Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Lincoln Aviator / Cobra Engine Swap

Yes the blocks will swap but a little more info would be helpful to get you pointed in the right direction, mileage on the aviator and what are u looking for from it like dd, tow vehicle, or flat out race truck?
  2. F

4.0L to 5.4L 4v Navigator swap.

Yep had Wait4meperformance do mine
  3. F

The v6 steering shaft comes though the body about 3" higher and I don't know if the v8 shafts where different? I am using the aviator ecu with no problems, but I did get it "adjusted" lol everything was pretty much bolt in except for the exhaust. I know what you mean by what comes by, that's why...
  4. F

Nice 5.4! Im going to save you some trouble if you want it lol. From my understanding the 4.6 and 5.4 blocks are the same so you should be able to use the aviator engine mounts with the 4.0 rubber. Then ur gona need the aviator manifolds, cause yes they are close, then ull need the aviator...
  5. F

Will 15" wheels fit on a 3rd gen Explorer

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/Benshorses/2011-11-13_17-09-47_526.jpg There you go kazer, i would go with the 16 or 17" rims, cause they fit and the 15s will rub on the calipers forsure.
  6. F

Will 15" wheels fit on a 3rd gen Explorer

You can make them fit, but I think the v8s had bigger bakes hence fore larger wheels? I got the stock 2nd gen to fit(15") with 1" adapters and grinding on the bottom of the spindles. http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/Benshorses/2011-11-12_13-19-32_893.jpg
  7. F

4.0 Crapped out, 4.6 Transplant!

Ya its not bad if you kept maintains on it, mine only had 124000 on it but I don't know how much the previous owner keep it up. But there's a reason why v8 explorers from factory had the lsd in it lol If you don't do to many quick launches, you b all right but you've been warned lol
  8. F

Nice! Can't wait to see some numbers, just a fyi the next thing that will probley break will be your rear dive line if it has higher miles( if its like mine you will break a cv joint lol, more power+ 3.55 gears+ open diff= sheared cv shaft :D)
  9. F

Yep then it'll b simple! Ull just need a computer from a v8 explorer and an engine harness to make it even easier, just plug and play! Lol and then Ull b in the v8 swap club lol
  10. F

Your going need a computer from an aviator if ur running dohc if ur sohc then a explorer will work, and and somebody to tune out the stuff Ull cut out, ie the aviator runs a dual runner intake with electronic butterflies but the computer is plug and play with ur explorer. Lol o and if u want ac...
  11. F

Diesel Swap

The 4.0 v-6 5r55w is a smaller bellhousing and DOES NOT fit up to the 4.6/5.4, but the internals r close to the same from what i can tell.
  12. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Don't u hate those little teaser videos that don't really show u anything at all? Well here's another! http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/Benshorses/dohc%20explorer/Xploderdynopullteaser.mp4 Ill upload a video of a walk around after a bit.
  13. F

4.6l DOHC ?

It runs!!!! Love the power from the intech motor! :D
  14. F

Project Aviator

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if one of you guys with an aviator could take some pics of the top end of the engine, like coolant and vacuum hose routing. Need help with my swap haha, Thanks in advance. Ben
  15. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Using the aviator tanny, as its a V8 (larger bellhousing) instead of the V6(small bellhousing) there's a pic in the photobucket album of the difference in the tranny size. Same tranny as all the V8s run I think. Bolted right to my transfer case no problem. :p:
  16. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Pretty sure there the same but could tell u for sure, althought the swap so far has been a bolt together swap. Ya it been pretty fun and frustrating at the same time but what else can u expect when u do somthin no one else has done. Btw once I get all the aviator stuff furgered out it would be...
  17. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Got the intake on tonight! One step closer I hope lol. And a few pics. If anyone has or can get pics of the top end of an aviator that would sweet ( vac lines and coolant line routeing). http://s527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/Benshorses/dohc%20explorer/
  18. F

anyone use the NKG V- power spark plugs?

Just sayin why would they use them in there if they didnt work? And Ive never seen and ngk v-power plug fail, now if ur runnin way to to lean or rich that will mess them up.
  19. F

anyone use the NKG V- power spark plugs?

Been runin them on mine 4 bout 2000 miles, no problem even runnin 14 afrs for about a 6 months lol. Heck if 1000 hp motors are usin them why cant our explorers? Besides id rather pay $2 a plug then $10
  20. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Well it diffenetly fits in the 3 gen! But it is TIGHT! A little background on the explorer first, its an 02 EB that I picked up pretty cheap, with a 4.0 v6 broken rear timing chain. First I was goin to put in one of the newer mustang 4.0, but thanks to good olde craigslist:D I found an 04...
  21. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Well I guess I have gottin further then anybody else then. Btw please dont tell me I shouldnt run the dohc cause your already to late :D, pictures to follow once I get them uploaded. Now just to get wiring figured out :rolleyes:
  22. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Sorry my bad I should have been more arcute, has anyone heard of anyone who has competed a 4.6l dohc engine swap. Im not tryin to sound like a a** lol. Ive shearched around and all ive have found is people talking about, and attempting it but nothing else no finished project, no runing explorer lol.
  23. F

4.6l DOHC ?

Does anyone know of anyone that has succesfully completed a swap like this?
  24. F

Locking hubs for 01 Explorer

Ya, but for us awd guys, i think it help alot more then you think. 1, my front axel isnt spinning all the time, 2, if a half shaft breaks im not f*** (ranger hubs stays together), 3, front end is alot lighter (fun for us guys that have engine work done). I could go on but driving is believing...
  25. F

Locking hubs for 01 Explorer

I dont know about the 2002 and up (newer body style) explorers, but on my 98 xlt i did convert it over to manual lockouts. Mine has the 302/4r70w/bw4406. You would really want to switch over the transfer case, other wise its pointless. You will need to buy the AVM hubs for a ranger with the pv...
Back