wich subs should i get | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wich subs should i get

You know it depends on what this kid wants..

First before anyone can truley let you know what type of sub you should get they need to know what type of music do you listen to? Different subs react differnetly to each music..

Personally I would recommend a single L5 Kicker. Put it in a 4 cubic foot vented box built to specs and be done with it. Your truck will be loud enough for most peoples tastes and you can get them on Ebay for around $120. Plus it will play anything you want as far as musically.

If you are adamant about getting 2 12's I could recommend getting some Earthquake DBX12's .. I had 2 of them being powered by a single Alpine MRV1002 (100x2 watt) amp and I hit 138.4db in my ranger. When I went to a JL500.1 amp that increased to 144.5db using the exact same subs in the exact same box. So yes power does wonders..

If you want super low bass.. MTX is coming out with the Blue Thunder line again.. For low, low bass you can't beat them..

Oh yeah I have to agree with Glowin..... Audiobahn does suck.. They are good to make your system look pretty for show or SPL competitions were SQ doesn't matter. If you want to run in SPL Audiobahns top of the line does do good in comp but acoustically you'll get better sound out of a Pyramid..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ADIRE or ELEMENTAL DESIGNS? Are you kidding? This kid doesnt need to spend that much money. You cant get an Adire sub for under 200$ (Its like 189$ isnt it? anyway,) This kid does not need that high end. ESPECIALLY with the 301M Amp that he has. He will underpower the subs and fry them in a couple of weeks. Dont Buy a RF Sub because they are overpriced (They still make good amps). Get an Audiobahn Sub that matches the wattage on your Amp and you will be golden. AirKevin is advising you with complete overkill.

Damn are you kidding, he says 275, you can get 2 Edesign Kx 12's for 135 and 2 K 12's for 205. You can get one Adire Tempest 15, that's the only thing it comes in, for 150, or two Shiva 12's for 250. Anything else you would like to recommend to this guy.

P.S. under powering does not fry a sub

Sorry, Ive just heard of that before, i dont really have any info....about the underpowering.

But with the recommendation.... I recommend an Audiobahn Excursion sub with that amp. That will run you less than 100$. And they sound great (My neighbor had one). Hes got a RF Amp, and they go great with Audiobahn Subs (If Anyone knows that, I do). And if people are still saying Audiobahn and RF Are crap, come take a ride with me and you will eat your words. I know they arnt going to take Adire or maybe even Elemental Designs, but you cant just say they are both ****ty companies that make ****ty products.

Like I said the only thing audiobahn is good for is loud bass and only their higher end subs.. If you want something that is going to sound good they would not be my first choice..

I think this forum has lost it's direction in the past couple of months or so.

This person came over here wondering what sub(s) would be good for his amp, and cost him less than $275. If you really don't know, then don't answer. If you want to start a flamewar that has basically nothing to do with the original post, then just don't answer.

The truth is, the majority of you guys have no idea what you're talking about. That's fine, make a recommendation based on what you've personally heard, and move on. There's really no need for this. It doesn't do anyone any good to knock a brand because you read somewhere else that someone didn't like them.

Seems that there are only 2 or 3 helpful responses in this entire thread(this one not being one of them). He's probably worse off now than when he came here looking for 'advice'. Every brand has it's good and bad. Entry level and elite. Give a link or two, give your personal experiences with products you've owned or used, and leave it at that. Please.

I'm tired of seeing threads like this. This forum was created to help people. So help.

I think this forum has lost it's direction in the past couple of months or so.

This person came over here wondering what sub(s) would be good for his amp, and cost him less than $275. If you really don't know, then don't answer. If you want to start a flamewar that has basically nothing to do with the original post, then just don't answer.

The truth is, the majority of you guys have no idea what you're talking about. That's fine, make a recommendation based on what you've personally heard, and move on. There's really no need for this. It doesn't do anyone any good to knock a brand because you read somewhere else that someone didn't like them.

Seems that there are only 2 or 3 helpful responses in this entire thread(this one not being one of them). He's probably worse off now than when he came here looking for 'advice'. Every brand has it's good and bad. Entry level and elite. Give a link or two, give your personal experiences with products you've owned or used, and leave it at that. Please.

I'm tired of seeing threads like this. This forum was created to help people. So help..

Thank you all knowing one for that little nugget of knowledge you just shared. Ok so lets see here, he came in here asking about sub. A little flaming went on, but then he was recommend some sub brands he may have never even heard of that are better than 97 percent of brands out there. He also was recommended some brands that are more common. What really else do you expect here.

Your post was just as useless as our flamewar metalhed, hope you see that too.

EDs and the REs would fit his budget and give off a good amount of sound quality. I honestly don't think he's going for SPL, so I'd stay away from Audiobahn. Check into some L5/L7 Kickers if you want to, but I'd go for an ED if you got that much to spend. Do it right the first time. ;)

Wow Airkevin you are one to start a nice little argument. Let me guess everything you got is the best and everything that anyone else has just sucks? First off Rockford Fosgate makes decent amps, but for the retail price it is not worth it, but who pays retail in car audio anymore? No one. Geez if the amp is overheating than just put a cooling fan on it. Not that diffcult to do. As far as subs go you have two choices a spl beast that will give you great bass or more of a sq sub that will give you good balance and not drown out all the music. All depends on what you want out of your sub. What sub that is made for spl ever sounded like a mozart symphony? None they are mean't to blow your ear drums out and rack up the dbs! I love the Audiobahn post of "Audiobahn sucks" that really helps us narrow down what sucks now doesnt it. Is it their amps, components, screens, subs, etc... Anyways what I am saying is don't even bother posting "what do you guys think of this system" posts because you won't get anywhere. Just go out buy what you think is a good setup for your budget and if it works for you than by god screw what anyone else says. My ranting is done. :bounce:

WOW going back and seeing that you even mention a w7 to this guy is hilarious. Talk about overpriced that thing is way to expensive and if your going for bass it won't win you any spl contests. How many w7s do you see winning 2-4 street categories? Disregard he even mention the w7 as a quality product for the price. LOL :nono: This thread is pointless and should be deleted.

Wow Airkevin you are one to start a nice little argument. Let me guess everything you got is the best and everything that anyone else has just sucks?

Yes that is exactly what I said :rolleyes:

As far as subs go you have two choices a spl beast that will give you great bass or more of a sq sub that will give you good balance and not drown out all the music

This is so far from the truth it's not even funny. You saying this just pretty much shows your ignorance.

Disregard he even mention the w7 as a quality product for the price.

Have you ever heard one in a good installation and not on some sound board. It may be the best sub on the market right now.

Geez if the amp is overheating than just put a cooling fan on it. Not that diffcult to do.

This will not always solve the problem.

The main reason Fosgate amps overheat is because the majority of the owners, including me, run them bridged, and it heats them up like no other, and fast. You run them stereo, they'll be fine, just a little fact for you. In the new line of Fosgate's (amps), they've actually improved their cooling control, but again not really noticable due to the fact most people run them bridged.

draft said:
The main reason Fosgate amps overheat is because the majority of the owners, including me, run them bridged, and it heats them up like no other, and fast. You run them stereo, they'll be fine, just a little fact for you. In the new line of Fosgate's (amps), they've actually improved their cooling control, but again not really noticable due to the fact most people run them bridged.

They also have this Heavy Metal shell on them, unlike most that have light, cool shells. My amps get a little hot but they never cut out or anything. Also, I live in GA and it is currently hot as balls down here and they still work after my car has been sitting in the sun for 12 hours.

...and did anybody else notice that the kid that started this post cant spell at all?

airkevin23 said:
"Their amps are of top notch quality in my eyes" this was the part that got me here. Saying this shows a lot here. Top quality amps are products like Sinfoni, American Bass, Xtant and Phoenix Gold. Rockford is nowhere near in the same league as these products. Rockford is over priced for what they are, their subs sound terrible and their amps draw power like crazy, and are freakin heat boxes, in fact the stereo store I go to uses one as a barbeque. I do realize I have Audiobahns, not known for their SQ, but I compete in SPL with these things, that's their purpose. And as far as their warranty claims, the only time I blew a sub in the 2 years that I've had them, I go a brand new one within a week.
img_5380.jpg

really? im running right now a 1000a2 RF amp.....box rated at 1k watts...bench tested at around 1500 watts and i have never once heard distortion from this amp..... out of the many amps ive used this RF amp is the best ive ever owned....and as for over priced....they were about 500 new....the new X series RF amps are around 500$ and push at least double mine...one was even bench tested at around 3-4k watts i forget which, one of my friends showed me the amp they bench tested at muntz audio.....
the only people who knock a certain brand just show you they know nothing about them, EVERY brand has a bad product or two.....i suggest you try to do a little bit of research before you try to shoot down rf, btw ive had audiobahn....one of the worst subs ive ever had....and also you can make ANY sub get a high score in SPL drags....thise one guy who competed against me hit 156.xx in a blazer with 2 walmart 8s.....its just as much the box as it is the subs....matter of fact come to dropfest this year....ill show you what rf can do with the right setup..ill be running 3 more 1000a2 amps along with this one...or maybe just one more havent decided yet,maybe ill have my other 4 12s in by then.... not sure but either way..come into our SPL drags...compete....
www.dropfest.com
*edit*damn, my box looks crooked in that pic LOL

draft said:
the only time mine gets hot is if i run it in stereo...stays ice cold bridged....

virtually everyone who has posted here appears to be just trying to start a fight.

there are like 50 manufacturers who make good equipment. Get somethign that fits your budget and needs and has a nice warranty.

why does everyone have to argue like this? I'm sorry for my part in starting it

expo5.0 said:
virtually everyone who has posted here appears to be just trying to start a fight.

there are like 50 manufacturers who make good equipment. Get somethign that fits your budget and needs and has a nice warranty.

why does everyone have to argue like this? I'm sorry for my part in starting it
amen....every brand has a bad product like i said....i just happened to have a bad audiobahn sub...i like theyr amps though :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

really? im running right now a 1000a2 RF amp.....box rated at 1k watts...bench tested at around 1500 watts and i have never once heard distortion from this amp..... out of the many amps ive used this RF amp is the best ive ever owned....and as for over priced....they were about 500 new....the new X series RF amps are around 500$ and push at least double mine...one was even bench tested at around 3-4k watts i forget which, one of my friends showed me the amp they bench tested at muntz audio.....the only people who knock a certain brand just show you they know nothing about them, EVERY brand has a bad product or two.....i suggest you try to do a little bit of research before you try to shoot down rf, btw ive had audiobahn....one of the worst subs ive ever had....and also you can make ANY sub get a high score in SPL drags....thise one guy who competed against me hit 156.xx in a blazer with 2 walmart 8s.....its just as much the box as it is the subs....matter of fact come to dropfest this year....ill show you what rf can do with the right setup..ill be running 3 more 1000a2 amps along with this one...or maybe just one more havent decided yet,maybe ill have my other 4 12s in by then.... not sure but either way..come into our SPL drags...compete....

First off, I don't know where the whole distortion from your amp arguement came from. Second, Audiobahn kills Rockford in the sub catagory. SPL wise it's not really a contest. Put it in a situation with the same power and an equal sized box and Audiobahn will win. SQ they both suck. Third, not every brand has a bad product. Lastly, I would love to come to the competition, St. Louis gets shafted when it comes to those, but thats way to long of a drive. What kinda numbers do you hit with those 4 12's?

Back