Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

The mysterious 'exploding' rear windshield

Lucky you steve! just think of these rear windshields as a ticking time bomb waiting to explode thanks to ford's craftsmanship. don't worry, i'm hearing now that our explorers ('95-'01) aren't the only ones with this issue.
  2. R

Engine ping/rattle at idle

I'm no mechanic so what exactly am i looking at here? can this be fixed? (givin that i get checked and it is..) if so, is it a big job? you guys are probably right, my mechanics are idiots and i've been taking advice left and right. so this is pretty much the "DEATH RATTLE" or is it the timing...
  3. R

Aftermarket diamond cut lites

Talkin about 'skinnin the cat'... i was told from a friend that there is a way to 'clear' the lens off a cloudy headlight from the outside of course by using a method of sanding and buffing/polishing using what (I don't know) whatever the proceedure is.. I was told it worked and out here in...
  4. R

Aftermarket diamond cut lites

Hey celly... I'm really liking those headlights! Is there any mod. Needed for them ? I was too looking right now on eBay with those diamond cut clear lens and I'm glad I came here 1st! Right now I got the factory on and it's just too damn clouded my 5k xenon ain't penetrating to the ground the...
  5. R

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

yeah how much, where, and how many would I need to replace all of them?
  6. R

From all that i hear about the "even coverage" thing i wouldn't know if it's a good idea or not. Me personally, i really don't care what bulb it is as long as i get a bright even coverage on cluster board (led or standard) also, which ever lasts the longest without dimming is probably what i'll...
  7. R

I'm not converting to led but is there a brighter replacement bulb for the backlight of the cluster or is it a standard 194 bulb. Also how many do I need to replace all of them (cuz I'm getting tired of banging the dash to get the dark side to light up!)
  8. R

Foglight mod on a 2000 XLT

I've read some threads on the mod for having the foglights on when the parking light is on only and on my year and model it should already do that and it don't. For me, they only go on when the switch for them is on and i have the low beams on. They do not go on when it's just the parking lights...
  9. R

Yeah i got the 4.0 v6 which is what most people have, most of the people i went thru seem to be aiming not so much to the timing chain because it only rattles slightly when at idle (650rpm) but either the oil pump (which could explain that loud rapid sound of rattling when it starts up cold...
  10. R

not to get you started celly but what the hell is really up with the rear wiper? it either works or it doesn't (only when it wants to) and when it does... it barely if at all makes contact to the glass! anybody knows what the deal is? i got a fresh blade on it and everything.
  11. R

That's great !! now i don't feel so crazy when i tell other people what had happened. nice recall tho, u can only tell if and when it happens. thankfully i was able to hook up with safelite online within 2 hrs. and had it replaced that next morning for about $200.
  12. R

Has anyone heard of this freaky thing of the rear windshield shattering for no apparent reason. It happened to me when I was driving awhile back and wanted to know if anybody else experienced it. I already ruled out nothing hit it even tho it sounded like someone shot at me, it just exploded!
  13. R

Issues with alternator?

if I do get a h.o. With a smaller pulley would I really have any issues with the belt and the rpm at idle, given I put a new serp. Belt of the same size.
  14. R

yeah i keep hearing about the death rattle. what exactly is it? i only hear it faintly when i idle but as soon as the rpm revs it goes away. i think i may have narrowed it down somewhat between the valves tapping, timing chain, connecting rods, oil pump. but it's so hard to find the source, and...
  15. R

Issues with alternator?

yeah u kno what.... good question, more than likely it may be a 95a with the issues i got but i'll test it to be sure. if it's a 130a then i may have a faulty diode which could explain also, i believe it is the original and if so.. 180k mi. means this was a good one:) i'm also thinking with the...
  16. R

SOHC Death Rattle Prevention?

U are one of the few that perfectly describes exactly what type of rattle i have. I just posted my own thread on it so i don't know yet as to being the chains or the oil pump, those are like the two more common problems that i hear.
  17. R

Apart from the alternator issue i also have that popular and annoying rattle at idle (600-700 rpm) i'm very picky on my maintanence and have been since i got it back in 2007 with 145k on the clock. Didn't do it that much at all then but over the time it's getting worse. At startup, sometimes...
  18. R

Issues with alternator?

On my 00 xlt 4.0sohc everythings pretty much stock. However, the only thing i've upgraded and added was my 5000k xenon headlights and 100w foglights and a modest 400rms mtx thunder amp, 2 farad cap., and a 600rms 12'' kicker solo baric for my system. When driving, everythings cool. lagging...
  19. R

New member reppin philly!!!

Hey guys this is 'Rob (215)' and it's my 1st post! ;) Anybody else on my part of the planet (Philly) or nearby let me know! Makes me feel better :) Finally a place to call home for my explorer thoughts, I'm proud to be here!
Back