Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Fuel Pump? Filter? What do you think?

I've experience a fuel pump going out and it displayed the same type of intermitent starting issues. I'd replace the pump and the filter.
  2. P

Sticky Oil Pressure Gauge

I agree to replace the sensor. Also, if you don't mind making a little mess; pull the old one out and start the car for a brief second or two and let the oil pressure blow out anything that may be clogging your sensor port. It will get a little messy and definitely don't do it for more than a...
  3. P

For Sale Parting out 97 Explorer 2 Dr Sport ControlTrac - 30 minutes west of Cleveland

Installed the transfer-case on Saturday. Works like a champ. Thanks!
  4. P

A/C Clutch replacement on vehicle

disregard. Found my answer
  5. P

Speedo not working..

Does your cruise control still work?
  6. P

Air compressor 96 Ford Explorer

I had my clutch burn out. Evacuated the system and swapped out the compressor. Only had the system open for a small amount of time. Recharged and presed on. Now if my compressor had an internal failure or a broken line, I probably would've changed out the additional components. With 220K...
  7. P

Which transfer case do I have?

No luck with disconnecting the brown wire. I still have the gear whine after 45 MPH when I let off the gas. If a keep the RPMs above 1K, it wont make a noise. I guess it's back to the gear shop to have them take a look at the transfer case. Any chance this could be the transmission?
  8. P

So I see the brown wire is part of the large connector. Any issues with me disconnecting the whole thing or do I have to seperate only the brown wire? What other indications or issues will I create by disconnecting the plug? Thanks!
  9. P

Not that I'm getting any smarter, but was thinking the same thing. Will let you know! I appreciate your insight.
  10. P

Well, I chose to pull the transfer case and have it looked at one more time. Spending $500 and drivng 200 miles didnt seem prudent for a used TC. Anyway, shop said everything looked good except the rear drum was a bit worn. Had them replace and put it in. Now, any time I go above 50ish MPH and...
  11. P

Brown wire mod?

Great info, trying tonight!
  12. P

Got it. Looks Like Ill be dropping mine and driving to houston to pick one up. No worries, theres a WS6 hood for my 98 TA that I can pick up at the same time(I hope!)
  13. P

Thanks Glen, I appreciate the info. Theres a local yard that has a '98 T-case that looked like mine, but the ID number was slightly different at the beginning. If it'll work, I'd be saving about $200:)
  14. P

wrong t-case Thanks for the info! Went to take a look at one today. Definitely the wrong one out of an 95, but had the ID I thought I needed. So I might have misunderstood the type of transfer case I have. My selector switch has three setting: Auto, Hi, and Low. So is this a PT electric...
  15. P

I have a 97 Explorer XLT, VIN # 1FMDU34E3VUB80907. It has 206,000 miles and my transfer case is gone for the third time. I had it rebuilt by a local shop here in San Antonio, Nogalitos Gear. Obviously a bad choice. I even took it back before the warranty expired the 2nd time, but they didnt...
  16. P

Please help. Engine? Tranny? transfer case? im stumped.

My guess is the transfer case.
  17. P

Is my alternator bad?

Sounds like you do have resistance/corrosion in the cables as mentioned befoere. Try cutting/pealing back the insulation on your cables to see if you find the greenish corrosion. I'd bet you have a bad cable or connection somewhere in line.
  18. P

'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

Hope its the driveshaft, but I had the same issues with banging while accelerating, regardless of speed. My turned out to be the transfer case.
  19. P

Head Gasket Replacement Timeline

I agree with definitely replacing the timing chain guides in the front and rear. If the engine is going to be out might also consider replacing the intake gaskets as well. If you decide to pull the head, might as well get a valve job, however, only if you go forward with replacing the head...
  20. P

Oil Pressure Gauge Going Crazy

Had a similar issue with my 97 that was easily corrected with a new sensor.
  21. P

Help please - my 98 5.0 Explorer started overheating, mechanic says cracked block?

"Block failed the test" What test is he referring to? I agree wit the others. Fill it up and drive it over to another shop. The fact that he didn't give you an estimate for replacing the engine makes me think he's not trying to scam you. I've never heard of a mechanic turning away a simple...
  22. P

Multiple clunks when engaging 4-low

So I said to the doc, "Doc, it hurts when I do this". The doc says "then don't do this"...etc. LOL couldn't resist!
  23. P

More on Loud Clunk

97 Transfer case Just got my back from the shop. I had the same loud bang/clang while excelerating from underneath. I alos had the excessive play in the front and rear outputs from the transfer case. The first shop told me it was the transfer case. The second shop agreed and specified that...
  24. P

Clunking sound while accelerating

I finally took it to a transmission shop and they confirmed what I suspected. I found excessive play in the transfer case rear output shaft that was just rebuilt last year. They told me the continual clunking was in fact the transfer case. Although they rebuilt the case with a 3 month...
  25. P

Clunking sound while accelerating

slip yoke I went ahead and followed some advise on this forum and lubed the slip yoke. No luck. It seems to bang while excelerating under load conditions. I'm starting to think it's trying to engage in 4WD. Since this is electrical, can I pull a fuse to help diagnose this problem? Maybe...
Back