap because of their lame flames and are no better than MTX, aren't you going to believe me? Exactly, show me some dough.

There is nothing wrong with Rockford Fosgate .. They have quality stuff.. Plus they are one of the few companies that make their stuff in the US.. There are a few others but to get them you gotta pay lots more.

Personally I have run Rockfords.. I blew one sub and didn't want to have to buy 2 more to replace since I had the older style Rockford DVC's, the models before they came out with the HX2's.. So cause the prices for the HX2's were high I went with Earthquake, which I kept until I got the L5 Kickers I got right now.

I've had Rockford amps, which are some of the better amps on the market. Still wish I had my old Punch 200DSM (someone liked it better than I did and stole it and the rest of the system from me). That amp puts out more than most amps ever did.. Another thing about Fosgate is most of their stufff will go 1ohm. Factory doesn't rate it at that but it will do it.. Yes their amps get hot but I have seen my Alpine, Clarion, and even JL amps get how to. Amps get hot, especially when there is no circulating air.

Personally I am running mostly Kicker stuff and like it. I got my amps for less than $600 for brand new amps and the subs were $120 a piece.

Its all in the box design anyways.. You can build a perfect box and put a crappy sub in it that will hit hard and have a top of the line sub in a crappy box and it will sound like crap..

I run both RF and Audiobahn, RF amps (301M infact) and Audiobahn subs. Fellas they are both outstanding companies. I am 100% happy with my amps/ never had a problem and they sound fanstastic. The only thing I would change about my audiobahn subs is that I wish i would have bought higher-end Audiobahn.
Everyone here has had good experiences with some products and bad experiences with some products. Because person X blew his Audiobahn Sub doesnt mean that Audiobahn sucks. Because Person Z burned up his RF Amp doesnt mean RF sucks. Even with the top of the line stuff, your every-now-and-then gonna get some problems. Both RF and Audiobahn are high-quality, good value(if you know where to look) companies.
As for the kid getting the subs.....get a higher wattage than the stage two from RF. Thats a good amp you got there and your going to want to get a sub that cant be overpowered by it. I have 400W Rms subs and they sound great. Find some subs with wattage around that.

I'm not even going to bother with this. RF is, and was, quality in certain fields, has increased in some and decreased in others, and that's it. Show me some facts other than your petty little word and I might just give this a thought, but other than that, good day sir. Here, let me say this, Audiobahns are complete crap because of their lame flames and are no better than MTX, aren't you going to believe me? Exactly, show me some dough.

You're not even going to bother with this and yet write a paragraph. If I say things like Pyramid sucks, or Pyle, or Jensen, or Hollywood, anyone who knows anything about car audio is going to agree with me. Once you have heard quality systems and quality products, you know what is good and bad. Rockford's products are highly over priced for what they deliver. Normally people just getting into car audio are going to go the RF way because that's what places like Best Buy really push. But if they continue going into car audio, the Rockford stuff will be long gone from their car (unless we are talking about older rockford amps). Rockford is probably good if you want a no hassel system, you don't want to take the time to research, and just want something in your car and best buy is your nearest store.

^ But you still cant say anything bad about RF. They make good stuff. All you can say is that its over-priced when it isnt if you know where to buy. Stop Hating on RF because you could go all RF and have a damn good system where nobody could say "you didnt do your research". Your a little right on the "continue going into car audio" idea. Im a long way from upgrading my amps, if ever. But if i did, id probably buy some Soundstream amps.

Rockford is virtually tarnishing car audio. If I had a damn nickle for every kid who thought RF was the best thing to ever hit car audio, I could buy myself a nice system. RF products bring ignorance into car audio, not to mention their subs sound like crap, theres no denying that once you heard what a good sub sounds like. They will get loud, but you can get almost any sub to do that with the right amount of power and a good box.

Yeah, let me mention I have an old RF amp, not the new lines (02+). Have you forgotten to even think for a second everyones ear's take low frequency soundwaves differently? Some could say Pioneers hit, while others bag on it. Whether Best Buy is pushing it or not, RF wins competitions just as much as much as everybody else. If their subs suck so bad, then why are still in the god dam business? Because if they suck, no one would buy them right?

Your last statement in that last post just contradicted your entire debate, BTW. Like you just said, ANY sub can sound loud with the correct power and box specs, and it's true. With that in mind, I find all your points, still, invalid.

i say we turn this topic back to what it was, the guy wanted to know which sub he should buy....this turned into a big debate thread w/ no purpose whats so ever then pissing people off

i say we turn this topic back to what it was, the guy wanted to know which sub he should buy....this turned into a big debate thread w/ no purpose whats so ever then pissing people off

it has a purpose, and if he wants subs, ID Maxes, or go PG Titanium Elite or W7's if he has more money.

RF wins competitions just as much as much as everybody else.

which competitions do you go to

then why are still in the god dam business

mainly because people who are ignorant to car audio think they are the ****

Your last statement in that last post just contradicted your entire debate, BTW. Like you just said, ANY sub can sound loud with the correct power and box specs, and it's true. With that in mind, I find all your points, still, invalid.

point me to the place in this discussion where I said RF couldn't get loud, in fact I said they could

After rereading your first post, forget about those three subs, look into Adire Audio or Elemental Designs.

Re:

ADIRE or ELEMENTAL DESIGNS? Are you kidding? This kid doesnt need to spend that much money. You cant get an Adire sub for under 200$ (Its like 189$ isnt it? anyway,) This kid does not need that high end. ESPECIALLY with the 301M Amp that he has. He will underpower the subs and fry them in a couple of weeks. Dont Buy a RF Sub because they are overpriced (They still make good amps). Get an Audiobahn Sub that matches the wattage on your Amp and you will be golden. AirKevin is advising you with complete overkill.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back