Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

what would cause these codes on 1995 explorer

The codes that you have are not related to the MAF. Clear the codes, then drive it and check which codes return.
  2. D

you can clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a couple min. Clear the codes and then re-check for codes.
  3. D

ok 214 cylinder id fault, this is generated by the camshaft position sensor, my manuals state that if the car starts, you should clear the code and then see if it re-appears. 335 egr sensor is out of self test range. first check the hoses to the sensor for splits. The manual then tells you...
  4. D

Miss and back fire.

O2 sensor would not affect only 1 cylinder. Since you have replaced the plug, verified spark and compression the next thing is the injector. I would recomend listening to the injector. If you have a mechanics stethoscope listen to the injector and compare it to others, (you could also use a...
  5. D

Ambient Air Temp Sensor

The IAT sensor plugs into the air intake tube, between the air cleaner, and the throttle body.
  6. D

Replacing hoses

The waterpump bypass hose on my 5.0 started leaking at 92k miles, less than 10 years old. It had never been touched before. It's hard to call a good maint interval on hoses, mine looked fine on the outside.
  7. D

Coolant flush need help 95 OHV

The small tee should be installed in the heater core lines. Make sure when you flush the system, that you have the heater on Max heat. You want the heater core flushed too. Yes you are correct, there is a lot of aluminum in the rad, water pump, intake manifold, to name a few. I would suggest...
  8. D

Wheel Play.. bad bearings?

Your diagnosis sounds likely. There should be very little play. You may want to purchase the inner tie rod ends while you're at it. Once everything is apart, closely check the inner rod ends. If they are good you can always return them, (keep the new one's in the bag until you decide, parts...
  9. D

Head bolt torque

I'm a little surprised that they would put rtv on a head gasket. I allways believed that they go on with no sealant. Did you remember to run a tap thru all the head bolt threads to clean them up?
  10. D

Check engine light - O2S Bank 2 Sensor 1

I would not worry about damage to the engine, but the front two sensors can adversly affect mileage (since those are the one's that are used to adjust the mixture). I would suggest replacing them. I used universal bosch sensors. If you go this route, I would recomend soldering the connections...
  11. D

Check engine light - O2S Bank 2 Sensor 1

Ok without all the specifics, your mechanic friend said that the code was for a lazy sensor. I assume that the crosscounts were low. You did not indicate the mileage, but I quess that you probably have over 100k miles on the 98. If these are the original O2 sensors, then lazy O2 sensors are easy...
  12. D

Pressure Tester Gauge for Measuring

It is normal for the needle to be bouncing around. Since the pressure is remaining near zero, it would appear that your cats are not clogged.
  13. D

$500 to replace purge canister and DPFE ... doesnt sound right?

Sounds way too much! I would take it somewhere else.
  14. D

Head bolt torque

I would recomend following the factory recomended procedure as close as possible. It may be a hassle, but in the long run it will probably be better. Headbolts, rod bolts, and main bearing bolts are all critical for long engine life.
  15. D

can i just hose clamp my a/c hose?

Call around to a few repair shops in your area. You are correct about replacing the rubber hose and clamps, but it requires a special die to crimp the new clamps properly. You may also do a search for hydraulic hoses. They would certainly be able crimp the new clamps.
  16. D

Do it Yourself A/C Recharge?

I have both ASE and EPA certs for ac work, and I cannot personally recomend these cheap kits. But I realize that when it is over 100 outside, people want their ac to work. With that being said. There are several things to keep in mind. If you buy a kit with dye, or oil mixed with the freon, if...
  17. D

I need a huge favor...

I was looking the the aftermarket. They list a stock replacement for around $5, and they also list a heavy duty, for severe service for around $20. Since I recently moved to Texas, I intend to replace mine (once it cools down a little here). I will post my results once I have enough data on it...
  18. D

I need a huge favor...

I do not know if you are aware of this, but before you replace the condensor, you should replace the orifice tube. There is a standard, and heavy duty tube, for severe service.
  19. D

Pressure Tester Gauge for Measuring

The gauge will give you a positive reading, of course you could check engine vac while bringing it up to a fast idle, then back down. Then pop out the O2 sensors and re-check the vac readings.
  20. D

A/C vent question.

I would suggest replacing the blower motor, fairly easy to do. You have to remove the coolant, and windshield washer containers to get access to the blower motor. But otherwise it is easy to swap. Don't forget to clean with squirel cage fan, it does make a difference. I would strongly advise...
  21. D

Oops! Wrapped Ipod Around Steering Wheel

Well if I was the one to pull it out of the car, chances are it would be bad! LOL. But I understand your situation. I would recomend taking a sharpie and tape. Center the wheel, mark the position with a sharpie, and then put tape to hold it in place as soon as possible. Very important to keep...
  22. D

No CEL, but... intake manifold gaskets?

I don't think washing the engine would affect the intake gaskets. I would start by checking the throttle possition sensor. And of course, I would not recomend washing the engine again.
  23. D

Oops! Wrapped Ipod Around Steering Wheel

Junkyard would be a bad idea, it would be very difficult to install properly. I would strongly recomend a new one. When you purchase a new one, it will have a piece of tape that holds it together/stationary. When you are ready to install, first loosen the nut holding the wheel on. Then and...
  24. D

help!!! common a/c problem

If the control module is all rusty, I would sugest starting with checking the connector, cleaning the contacts. Then run all the tests like The Jackel suggests. Of course if any water has gotten inside the module, it may be damaged.
  25. D

help!!! common a/c problem

You have a electonic display, not the base model! Well that explains a lot. you do not have a blower motor resistor. It is a solid state module that controls the fan speed. The module should have 5 wires O/BK, BR/O, W/PK, T/O, AND BK. So starting from the begining, does the fan run at all...
Back