Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

My 2001 had 185K in 2013 when it was rear-ended and totaled.. I had been driving it for about four years by then, I bought it at an auto auction. I just bought a 2000 yesterday with 164,000 on the clock. It is running beautifully. It has been well maintained by previous owner, came with all...
  2. K

Thermostat plastic housing...$490??!!

Thanks everyone! I called the mechanic (actually the shop owner) and without calling him a liar, told him I knew the part(s) could be found for less, and I could order them myself if he wanted... He quickly changed his tune and said he could get a "discount" which he would "pass along" to me...
  3. K

Thermostat plastic housing...$490??!!

2000 4.0 V6 Explorer. Had a serious coolant leak suddenly occur while driving on freeway, pulled off and when I looked under the hood I could see coolant/steam spraying back over the top of the block from the thermostat housing (which is plastic) I let things cool down and filled it up with...
  4. K

door lock...

Driver side door lock problems are common with these vehicles. Usually, it is a broken spring on the mechanical linkage. There are many threads in this forum dealing with this subject. Usually, the problem can be fixed fairly easily and cheaply yourself, sometimes new mechanisms are needed...
  5. K

Teens or Old people

I find therr to be annoying obnoxious and/or foolish dangerous drivers from all demographic groupings. However, Seniors and teenagers certainly represent significant numbers of problem drivers. Seniors though typically do things like drive to slow (in the fast lane) but they are generally...
  6. K

Turn signal mounting looking for plastic ferrules / clip info

Don't disregard the dealer automaticaly.... They may or may not have them on hand, but they could order them for you and have them in a day or two, and they would be the OEM correct part. Myself, I try to avoid the dealer if I can get the right part some where else, and I just went through a...
  7. K

Door lock help.

You can fix that door lock button... Welcome to the 2nd Gen door lock button won't work right club! There's an easy fix for this bad Ford engineering problem... You need to "re-spring" a small connector to the door lock button inside the door panel. Sort of jerry-rigged, but it fixes it...
  8. K

Unlocking drivers door with key, lock is picky..

I feel yur pain.... What you are describing sounds like the very common explorer "door-lock-button-spring-broke-due to bad ford engineering" problem. I had it myself, and fixed it, It can happen to remote unlock cars or regular unlock cars. I suspect you do not need to replace the...
  9. K

Rear wiper skips

Rear wiper fix successfull! :exp:I just did the finger shortening mod and fixed my rear wiper. Yes, thank you, high fives all around...:D My rear wiper did not touch the glass at all when wiping, although it parked itself perfectly in the little holder when done. I first tried bending the...
  10. K

Is the Big One coming..This Week?

I'm in Dana Point, south Orange county. Felt it pretty good here, about two minutes after the reported event at the epicenter. Strong rolling movement, started low, got pretty strong, faded away, seemed about 30 seconds. Meh. A normal So Cal evening. Hey, just realized- we've been having...
  11. K

How to: How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement

Pop up door lock button fixed! I have had my 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC Explorer about a month. It had a non-op drivers door lock button when I got it. 5 or 6 jiggles on the inside door handle and a hit or two on the unlock button would usually open it. If I was outside, I had to open the back door...
  12. K

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

2000 xlt 4.0 SOHC, 115,000 on the clock. Bought this used 1,000 miles ago. Runs great. Gears shift smooth and quiet. Looking around underneath the hood, appears to be all original drivetrain. Very clean engine compartment and undercarraige, Southern California is good to cars. No timing...
  13. K

Gas mileage on a '98

My average MPG to date: More mileage numbers, for your reading and comparison enjoyment: :D My third fillup since getting my 2000 XLT. 265.2 miles (80% city driving, 20% freeway) 14.40 gallons of 87 octane, 18.42 mpg. I am tracking my mileage to see how good I can get it. So far...
  14. K

Used some CLR on a wheel.....

You are right about the wheel weights... That double weighted wheel was done by amateurs I guess. CLR= Calcium, Lime, Rust. None of these materials are typically a problem on aluminum alloy rims. CLR is pretty good for porcelin sinks, bathtubs, showers, etc. Alloy rims get road grime...
  15. K

Gas mileage on a '98

I am going to research the acetone thing... I have heard others mention that with good results. In the interest of sharing statistical info: My second tank of gas in my 2000 XLT: 283.6 miles on 16.53 gallons of 87 octane, 17.16 mpg. Entirely city driving, no freeway driving at all.
  16. K

Gas mileage on a '98

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=gas+mileage Smitty, If you have some time to kill, check out this thread.... (it's like, 99 pages but very interesting re: EX milage.
  17. K

Gas mileage on a '98

Hi all- I have been wondering what kind of mileage to expect in my 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC. 114,300 moles on the clock. :exp: I have had it about 6 days now. I appreciate others members input, and so far I'm lovin' this forum. :D Well, I'll share my initial numbers: My first tank of gas...
  18. K

how bad have you been ??

Reading this thread makes me realize that I have gotten away with a lot of crazy stupid things in my youth that I had long forgotten... Anyway, In my not-so-youth about 2003, I was riding my motorcycle (a Honda Valkyrie) And decided to open her up on a long stretch of fast lane, I am doing...
  19. K

Drivers Side Door Lock Not Working Properly

me too... My 2000 XLT has the exact same symptoms you mention Sall. Thanks for sharing. That problem is frustrating, and now I"m gonna fix that sucka. By the way, I find many mentions of this same problem (Driver Door lock not working/sticking in lock position) in consumer on-line...
Back