Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Tailgate Swap

Do you have the hinges properly aligned? Did the mounting points for the hinges on the tailgate get bent/tweaked when you were adjusting the tailgate?
  2. T

Stall on stopping

Does it start in neutral as well? Next time, try putting it in 1 or 2 (skip drive) and see if you can take off that way. I had a similar issue (stalling in drive after warmed up when coming to a stop), and it was my TCC solenoid. If I shifted to 1 or 2, it wouldn't stall. A transmission shop...
  3. T

'98 Windows going down roughly

This would be the first thing I would check. I had to lube my tracks with white lithium (spray) when I bought my Explorer six years ago. I just had to re-lube them last month, and all is well again.
  4. T

Broken tailgate window hinges- help!

There's a nut that holds the hinge to the tailgate. If you cannot get your old one, you'll need to pick one up.
  5. T

Which Sender?

Oh, she already has!
  6. T

Which Sender?

The eBay kit arrived and I got back to work on my Explorer. I had a bit of trouble with the sender/sensor clips. I needed to cut a little material off from the ends of the clips so that they could get around the sender and the sensor. It's almost like I got the wrong clips (which is...
  7. T

Which Sender?

Advance had a housing for a third generation Explorer, but the housing didn't have two holes for the sender and the sensor; it only had one. I ended up ordering the kit that was linked to above.
  8. T

Which Sender?

It looks like I will be upgrading to the newer style now. I picked up the new (old style) housing today and tried to install it. Unfortunately, the bushing for the sender spun while I was trying to install the sender (go figure!). I noticed before I tried installing the sender that there were...
  9. T

Which Sender?

I noticed that. The diameter of the new sender I have is larger than the sensor, so that's likely why the hole is larger. That's a great price!
  10. T

Which Sender?

Advance says they can get me this lower housing by Tuesday: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/factory-air-engine-coolant-thermostat-housing-85138/10125734-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15023# They have the complete housing in stock, but it's quite a bit more money. That said, I think I'll...
  11. T

Which Sender?

I tore it back apart today and tested the sender (the gray one). It read almost 0 (0.08, I believe) with a cold engine, so I think that's my problem. I went to remove it and as luck would have it, the bushing spun--joy! It looks like I'll be replacing the housing.
  12. T

Which Sender?

Thank you again. I'll try to tinker with it a bit more tomorrow if time permits. I also decided to pick up some intake manifold gaskets, so I'm going to replace those while I'm at it.
  13. T

Which Sender?

That chart will be helpful, thank you. Which sensor is the one I need to test? I see both sensors and they both have two wires going to them.
  14. T

Which Sender?

Thank you for the refilling advice. I wasn't aware of the issues with this engine and getting the air out of the block. Right now I just have water in it for testing purposes, but I will be sure to try the method you suggested when I refill it with coolant. I have read about the sensors and how...
  15. T

Which Sender?

I have a 1998 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC engine. I went to make a quick trip yesterday, but I noticed the check gauge illuminate and my temperature gauge was indicating that the engine was too hot. I pulled over and shut the engine down. There was still enough coolant in the reservoir. The...
  16. T

Broke the lug studs right off

It might not be the recommended way, but you can install new studs without removing the axle; I did just that a few years ago. I used a large stack of grade 8 washers, an old lug nut, a 1/2" breaker bar, and a VERY LONG cheater bar to seat the studs (I replaced several of them). If you look...
  17. T

Stalling at stops due to transmission not disengaging.

1. That is correct. 2. No I don't, I'm sorry. The transmission shop I had use their scan tool didn't have a new one in stock; instead, they pulled one out of a tranny they had in their shop and sold it to me at a discount (roughly 50% off the price of a new one). I'd definitely have a shop...
  18. T

Stalling at stops due to transmission not disengaging.

If you shift the transmission to 2 or 1, does it still stall? When I bought my current Explorer, it stalled when stopping in drive; however, it would stay running in 2 or 1. In my case, the TCC solenoid was bad. I replaced it and all has been well ever since (5+ years). Someone with a good...
  19. T

longer roof rack, set up for ladders

Old thread! I extended the roof rack on my 1996 Explorer that way. I simply cut down the roof rack rails of another Explorer and added them in front of the factory rails. I loved the look and thought it was how it should have looked from the factory. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as that...
  20. T

Joined the 2nd Gen club

It definitely looks good considering her age and mileage (rear wiper aside)!
  21. T

1998 Ford Explorer display in roof not working

The overhead counsel will display temperature and compass information. Here's a thread that may be of help to you: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187953
  22. T

Stuck In The Snow

Sounds like a fun evening! Thanks for sharing!
  23. T

Anyone know where to get this repaired or how to repair it?

It definitely looks like it's coming along nicely!
  24. T

Worst Wiper Blades Ever

I agree with those who have had great success with the Bosch Icon blades; I've been using them for years and won't buy anything else.
  25. T

Please help!! Lost my only key to 99 explorer

I'd continue searching for your key and I'd continue trying to get in touch with a qualified locksmith. The last thing on my mind would be scrapping a vehicle that I have sunk a fair amount of money in all because I lost the key. Good luck.
Back