FordBeast98's SAS in progress! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FordBeast98's SAS in progress!

Front:
-'79 Bronco HP Dana 44
-4.88's(open for now)
-Warn Manual hubs
-Trying to reuse all the bronco front suspension

Rear:
-'79 Ford 9"
-going to convert to disk
-4.88's(really 4.86 but close enough)
-Mini-spool
I finially got sick of the IFS(Independent Fu*ked suspension) I was tired of the no-flex and wanted something a little beefer.

When i get done im going to run the 35's for a while and im going to run some 37'MTR's when i get the money.Also i will finailly! be swapping in my 1354.

First off i say this wouldnt be possible without my friend morris. He is helping me do this and i really appreciate it.(thanks man).

So far i have the the rear sprung over and i am in the process of dissasembling the front.The gears are being installed and my axles are being rebuilt as i speak. I will post more pics as soon as i get them and keep you all updated. Here is one that i could get of the d44. More pics will be up later tonight hopefully.Feel free to ask questions as i will.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 967

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question that you or one of the other SAS guys could answer. How difficuly would it be to use parts from a CJ-7 to do a SAS. My brother has one that he has given up on rebuilding. He had recently put a 305 in it and was going strong but supporting his kid is much more important. If I were to do a SAS I would also have to do a 4wd swap. Which I hear isnt so bad compared to doing the SAS. If you want you or anyone else can PM me with the answers as to not hijack the thread. Thanks in advanced.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

38's :eek: This is truely going to be a beast!

I'd say you'll probaby have to go with bigger coils unless you plan on doing some cutting.

Does it make a difference on ride quality or control if the buckets are higher or lower on the frame? Anyone know? I would think that if you had the buckets higher it would help control a little bit of the sway.

JoshC said:
Does it make a difference on ride quality or control if the buckets are higher or lower on the frame? Anyone know? I would think that if you had the buckets higher it would help control a little bit of the sway.
For the most part, no- it makes no difference.

Thanks James, i was just curious.

Are you guys bolting your coil buckets on or welding them?

38's!!! Thats out of control.

Subscribing. 38's!?!?! WOW gotta see more pics as you progress

Are you going to be running stock shafts or chromoly? The guy I picked up the HP D44 told me that he was getting rid of it due to running 38s and a locker. He had blown up warn outers and blown up warn premium hubs.
Also, why the Bronco D44? I'd be a little worried about the THIN piece of tubing on the passenger side.
I'm going to do a SAS soon, I've got the D44 cut down and it's running chevy outers except for ford rotor and hub so I can retain the ford bolt pattern of 5x5.5.

JoshC- Ill find out on sun if i need bigger coils when we setup the coil buckets. I think i minght be fine though. THe coils are lifted coils u can get from the factory i believe. Welding the coil buckets but might add some bolts too.Also my axles are full width too remember.

Warform-Running stock shafts now. Your friend running a big v8?. I wont upgrade them till I brake them.Im going to run it open for the time being and probably put a powertrax in it when i get the money.THe 44 is a beefy axle and I cant wait till i test it out.

Ill take some pics tom of the 38's.

Warform said:
so I can retain the ford bolt pattern of 5x5.5.

i thought the bolt pattern for the explorer was 5x4.5.

was i misinformed or am i missing something here? :confused:

The Explorer bolt pattern is a 5 x4.5. The older bronco and the full size bolt patterns are 5x5.5. It's still ford, that's what he meant by it.

This is gonig to be a beautiful rig when it's all finshed up, i love the way it looks now!

FordBeast98 - Yeah, a V8. I'm saving up for aftermarket shafts since i'm going to be putting a little more power into my 5.0L.
Once you're done FordBeast, take a ton of pictures!
JoshC is correct, that's what I was talking about.

JoshC- Thanks man, your rig isnt that bad looking either!

Warform- I will, im trying to get a better camera. I might upgrade the front shafts. I will probably brake one with the SOHC hammered at 6,000 rpm's. I love the motor!

looks like your off to a great start with your sas. cant wait to see pics of your beast on those 38's. trust me they will look awesome. keep up the good work.
subscribing.

Tizires!

38's

Attachments

• sst2.jpg
    sst2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 531
  • sst.jpg
    sst.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 541

will yours be the 1st second gen to have 38's?

it's going to look awesome!

fury's sig says he has 38's. Post some pics fury i gotta see it. thats sick

hey good observation rook, i didnt even see that.

hey fury i gotta see that thing in person one day ! post some pics mang !

nice tls u got there FordBeast98. i bet u cant wait to get them on the road. trust me everyone wont be able to take their eyes off your x.

n3m3s1s,TheRookie
Dont want to be disrespectful and post pics on someone else's tread. but
i put a link in my signature if u want to check it out.

Hey Fordbeast98, just wanted to subscribe to this thread. Good luck and I can't wait to see it done!

Did you get the Canvas Windows I shipped you? Any pics yet?

Back