Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

FIXED! Odd power window problem-GEM module?

Welp, of all the things that can happen, a Ford Explorer Sport Trac shows up the day after I order a new switch from A1Auto ( 31.95 shipped, not a bad deal and all good reviews ) and I pulled a window motor, master switch and GEM module for about the same price as I was paying for the switch...
  2. R

Interestingly, the OTD function boosts the power to the window through a grey wire attached to the red wire, which on another diagram shows that it's a resistance wire...not on the sport trac diagram however...the grey wire must boost the amps available to roll the window down. I'm also...
  3. R

well, looking at the schematics, it seems there are some similarities, but the differences are how the one touch down passes through the GEM...The reality is that the GEM only controls the one touch down side of the relay module. The buzzing I was hearing was the OTD relay trying to move the...
  4. R

Yes, I completely agree. I am going to sift over the wiring diagrams I was able to get with that link, and also compare them to the 99 power window diagram from the Explorer I got one of the switches from, as well as do my best to compare part numbers/cross referencing what I pulled from the...
  5. R

Oh, I didn't see that link at first, I have printed out and saved what I can, I will see where this leads me...thank you much for the link!
  6. R

Okay, before I through good money after bad, here's what I know. On the drivers door, I get 12v without touching a switch. IF I press to put the window down, that 12v goes to 0. On the passenger door, if I press up or down, I get 12v, switching polarity for up and down, but the actual window...
  7. R

Well, a new switch it's going to be, I'm not getting very far with this right now. Here's the problem I can't wrap my head around right now...I picked up a used GEM from a ford Ranger figuring I'll at least learn something. Well, I did. First, I can operate the windows that are working without...
  8. R

I have two used switches from the yard I pulled them from, they both have the same problem....
  9. R

So, the drivers power window decided to stay in the down position one night. All other windows worked normally. In an attempt to raise the window, I tried to figure out how to "jump" the motor without success. Removing the switch from the bezel allowed me to ultimately get the window "up" by...
  10. R

96 V8 Explorer, broken spark plug *pics inside of what I used*

Didn't want to risk breaking the easy out in the head, so I drove it up to the local mechanic. $100 later I'm good to go. Took them an hour and a half to get it out. Honestly, I'm not complaining. :thumbsup:
  11. R

96 V8 Explorer, broken spark plug *pics inside of what I used*

yet another victim Funny, I started my plug replacements on the "hard side" first to get it out of the way. All of those plugs were just slightly tightened against the seal and I had no problems at all. ( drivers side ) Passenger side, every single plug was in tight enough that it required...
  12. R

Explorer/Mountaineer Ford Repair Book Reference

I'd double check the tightness on the motor to transmission bolts, and also on the torque converter first. Wouldn't be the first vibration associated with those two items.
  13. R

Temp gauge rhythm

So, I'm curious as to whether I have something to look into or not. When driving, the temp gauge on our Explorer moves. It looks like you can see in the gauge movement the thermostat opening and closing. Being new to Fords and their engineers, is this something that is common in the 5.0? Or...
  14. R

How much MPG do you get V8's

We've been getting about 15.5 mpg. The wife drives it to work every day and her commute is just far enough for the engine and transmission to fully warm up and then she shuts her down. If you are getting sub 15mpg mixed mileage, I would suggest looking at your O2 sensors, EGR system, AIR...
  15. R

Battery Discharge Rate

that's a good step in the right direction. Me neighbor across the street has an 03-04 explorer and has been experiencing the battery drain problem...had the battery tested, though I don't know what tests were done. Hopefully the info here will help us discover what is causing the...
  16. R

Explorer/Mountaineer Ford Repair Book Reference

That would be located underneath the blower motor inside the engine compartment/passenger side. There are two small bolts holding in place. If you buy the replacement before you replace it, it will be easy to identify. However, it's basically a small rectangle with an electrical connection...
  17. R

Reading the Ford VIN

Well, that was a great link and I'm checking out the dozens of links you've accumulated....a wealth of info! Unfortunately, nothing about a tow package in the VIN. How do I verify options that came with this truck? I don't have the original window sticker, and there is nothing in the truck...
  18. R

How to: 3rd row seating in a 1st & 2nd gen Explorer

How do you like the seat? Good headroom? fold up for enough space for grocery shopping/have adequate space for normal shopping when its down? Is it easy enough to remove completely if necessary? I'd love to hear a review on that seat...might be the determining factor whether I bust part of a...
  19. R

Reading the Ford VIN

Hi, new to the forum. Got the link to this from a guy from the main site I frequent ( computer tech site ) when asking about this vehicle brand I wasn't familiar with! Might as well be swedish, I've only owned one other ford in my life ( an 84 Tempo ) and a beat up old Mercury ( 1965 Comet )...
  20. R

How to: 3rd row seating in a 1st & 2nd gen Explorer

http://www.jcwhitney.com/KUSTOM-FIT-THIRD-SEATS/GP_2006953_N_111+10201+600003385_10101.jcw Interesting topic. I had wanted a vehicle with 3rd row seating also, but the wife didn't like the Durango and wouldn't drive the Expedition ( too big ). This might just be the answer I'm looking for...
Back