Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Anybody got a Hurst short throw?

For those of you worried about the shifter being lowered when you do a body lift, check out the Hurst catalog. The have a large assortment of shifter arms, with various lengths, bends, and contours. I am very sure that they all are interchangeable as far as the attachment to the shifter...
  2. T

Flat upper radiator hose

You should also check (or just replace) the radiator cap. It should open up internally when the engine causes a vacuum in the cooling system and draw spare coolant from the coolant recovery tank. That is why the little rubber hose runs from the radiator cap neck the the coolant recovery tank.
  3. T

Sloppy Shifter

If you really want to do it right, get the Hurst shifter for it. The listing is for 4.0 Rangers, but it is the same transmission. Check Ebay for one, they show up periiodically (that's where I got mine). Installation is a snap, and you will never regret it. Looks great, too.
  4. T

Hard to Shift into Gears (manual Trans)/Trans Replace ????

Since the clutch bleeding has been covered pretty well, let me address the shifter acting funny. It sounds like what I recently had occur in my 94 XLT. The problem turned out to be the flimsy flat spring washers that are used to align the shifter itself. Mine became bent up (probably from...
  5. T

Acess to gauge cluster in 91 xlt

First, you need to remove the facing from the front. It is just a pressed fit, so pry it carefully at the edges. Be careful with the wiring to the 4WD switch, the rear wiper, and the rear window heater. They disconnect easily once you lift the plastic catches on the sides. You will need to...
  6. T

Fogged up windows

If your Explorer is equipped with factory air conditioning, going to the "defrost" setting should automatically turn on the air conditioner to help dry the air. The light doesn't come on, but it will still be running. Check to see that it is coming on (watch the air conditioner pulley and see...
  7. T

4wd, snow driving questions

If you can get a tire engineer from Goodyear, Cooper, or one of the other major tire companies to endorse that concept, I'll consider it. The point about sidewall flex and heat damage still stands.
  8. T

Longer startup when cold

A good multiweght synthetic oil will probably do wwonders for your cold starting abilities. Here in Alaska, I have started using the new Mobil 1 0W-40 year round, and it is great. The lower viscosity oil lets the engine spin over more easily, and lets the engine build up oil pressure more...
  9. T

4wd, snow driving questions

Sorry, but I have to taker exception to the suggestion of reducing the air pressure in your tires in any onroad situation, ESPECIALLY on an Explorer. That works for rock crawlers and offroad guys who are trying to get traction on uneven surfaces, and almost requires the use of bead lockers to...
  10. T

Alternator bearing lubricant?????

I agree with the WD-40 idea, but the graphite idea is a DEFINITE bad idea, because graphite is an excellent electrical conductor (the brushes of most alternators and starters are made from it). Spraying graphite inside the alternator will short it out everywhere the graphite touches, possibly...
  11. T

Check Engine light w/ code 19

As indicted on my original post, the error comes up during KOEO, but also shows in CM. Code 19 or 019, same thing (my code reader doesn't read out numbers just count the flashes). The code was verified by my mechanic. The engine runs fine, mileage is good, but I can't pass IM with the check...
  12. T

Check Engine light w/ code 19

My 94 XLT throws a check engine light shortly after startup, and the code reader reads a code 19 during KOEO, indicating either a proble with the idle settings of a problem reading engine rpm's. Any suggestions or comments? Any help will be gratefully accepted.
  13. T

How old is too old to switch to synthetic?

If you check out the Ford dealer garages, they have a sign behind the counter that says Ford recommends 5W-30 synthetic for ALL vehicles, regardless of age or mileage. I personally have run Castrol 5W-50 synthetic in both of my vehicles, and it has literally saved the engines in both of them...
  14. T

A4LD Swap option from Advance Adapters

Those of you who remember the origins of this topic may remember that it was for a viable transmission swap to upgrade the Explorers, either manual or automatic. Since we appear to have one for the automatic drivers, it would seem to be time to do the same for the stir-your-own crowd (like me)...
  15. T

Maintenence tracking and reminder software?

A while back I picked up a CD from Motor Trend that did pretty much just what you described. You put in yout basic data for each vehicle you have, and it reminds you of when things are due for checking. I din't remember if it keeps track of past maintenance, but I think it does (I don't have...
  16. T

Alaska Explorers

My Alaska Explorer isn't far from stock so far, but plans are in the works for some changes fairly soon.. I seem to have one of the few 4-door manual trans Explorers around here. I really would like to get a manual t-case sometime soon, as well as the Hurst manual shifter kit. I have been...
  17. T

block heaters

An engine block heater is designed to warm up the whole block, oil included. The most efficient way is to warm the coolant in the block, and the oil will get heated right along with it. Contrary to some people's belief, it should NOT warm up the radiator coolant all that much. Keep in mind...
  18. T

How long do you warm up your truck?

If your Ex takes a long time to register temp on the gauge, you most likely haf a stuck open or broken thermostat, which is fairly easy to change out. This is fairly common on the Explorers after a fair amount of mileage. When you do replace the thermostat, don't forget to "burp" the cooling...
  19. T

battery cables & sizes

Speaking from 35 years of electronic/electrical experience, I would recommend you install the heaviest wire (0 ga.) to the starter. The reason is that the starter uses much more current than anything else during normal operation, on the order of 200-400 amps. I agree with the other...
  20. T

"True" performance intake kit

Color me very interested in a Gen 1 X tube or kit. Keep us posted.
  21. T

Short Throw Shifter

For anyone having problems with the shifter handle coming loose, the answer seems pretty simple. According to the picture of the shifter, there is plenty of thread extending out the other side from the bolt heads. Find out what the thread size is and put a locknut there (use an aircraft...
  22. T

HARDCORE winterization tips.

Alaska Ex survival info The best thing you can do is to put a good block heater system in it and keep it plugged in whenever you are not driving it. I use a Kims Hotstart (tank type, 1500 watts, replaceable heating element) installed in the heater return line under the front of the engine. In...
  23. T

I need new shocks.

Bilstein shocks Go with the Bilsteins if you can get a good price on them. I have them on my 94 XLT 4-door, and I wouldn't trade them. Smooth running on the street, firm going around corners, and a lifetime warranty. Also, they are made by the company that has set the standard for racing...
  24. T

20W-50 Too Heavy?

Go to a Ford dealer garage and you will find a big sign on the back wall stating that now Ford recommends 5W-30 oil in ALL ford vehicles, regardless of model year, except under specific weather conditions, like extreme cold weather. In Georgia, you most likely won't have any viscosity problems...
  25. T

Key in door won't turn

Check the cut pattern on your key. See if it has one or two small high spots. Mine has one, and after a fairly short time, one side's high spot will shave off just a little from sliding into the lock itself. When it does, my key will only work in the driver's door and ignition, not the...
Back