Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

only overheats around 30 miles plz help

I'm hoping that you got a bad stat when it was changed. The other options I can think of are a plugged up radiator or a head gasket failure.
  2. R

After 6 years of driving explorers....

Hope you have much better luck with this one man. Do the routine maintence and you should be ok. Dont forget a coolant flush every now and then. Enjoy
  3. R

Hope you have much better luck with this one man. Do the routine maintence and you should be ok. Dont forget a coolant flush every now and then. Enjoy
  4. R

Let me get this straight. You put $9k in a 2004 truck in just a few years of ownership?
  5. R

Possibile parasitic draw 2005 Explorer

Hey Guys, I just replaced my battery 2 weeks ago with a 700cca motorcraft. When I got it home, I put it right on my new smart charger to bring it up to 100%. After charging and the battery resting the state of charge was 12.8v. Now two weeks later, its down to 12.6v. Today I put with back on...
  6. R

coming up on 80,000mi..what should be replaced?

Just check the normal stuff. I would add a battery check, replace fuel filter and trans. filter if it hasn't already been done. Also got a big one, ball joints ball joints ball joints! Factory ones arent greasable and fail fairly regulary
  7. R

Ctek chargers

Just bought a Ctek US3300 from Amazon and love it. Was wondering if anyone else has one. Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY
  8. R

Transmission advice for 03, 97,000miles

Have the trans. filter changed. You get six quarts out when you do this. Much less of a chance for a prob. in the future. imo
  9. R

80% of 2005 Explorer Transmissions Fail

I think how its driven and if it's had a new filter every now and then can really help too.
  10. R

Ball joints

Hey guys, Everything went in fine. One side has greasable moogs and the other side has factory. Another good point with the moogs is the lifetime warranty.
  11. R

Ball joints

Hey, Just called to check on that thing. It has almost a quarter inch of play in that bad joint. They're doing the lower and upper on that side with the moogs. All I have to add is 20 bucks! Yay Costguard and Lou's auto repair! With that joint being so bad, anyone care to guess how long it had...
  12. R

Ball joints

thanks guys, just dropped the truck off. I don't think I'll be fixing anything other than that lower joint. I've got a 50 dollar deductible and it doesn't seem like it the top one should go bad anytime soon. I will be sure to save the old joint to make sure that everything was bad That they...
  13. R

Ball joints

Hey Guys, Was in for a state inspection and they found the lower joint on the passenger side is getting loose. Isnt 54K a little early to have one go bad? Extra warranty will cover the job. Was told the top was fine. Warranty wont cover the top if it isnt loose. Should I go ahead and pay the...
  14. R

Problems with Battery/Alternator AND Power Steering

I'd say take one prob. at a time. First the charging issue, it doesnt sound like the alternator is charging. It should be between 13.5v and 14.0 at idle. If not,replace alternator.I like the factory ones better because some of the ones at advance will charge fine, but the light doesnt go off...
  15. R

What problems can I anticipate?

trans. Service
  16. R

rearview mirror

thank you very much sir. Got it apart and made an outline on the windshield where the old glue was. Glued the silver piece on and put the mirror side up the next day. Worked like a charm.
  17. R

rearview mirror

Hey guys, The glue holding my rearview mirror on the windshield has failed. Was just dangling by the wires when I got in it. lol. I dont see a screw or allen bolt that loosens the silver piece that the mirror attaches to the windshield with. Anyone know how this comes off so I can glue it back...
  18. R

Synthetic oil change?

That Penz. Ultra is goood stuff! Its a factory fill for Ferraris! They happend to have that on sale at Advance.com my last change on the car. Gave me an extra 100 horses! lol! Usually go the Platinum or Val. synthetic. I'll definately check out those coupon codes. Like to save money.
  19. R

Synthetic oil change?

Thanks for the replies guys! Must not be doing too bad for my truck now. The mileage at a 6 month interval is about 3800 miles. I like the 6 month interval. I may catch a Advance Auto Jug o synthetic on sale just to see if I can tell any difference in the engine at all. Got a 5.7 firebird that...
  20. R

Synthetic oil change?

Am I wrong in thinking that city driving is considered severe service according to the book? probably should just keep on doing what im doing and pray for a little luck when the truck gets older.
  21. R

Synthetic oil change?

Hey guys, Ive got 55k on my explorer. I change the oil every six months and it ends up being a little less than 4k miles. Was wondering if synthetic oil may be a better choice to ward off the timing chain/ cassette failures. Im already running a blend oil now and have no problems.
  22. R

I might be buying a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

The transmission costs between $1500 and $2000 to rebuild. If you can afford this, then go for it.
  23. R

Shudder when coasting at highway speeds

Start down the highway at 60 or so, then, with your foot on the gas, lightly depress the brake. The engine should idle up slightly and then go down after you get off the brake. Im guessing the torque converter is bad.
  24. R

OEM tires

I might have to agree with the salesman. An H - rated tire is a tire that can handle speeds up to 130 mph. Do you really want to go that fast in your truck?
Back